Security

Let's protect our teardrops! Let's talk sunbrella, carports, sheds and garages..

Re: Security

Postby Larry C » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:58 am

Bogo wrote:
BTW, you forgot a portable MAPP gas torch for cutting the chain.

I didn't forget MAPP gas, It hasn't been available since 2008, besides it wouldn't cut steel anyway, not without oxygen. :beer:
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Postby Larry C » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:01 pm

marshall0000 wrote:I bought sufficient insurance and do not worry about it. Life is too short, enjoy!

Good point! :thumbsup:

Larry C
500 Club

Postby Bogo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Larry C wrote:
Bogo wrote:
BTW, you forgot a portable MAPP gas torch for cutting the chain.

I didn't forget MAPP gas, It hasn't been available since 2008, besides it wouldn't cut steel anyway, not without oxygen. :beer:

Why did they take it away? Ah, I see the plant making it shutdown. Map-Pro should work as a replacement, 5300F with O2, and, yep my setup has on O2 tank.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Larry C wrote: If your really worried about somebody stealing your trailer, you could just move to BC where they don't have any bad people or any crime whatsoever. :beer:

What about all the hoser problems up there? :shock: :lol:

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby legojenn » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Larry C wrote: If your really worried about somebody stealing your trailer, you could just move to BC where they don't have any bad people or any crime whatsoever. :beer:

I am in the wrong part of the country. I am lucky that the worst property crime that I have dealt with as an adult is a stolen propane tank from my barbecue and a cheap $100 bike that was too small for me anyhow. I am also fortunate that I have never been a victim of any violent crime. However, I think that I should move to BC. The only part of the country that is higher-taxed and over-regulated than Quebec, but at least there is no crime, not even on Vancouver's downtown east-side or after the Canucks choke in the Stanley Cup.
Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Postby Larry C » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:05 pm

legojenn wrote:

I am in the wrong part of the country. I am lucky that the worst property crime that I have dealt with as an adult is a stolen propane tank from my barbecue and a cheap $100 bike that was too small for me anyhow. I am also fortunate that I have never been a victim of any violent crime. However, I think that I should move to BC. The only part of the country that is higher-taxed and over-regulated than Quebec, but at least there is no crime, not even on Vancouver's downtown east-side or after the Canucks choke in the Stanley Cup.

You and others are getting my jist completely wrong. I AM NOT FROM BC or do I ever have a desire to visit the Province!
If you read the whole thread you will come across this post:

Postby biziedizie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:15 pm

No wheel pulling here, no locks will be on the doors either.
We don't have these problems of theft while camping, got to love B.C :D

It was my tongue in cheek response to a clear cross border dig from a BC'er :thumbdown:

Larry C
500 Club

Postby KennethW » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:58 pm

I would think if you had 1" pipe and, thread and weld a flange on the end, put it through the hole in the wheel between the spring and the frame then put a lock on the inside of the wheel. Easy to unlock with a key but hard to cut off.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eamarquardt » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Suzy and I spent a couple of days in Vancouver, BC in June. We were told by our hotel's clerk that the area near the Gaslamp district wasn't entirely safe after dark. When we were in the Gaslamp district we had an interesting conversation with a fellow whose delivery truck was covered with graffiti. He wasn't all that enamored with the behavior of some BC residents either.

I think the reports of there being no "bad guys" in BC might be a tad exaggerated.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:46 am

I am still trying to figure out how to make the draw bar of my tow hitch more challenging to take, is there a lock of some sort to make mine less desirable than the next guys.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bogo » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:32 pm

There are draw bar lock pins. Just search for "drawbar lock pin" without the quotes.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:14 am

Greaat thanks, I know if someone really wants to steal it they can even locked up but I am going to make them work for it even a little bit.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby len19070 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:51 am

Another easy thing to do is to just remove the Coupler!

On a single 2" bar its only 2 bolts.

Now on an "A" frame that's another story.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Java Jack » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:00 pm

There was a guy on the CampInn Forum that cut the hitch coupler off his trailer and welded a 2" receiver in it's place. Then welded the hitch coupler to the hitch insert.

When he needs to leave his trailer, he just pulls the entire hitch coupler out and takes it with him.

Pretty hard to steal a trailer if there is no hitch coupler to hook up. You would need a flatbed at that point because I pretty sure it would be hard to find a way to connect up a hitch coupler to his trailer.

What I don't know is how much (if any) this might compromise the integrity of the hitch connection. Basically you are going from receiver to hitch coupler, to hitch ball to receiver =^0= (sorry, crude representation where = is the receiver on the trailer and tow vehicle, ^ is the hitch coupler and 0 is the hitch ball).

Figure if you put on a wheel lock on one of the wheels, you would have to be one VERY determined thief to steal that trailer. I am guessing there would be easier targets to steel at that point.

I may look at doing something like that with my 560 given how much it cost. I would be pretty upset if it was stolen. I have full replacement insurance but still, helluva way to ruin your trip.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.
Regards,
Java
Proud Owner of a CampInn 560 Ultra
Blog: http://cre8tiveapps.blogspot.com/
Video: https://youtu.be/TLLFt3vzFoA
Sill Images: http://imgur.com/a/EE0zC#0
Java Jack
Teardrop Master

Postby citylights » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:18 pm

tlsallada wrote:I use a lock I bought from Harbor Freight on both my boat trailer and my camper. Although it came from HF, The build quality is good and it doesn't leave a lot of area for a bolt cutter or cut off wheel to get into it and cut it off.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-8-eighth ... 95831.html

As others have mentioned, a determined thief can take anything - the locks and chains will slow them down and make them create noise which is their worst enemy and draws attention.
terry s
Red Lion PA

I used to have one of those. I filled it with dust and rust and the key wouldn't work to get it off. I flooded it with WD40 every day for a week and it still wouldn't come loose. I ended up cutting it off with an angle grinder and a couple of cutting blades. I like the idea, but not it doesn't work in a wet, dirty environment.
citylights
500 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:12 am

Found this online while searching for a security system for my hotrod project and just thought I'd put it out there for general knowledge.

Pricey.....yes, and a monthly fee to boot. Just another option to protect your hard earned investment and sweat equity. :thinking:

http://www.jegs.com/p/Tattletale/tattle ... 60601email
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Protection