Improvements made

Member designs created in Sketchup or other cad program

Improvements made

Postby 30dayreviews » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:34 pm

after taking into consideration some of the thoughts on my last post here I have now extended the bed to be 75 inches long or a standard short queen. I have also turned the cooler so that the heater could fit behind it. I have also added where my 5.3-gallon water container will go. the gally still needs all of its dividers and drawers / pull out section for the stovetop. I will be going with double doors instead of one large one to help cut down on the wind. I also modeled in the bed when its folded up into a couch. please let me know what you think :D 164171164172164173
with a great mustache comes great responsibility
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Re: Improvements made

Postby lfhoward » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:41 pm

Looks like a well thought out design. Good for you for incorporating a heater. You’ll be glad you did because you can camp in all four seasons. Where will the fuel tank live?

My other question is how tall are you? I’m 6’3 and a short queen wouldn’t be long enough for me. It’s worth designing it for an 80 inch queen mattress because if it’s uncomfortable, or if you’re forced to sleep diagonally and your partner isn’t comfortable, you won’t want to go camping as often. You could probably take another 5 inches out of the headboard cabinets if you needed to.

Some other things to think about: where will your electrical runs and power outlets and reading lights be located? This consideration could affect the design of cabinets, etc. You may also want to consider a ceiling fan for hot weather. Even in cool weather, cracking the fan open a bit lets humid air that rises to the ceiling out so it’s less humid in your trailer.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 30dayreviews » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:27 pm

lfhoward wrote:Looks like a well thought out design. Good for you for incorporating a heater. You’ll be glad you did because you can camp in all four seasons. Where will the fuel tank live?

My other question is how tall are you? I’m 6’3 and a short queen wouldn’t be long enough for me. It’s worth designing it for an 80 inch queen mattress because if it’s uncomfortable, or if you’re forced to sleep diagonally and your partner isn’t comfortable, you won’t want to go camping as often. You could probably take another 5 inches out of the headboard cabinets if you needed to.

Some other things to think about: where will your electrical runs and power outlets and reading lights be located? This consideration could affect the design of cabinets, etc. You may also want to consider a ceiling fan for hot weather. Even in cool weather, cracking the fan open a bit lets humid air that rises to the ceiling out so it’s less humid in your trailer.

here are the answers to your question.
1. the gas tank will be outside the vehicle sitting on the extended fender.
2. 5'8" on a good day so the short queen should be just fine for me anyone that may stay with me.. if not there is always the tent for them lol.

I can't take any room out of the headboard because of what I have planned for it. it's only just over 11 deep as it is so any thinner would render it useless for my purpose.
there will be a fan however I have not gotten to adding it into the drawing as of yet.
just about all electrical and switches will run in the roof with an exception of two wires to the side of the camper for exterior lighting. I have yet to put in the power center and such into the plans. that hopefully will be done within the next weak or so.
thanks for the suggestions and thoughts. they were definitely valid consernse.
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby saywhatthat » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:54 pm

turned the cooler so that the heater could fit behind it

So you are trying to heat the cooler?
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby 30dayreviews » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:27 pm

saywhatthat wrote:
turned the cooler so that the heater could fit behind it

So you are trying to heat the cooler?

Lol No but there are hoses that direct the air. many others have it in the same place and Honestly think that if the heater is on the cooler will be outside as it will probably be cold enough to freez what ever is in the cooler by the time I turn that heat on.
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby twisted lines » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:13 am

First tear drop I looked into was very nice!
Small, the guy laughed the same time I did and said, you won't fit!
The scale of yours makes me envious :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:12 am

I would consider replacing the heater with a hot water heater. You can use it to heat the cabin with a heat exchanger, pump and thermostat, and having hit water for washing dishes is something you will appreciate every trip. Unlike the heater that would be dead weight on many trips.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:21 am

Unlike the heater that would be dead weight on many trips.

Wouldn't the heat exchanger and pump be dead weight too? (That's just a tease.)

But... have you built one or know of one of these built for a teardrop?

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:31 am

Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby 30dayreviews » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:44 pm

twisted lines wrote:First tear drop I looked into was very nice!
Small, the guy laughed the same time I did and said, you won't fit!
The scale of yours makes me envious :thumbsup:

Yea I'm going bigger than most and its adding complications not gonna lie however I think it will be well worth it when it's colder and I want to stay inside lol
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby 30dayreviews » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Socal Tom wrote:I would consider replacing the heater with a hot water heater. You can use it to heat the cabin with a heat exchanger, pump and thermostat, and having hit water for washing dishes is something you will appreciate every trip. Unlike the heater that would be dead weight on many trips.

due to the weather up here in ND, I don't want any sitting water that could freeze or cause more issues than needed. from what I understand the heater is light and really shouldn't add any weight that would make a difference at all even if it is just dead weight.
30dayreviews
Teardrop Builder

Postby twisted lines » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:28 pm

Socal Tom wrote:I would consider replacing the heater with a hot water heater. You can use it to heat the cabin with a heat exchanger, pump and thermostat, and having hit water for washing dishes is something you will appreciate every trip. Unlike the heater that would be dead weight on many trips.

Guess I didn't see this :thinking: :twisted: :? Kinda want hot water anyway!
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Sketch up designs