What you think?

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Re: What you think?

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:02 pm

twisted lines wrote:10’ 6” or 11’ will make it a lot easier to get the headboard, galley, and Queen size bed all inside :NC

Not sure what you mean.
with a great mustache comes great responsibility
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:08 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:Here's my rig: Image

Very similar to yours, it was designed as a toy hauler so the galley is in the front. A couple of observations: The boats don't stay on the trailer for long. The way I've used mine is that the trailer gets parked at the camp site, the boat(s) are transferred to the TV to take them to the lake or river. I only carry boats on the trailer when I am ferrying several boats. In fact, I removed the roof racks a few years ago to repaint and haven't put them back on. I plan to convert mine from a side opening to top opening door. With a top opening door you can throw a tarp over it to make a quick shelter when you want to cook something and it's raining. I had to use special 270 degree hinges so I could swing the door all the way to the side to tie it down. It doesn't take much wind to make it swing around.

this trailer will be used as a hotel on wheels for a while so the canoes will be ontop more so than just to get from point a-b. the top of the trailer will be storage for them if that makes any sense. believe me plenty of people have suggested for the same reasons you are to go with a lift door. I have thought about it and due to the use of the trailer I have come up with that the back door/doors need to be a swing and not lift. I'm starting to lean toward 2 barn door style doors, however. I just need to find good directions to do that. as far as the latch issue Im thinking I will be having the door latch to the pull-out and then a latch system that will drop to the ground if I go with one large one.
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:14 pm

It looks good to me. (Except for that flat back -yuck-yuck-yuck ;) )

We've got a stripper canoe I built a while back. The logistical problem with carrying it on the trailer, of course, is the fact you'll have to camp at your put-in spot or move the camper to go for a paddle.

Is there a way to carry it on your tow vehicle?

Just a thought,

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:24 pm

twisted lines wrote:10’ 6” or 11’ will make it a lot easier to get the headboard, galley, and Queen size bed all inside :NC

Sorry not sure what you mean. the total length of the box is 10 feet
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:17 pm

30dayreviews wrote:...............

this trailer will be used as a hotel on wheels for a while so the canoes will be ontop more so than just to get from point a-b. the top of the trailer will be storage for them if that makes any sense. believe me plenty of people have suggested for the same reasons you are to go with a lift door. I have thought about it and due to the use of the trailer I have come up with that the back door/doors need to be a swing and not lift. I'm starting to lean toward 2 barn door style doors, however. I just need to find good directions to do that. as far as the latch issue Im thinking I will be having the door latch to the pull-out and then a latch system that will drop to the ground if I go with one large one.

In that case, I'd go with a pair of doors. That will be lighter with less stress on the trailer walls. They'll also be narrower which will make them easier swing all the way around to lie flat against the sides. My single door can't lie flat against the side; I have to tie it to the fender which is not ideal.

Here's an example of the type of hinge you'll need.

Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:13 pm

My 10' box is about 6" to 1' too short; to do what I want, so I must adjust :o

Queen mattress is 80" long .

If your set on the door buy it, same place a lot of people buy the entry doors; I built mine.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:18 pm

tony.latham wrote:It looks good to me. (Except for that flat back -yuck-yuck-yuck ;) )

We've got a stripper canoe I built a while back. The logistical problem with carrying it on the trailer, of course, is the fact you'll have to camp at your put-in spot or move the camper to go for a paddle.

Is there a way to carry it on your tow vehicle?

Just a thought,

:thinking:

Tony

hey Tony yea I think we talked about this and my canoes come in around 20 lbs so moving them from point to point is no big deal at all. Iv got an idea for wheels for it for those times I have to take it really far. nice canoe you have there oh and this is Justin Prim from the FB group if yea didnt already know
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby 30dayreviews » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:26 pm

twisted lines wrote:My 10' box is about 6" to 1' too short; to do what I want, so I must adjust :o

Queen mattress is 80" long .

If your set on the door buys it, the same place a lot of people buy the entry doors; I built mine.

yea I'm going with building mine as i can't afford to buy that large of a door from challenger. I'm already getting my entry doors from them as is. this is 6' 1/2" for the bed. if I make it any bigger it wond be able to fit the cooler or the size pull out id like
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:36 am

Tony yea I think we talked about this and my canoes come in around 20 lbs....

Gotha.

Twenty? Sweet craft. It must be a joy to paddle. You'll have to post a pic when you've got it together.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby 30dayreviews » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:55 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Tony yea I think we talked about this and my canoes come in around 20 lbs....

Gotha.

Twenty? Sweet craft. It must be a joy to paddle. You'll have to post a pic when you've got it together.

:thumbsup:

Tony

yup 23 I believe was finished with its skin on frame I will definitely be sharing pictures of the trailer and the canoes will be with it
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Sketch up designs