Aluminum and salt

Finishes, paints and coatings

Aluminum and salt

Postby GerryS » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:25 am

I have a camper with raw aluminum sides -- and I can tell you that my winter and even shoulder months of camping is limited because I do not want to etch my beautiful camper.

I am looking at a couple options including wraps (which no one wants to do for me) and plastidip. The "Dip" has been discussed some, but always as a side item. I'm curious if anyone in the forum as actually used DIPYOURCAR type systems to encase their entire camper....or car.

Longevity seems to be the biggest issue --- but my camper spends its life in side a climate controlled garage how does this impact it? Also, I am looking at 'clear' rather than a tint, so fading shouldn't be a problem --- yellowing a nd breakdown maybe. But, if I can get 3-4 years -- 5-7 would be better --- it might be a great option...

Any experience out there?
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Aluminum and salt

Postby Ottsville » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:42 am

I used rattlecan plasti-dip spray on fiberglass pickup-truck cap to color match it to my white pickup. It has worked okay and held up relatively well (6 years now). There is some discoloration, mostly from dirt. You may be concerned about adhesion - it will tear or rub off with a firm rubbing. I did not sand the shell first but did use the primer. Also, you have to put it on pretty thick to prevent small holes from stone damage, etc.

Would waxing and washing at the end of each trip be enough? Airstream forums may have some ideas too.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby GerryS » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:59 am

Thanks for the thoughts --- DipYourCar.com sells a clear, and they say that other than severe cleaning no etching or priming is necessary --- it will just "matt" the finish and of course can be peeled off. Its not cheap, but it cheaper than reskinning ;) They've also added "dip armor" which gives a harder shell as a top coat -- apparently it takes care of a bunch of the shortcomings, some that you mentioned.

It's just pricy. If you got 5years out of a daily driver truck cap, I suspect I'll easily get 4-5 since the teardrop spends its days when not traveling in a climate controlled garage :) And really, at that point, I see it is "it paid for itself"

I have a clear rattle can on order --- should be here tomorrow. Anxiously awaiting....
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:02 am

Ottsville wrote:I used rattlecan plasti-dip spray on fiberglass pickup-truck cap to color match it to my white pickup. It has worked okay and held up relatively well (6 years now). There is some discoloration, mostly from dirt. You may be concerned about adhesion - it will tear or rub off with a firm rubbing. I did not sand the shell first but did use the primer. Also, you have to put it on pretty thick to prevent small holes from stone damage, etc....

I used rattle-can Plastidip (black) on the plastic grille on my '09 HHR Panel, back in the summer of '11, to cover the hum-drum argent silver grille color found on everything Chevrolet, back then. I also used Krylon white plastic paint on the argent silver wheel covers, just for a monochromatic effect. The wheel cover paint lasted just about four years, before I swapped in a second spare set of silver wheelcovers, but the Plastidip grille remains OK (a few damaged spots from stone damage, though, but unnoticeable from 20 feet away).
hhr panel at the ranch.png
picture taken a month after Plasti-dip, Krylon paint 9-17-2011
hhr panel at the ranch.png (314.66 KiB) Viewed 462 times

HHR Panel.jpg
closer view
HHR Panel.jpg (61.8 KiB) Viewed 462 times

I sprayed the grille after cleaning it with a grease-remover (?? brand), then used 1.5 cans over two days to fully coat/dry/coat/dry completely, while the remaining 1/2 can went onto my trailer fenders as a touch-up coat. I've never re-coated the grille, and after 11+ years and 165000 miles since spraying it, I'd use it again without hesitation.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:50 am

Shark Hide ; Has a aluminum protectant I have not used it, Salt water boat's use it, mine was painted :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:56 am

Looks nice...encouraging that I can clear coat it, keep the general look (its already somewhat of a mat finish) and be able to get out in the salt.

I hate when I look outside, see temperatures that are in the acceptable range (30's/40's) but the road crews have put so much salt down for a storm that never happened or is forecast to happen in a few days. Or, it sunny and warm in Florida --- but I have to drive through horrible conditions.

Maddening --- and right about this time of year, I'm looking at my Freezer remembering the wisdom of Jimmy Buffet :)

Famous last words --- what do I have to lose? What could possibly go wrong!

Have you tried removing it --- I've read some reports it gets brittle and hard to remove. When its fresh it peels off like the protective coating on your cell phone -- but after years, I'm seeing goof off, and other solvents being used.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GerryS » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:59 am

twisted lines wrote:Shark Hide ; Has a aluminum protectant I have not used it, Salt water boat's use it, mine was painted :thumbsup:

I looked at it --- and I may even have a quart of it here somewhere. The warnings I got from people who used it, is that it flakes off making blotchy surface and that it is basically impossible to remove...great when its new, but...impossible to remove and difficult to clean up.... :?

The theoretical ease of removal is what appeals to me with dip. I really wish the vinyl car wrap company here was more willing and able....oh well.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:01 pm

good to know :thumbsup:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets