Epoxying an uneven roof?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Epoxying an uneven roof?

Postby yayeric » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:54 pm

Hello!

I'm intending on adding a roof design using a similar concept to the photo below. I'd have an additional 1/8" thick Baltic birch layer over a standard roof.

Because the surface will no longer be flat, is it possible to still epoxy coat the surface? Epoxy coat with fiberglass mesh? Should I fiberglass epoxy coat the roof, then add the additional roof design element?

I have no clue what I'm doing, but I'm stubborn and I intend on making this happen. Any ideas or recommendations are highly appreciated, thanks everyone!

Best,

-yayeric
Attachments
Capture9000.PNG
Capture9000.PNG (390.75 KiB) Viewed 630 times
yayeric
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Epoxying an uneven roof?

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:11 pm

is it possible to still epoxy coat the surface? Epoxy coat with fiberglass mesh? Should I fiberglass epoxy coat the roof, then add the additional roof design element?

You can't glass over a multi-layered laminate like that. It would really look rough. You could coat it with a thin epoxy. But you will still need to coat it with a spar varnish because UV rays eat epoxy like monkeys eat bananas. And be prepared to refinish every two years or so even while keeping it stored out of the sun's rays.

You probably should fiberglass/epoxy before you add your design elements.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby yayeric » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:25 am

tony.latham wrote:
is it possible to still epoxy coat the surface? Epoxy coat with fiberglass mesh? Should I fiberglass epoxy coat the roof, then add the additional roof design element?

You can't glass over a multi-layered laminate like that. It would really look rough. You could coat it with a thin epoxy. But you will still need to coat it with a spar varnish because UV rays eat epoxy like monkeys eat bananas. And be prepared to refinish every two years or so even while keeping it stored out of the sun's rays.

You probably should fiberglass/epoxy before you add your design elements.

Tony

Hey Tony,

Given how thin the design element is (1/8"), how would you attach it to a varnished surface?
yayeric
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:40 pm

If you really want to do something like that, and it is pretty cool, why not use a weather proof material? I'm thinking a plastic or aluminum/plastic laminate material over a properly waterproofed roof.

Sign makers have access to all kinds of interesting materials that are made to withstand the elements for years. Maybe attached with VHB tape if a suitable adhesive can't be found?
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:02 pm

Given how thin the design element is (1/8"), how would you attach it to a varnished surface?

Probably epoxy. I might suggest you do a practice run on some scrap first.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:07 am

This could be done using glass weave and epoxy. Laminate the flat surface first. Laminate each subsequent layer individually and bond onto the previous layer using thickened epoxy. However, I would leave out the cutout void spaces, as this would be an area for moisture and debris to collect. Just do those details with paint.

That being said, it would be a whole lot easier, and probably less expense, to just VHB tape plastic cut outs onto fiberglass surface. Just gotta make sure tape is compatible with plastic.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:26 am

The vhb may leave a gap?
Racking up; And Rapin foam