Outer skin sources for skin similar to Intech trailer

Finishes, paints and coatings

Outer skin sources for skin similar to Intech trailer

Postby Delinport » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:54 pm

I'm currently designing a trailer based on an aluminum trailer and frame. Most of the frame will be 1" square aluminum tube. I plan on using VHB tape to attach the outer skin like Intech does in the video below. The problem is, I don't know what the material is or where to source it. Anybody know of a product that can be purchased in the US that will work for the exterior? Preferably close to Oregon. Thanks for the help in advance.

https://youtu.be/99mcxgYeQCw
Delinport
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Outer skin sources for skin similar to Intech trailer

Postby tony.latham » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:16 pm

I'm guessing it's filon. Dunno where to source it.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:01 pm

I only searched one word; Thanks Tony
https://www.recpro.com/aluminum-sheet-metal/
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby sagebrush » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:23 am

Recpro also sells filon. :)
We ain't skeer'd of the dark!

Living large in a small way!
sagebrush
Platinum Donating Member

Postby kennyrayandersen » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:16 am

Delinport wrote:I'm currently designing a trailer based on an aluminum trailer and frame. Most of the frame will be 1" square aluminum tube. I plan on using VHB tape to attach the outer skin like Intech does in the video below. The problem is, I don't know what the material is or where to source it. Anybody know of a product that can be purchased in the US that will work for the exterior? Preferably close to Oregon. Thanks for the help in advance.

https://youtu.be/99mcxgYeQCw

I was considering this method myself, though due to cost, and yes weight, I've drifted back to mostly wooden/foam frame with aluminum or fiberglass skins. If you are set on aluminum, and there are lots of reasons to be, then I think this could be a very good way to go. However, 1in. sq tubing doesn't have much inertia (bending strength) - even if you use .125 in. wall construction (you'd be better off using 1x2 .063 in. wall, with the height oriented in the direction of the biggest loading, for bending stiffness); so, your strength would have to come mostly from the skins with the frame merely acting as the skeleton. The VHB tape is super strong, so I don't see any issues there. In fact I think the 1" sq tubing would probably be fine for the sides, but not the roof cross members - especially if you are going to a 5 ft. width - that's a long span for 1 in. sq. tubing and the skin adds only so much in bending inertia. I'd use 1x2 tubing as a minimum for the roof cross members. And there us no way to use 1 in. square tube for the actual trailer chassis, though I've run the numbers and for a very small teardrop the 1x2 in rectangular tubing could work for the trailer chassis as well. I will post about it shortly.
kennyrayandersen
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets