Saturate the wood frame before PMF skinning?

Let's protect our teardrops! Let's talk sunbrella, carports, sheds and garages..

Saturate the wood frame before PMF skinning?

Postby Ystei » Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:30 am

I'm about to start my build of a 2x2" wooden framed foamie build for my 8x14' truck bed.

It's going to have foam in between the frame, so the PMF will be laid straight on the wooden frame.

I'm of course slightly concerned what will happen to the wood if/when it has leaks in the PMF protecting the wood.

So I wonder: would it be good to treat the wooden frame before sealing it in behind the TB2, canvas and paint?

For example with some priming paint / oil to saturate the wood like I would on a wooden house wall before painting it.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my 2201117TG using Tapatalk
Ystei
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Saturate the wood frame before PMF skinning?

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:43 am

For example with some priming paint / oil to saturate the wood...

I'm not a PMF guy, so take this with a grain of salt.

TB2 glue is designed to adhere to bare wood. Not a wooden surface that has been treated with paint or any other substance.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Saturate the wood frame before PMF skinning?

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:54 am

You can use "the Mix" which is thinned oil based poly. Start with a 75/25% thinner to poly mix, let it dry, then 50/50%, let it dry, then 25/75 etc. You are trying to saturate the wood with polyurethane.

You really only need to do this is areas the PMF may sit in prolonged contact with water, areas that may not dry in a day or two like where the camper rests on the truck. PMF isn't really meant for submerged surfaces. Whatever you can do with drains and channels to prevent water pooling in a good idea too.

Make sure you overlap the canvas in the treated area because the wood to canvas bond won't be as good. That's OK if it is well attached to another piece of canvas that wraps around the joint.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Teardrop Protection