Insulating the camper

Finishes, paints and coatings

Insulating the camper

Postby Skates1969 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:04 pm

I need to start insulating the roof of the trailer, and had planned to use polystyrene (i.e. Styrofoam) insulation between my roof batts. However, recently I saw a product called foil bubble insulation. It is basically bubble wrap with a foil coating. My research to date is inconclusive if this is a better product. I can see benefits due to how thin it is and how flexible it is. I could also see how it would be easier to make a vapor barrier out of than with foam boards. However, because its insulative properties are mostly due to its reflective surface, I have not found any information on how it performs in an RV or mobile platform. I was wondering if anyone has used it, and if so, what are your thoughts and impressions. Thank you.
Skates1969
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Insulating the camper

Postby mountainminded » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:39 pm

I wrap my poly water tank with the foil faced bubble wrap as a moisture barrier to prevent direct contact with the surrounding plywood. Since the water tank will sweat in high humidity it seems like a good idea. I don't think of this product as a substitute for bulkier insulation (like the foam panels you mention) and would stick with something that has more loft and R value.

Last edited by mountainminded on Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
-Rob

Rob Walker, Trailers4Two Bend Oregon
mountainminded
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Skates1969 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:19 pm

Thanks for the information.
Skates1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:52 am

I use foam board. It sits on top of the 1/8" plywood headliner and is covered by another sheet of 1/8" ply. Of course it's nestled between 2" spars.

Because of the structural integrity of the foam, I think I could walk on it. The entire roof is a structural system.

You won't gain strength with bubble wrap. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Skates1969 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:22 pm

Thanks for the thoughts on this. Although walking on the roof is not a priority as I am building a roof rack, I am leaning toward polystyrene. By the way, I have roughly followed your book, for the most part. I've enjoyed it.
Skates1969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:34 pm

I have roughly followed your book, for the most part. I've enjoyed it.

:thumbs-up:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets