Alternative exterior materials

Finishes, paints and coatings

Alternative exterior materials

Postby kmack67.km » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:58 pm

Hi,

I am just starting to contemplate my next trailer. I am thinking about an insulated Kammback style teardrop. The interior side of the walls will be plywood and I'll likely use 1" or 1.5" styrofoam for the insulation. My initial thought was to use plywood with an aluminum skin on the outside but now I am wondering if anyone has used a single alternative material, for the exterior side of the walls, that will serve both structural and weatherproofing objectives; maybe something like ACM (Aluminum Composite Material) panels. Any experience you can share regarding ACM, or other materials would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Alternative exterior materials

Postby kronan » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:14 am

Hey Kevin.
Kevin in Ontario here too.
Just new to this forum.
Trying to learn up PMF a bit.

I just happened to call these guys in Toronto yesterday re : ACM panels

https://www.lawnbagsigns.com/aluminum-signs.php

Sign business. But was hoping for some used material; maybe some seconds ?

There’s another advert on Kijiji- “ Aluminum Composite Panels for sale” - Cambridge address.
I think those ones are used (not sure.)

Anyway - good luck with your build.

I’m just trying to get oriented here as a noob. Got some ideas for things I’d like to build - not a camper.
Maybe start with a tonneau cover for my truck. So - main goal is lightweight, and obv weatherproof.

Let the research begin !
kronan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:14 am

There are two things to think about with any kind of composite panel: how are you going to join them and how are you going to seal the edges/corners.

A lot of candidates for alternative materials lose some of their advantages when you start think about these two aspects of using them to build a trailer.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ottsville » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:52 am

There was someone here who used ACM for their trailer - can't remember who, but a forum search should turn it up.

Why not just a DIY panel of ply interior/foam/aluminum sheet?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Capebuild » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:22 am

You may want to have a look at Camp-Inn's Road Toad.
If I was going to build another trailer (and I'm not) I'd think about using ACM panel material.
John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby TCJ » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:47 pm

John's right, Roadtoad does use aluminum composite (AC) panels. A couple of thoughts though (I own one and toured their factory, so this is based on more than guessing):

The aluminum on the AC panels is pretty thin and the core isn't super-strong, so it tends to dent easily. Not a big deal for me, but if you're the kind of person who frets about every blemish on the skin of your trailer you will probably fret a lot. Protection for the front (like this: https://roadtoadcampers.com/images/plate1.jpg will probably be necessary.

The AC panels are very stiff for their thickness--that's one of their appeals. To make the curved roof of the Roadtoad, they had to create a special bending jig to gently shape the curved panel. I'm not sure how easy that would be to do at home. And that's with the 3mm panel; I don't think it's really possible to bend the thicker 10mm panels that form the sides and floor.

Roadtoad joins the AC panels with aluminum extrusions that are glued on with a strong Sikaflex adhesive. The extrusions are bent with a special jig to align them perfectly, and they use screws to hold the extrusions in place while the adhesive sets. Again, I'm not sure how easily this translates to DIY construction.
TCJ
Teardrop Builder

Postby kmack67.km » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:21 pm

kronan wrote:Hey Kevin.
Kevin in Ontario here too.
Just new to this forum.

SNIP

Thanks Kevin, I will check out those options for ACM panels. It sounds like I should buy a small piece and experiment a bit before I commit to anything. Good luck with your tonneau cover. I have thought about making sides for my truck bed with a tonneau cover top, which could be removed to haul tall stuff; sort of a hybrid between a cap and a tonneau cover. I haven't dreamed up a solution for the rear cap door yet though.

Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kmack67.km » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:25 pm

Pmullen503 wrote:There are two things to think about with any kind of composite panel: how are you going to join them and how are you going to seal the edges/corners.

A lot of candidates for alternative materials lose some of their advantages when you start think about these two aspects of using them to build a trailer.

Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't given this much thought yet, but I was hoping to find some suitable H channel and aluminum corner molding to use along with glue to attach the panels. I am also not against a few screws through the sides but would like to avoid that on the roof. All of the above with a healthy dose of caulking of course.

Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kmack67.km » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:32 pm

TCJ wrote:John's right, Roadtoad does use aluminum composite (AC) panels. A couple of thoughts though (I own one and toured their factory, so this is based on more than guessing):

The aluminum on the AC panels is pretty thin and the core isn't super-strong, so it tends to dent easily. Not a big deal for me, but if you're the kind of person who frets about every blemish on the skin of your trailer you will probably fret a lot. Protection for the front (like this: https://roadtoadcampers.com/images/plate1.jpg will probably be necessary.

The AC panels are very stiff for their thickness--that's one of their appeals. To make the curved roof of the Roadtoad, they had to create a special bending jig to gently shape the curved panel. I'm not sure how easy that would be to do at home. And that's with the 3mm panel; I don't think it's really possible to bend the thicker 10mm panels that form the sides and floor.

Roadtoad joins the AC panels with aluminum extrusions that are glued on with a strong Sikaflex adhesive. The extrusions are bent with a special jig to align them perfectly, and they use screws to hold the extrusions in place while the adhesive sets. Again, I'm not sure how easily this translates to DIY construction.

Thank you guys for the info about Roadtoad; I will check those out. I am not too fussed about a few small dings as long as the exterior aluminum doesnt perforate and let water in. I hadn't thought about the difficulty in bending it though; that might end up being a show stopper. The front top corner is the only place in my (very rough draft) design that has a significant curve to it. A special bending jig may be in order there, or I wonder if I could just make that bend using different material or maybe a skylight window :thinking: That would involve two more seams to waterproof and maintain though...

Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kmack67.km » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:38 pm

Ottsville wrote:There was someone here who used ACM for their trailer - can't remember who, but a forum search should turn it up.

Why not just a DIY panel of ply interior/foam/aluminum sheet?

Thanks Ottsville, your DIY panel idea is interesting. I am planning to include some framing to help strengthen the joints so I may not be able to pre-fab the panels, but the end effect would be the same. The choice comes down to ACM or aluminum sheet on the outside. I was hoping that the ACM would be a bit lighter than aluminum sheet of similar strength.

Kevin
kmack67.km
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ottsville » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:31 am

kmack67.km wrote:
Thanks Ottsville, your DIY panel idea is interesting. I am planning to include some framing to help strengthen the joints so I may not be able to pre-fab the panels, but the end effect would be the same. The choice comes down to ACM or aluminum sheet on the outside. I was hoping that the ACM would be a bit lighter than aluminum sheet of similar strength.

Kevin

Take a look through this thread.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/sawtooth-unlimited-off-road-pop-top-camper-trailer.183743/
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:01 pm

Take a look through this thread.

I followed his build. It was certainly labor-intensive.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Skinning secrets