Anyone complete a cedar sided trailer?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: Anyone complete a cedar sided trailer?

Postby tony.latham » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:52 pm

Do you think the fiberglass/epoxy would work well over 5” edge glued cedar board/planks?

Since you're only sealing one side, I'd be concerned that the boards would still move with changes in humidity which would cause delamination.

but the extra labor to make the strips seems daunting.

I built a cedar strip canoe. I "gang-ripped" the strips (two at a time, with two blades, set 1/4" apart with washers) on a cheap table saw. It wasn't that big of a deal. It would have taken twice as long with one blade, but still no biggie.

From time to time here, I see folks that are newbies with little or no woodworking experience come up with experimental ideas that end in a camper that doesn't work out. I suggest using proven methods for your first. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:54 am

Ripping down boards for cedar strips is not hard. Thickness planing the strips makes for less sanding later.

I think you could use you 5" boards if you resaw, plane thin and edge glue on flat surface. Then cover BOTH sides with cloth and epoxy. At that point you'll have a composite panel that you can use like a sheet of plywood.

Tony is right about warping. Wood will expand and contract with changes in humidity unless encapsulated.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby friz » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:27 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Ripping down boards for cedar strips is not hard. Thickness planing the strips makes for less sanding later.

I think you could use you 5" boards if you resaw, plane thin and edge glue on flat surface. Then cover BOTH sides with cloth and epoxy. At that point you'll have a composite panel that you can use like a sheet of plywood.

Tony is right about warping. Wood will expand and contract with changes in humidity unless encapsulated.
The CLC is completely encapsulated in epoxy. The entire exterior and the seams on the inside are glassed. No worries if a little water gets inside and after 5 years and bouncing down numerous rough roads, mine just needs a little refresh of the varnish. Mainly rock chips.Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Wendellnla » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:55 am

tony.latham wrote:
Do you think the fiberglass/epoxy would work well over 5” edge glued cedar board/planks?

Since you're only sealing one side, I'd be concerned that the boards would still move with changes in humidity which would cause delamination.

but the extra labor to make the strips seems daunting.

I built a cedar strip canoe. I "gang-ripped" the strips (two at a time, with two blades, set 1/4" apart with washers) on a cheap table saw. It wasn't that big of a deal. It would have taken twice as long with one blade, but still no biggie.

From time to time here, I see folks that are newbies with little or no woodworking experience come up with experimental ideas that end in a camper that doesn't work out. I suggest using proven methods for your first. :thinking:

Tony

That makes sense. So, bench build the cedar strip exterior and use that assembly to cover the wall framing it?

After reading responses to this post and doing other researched, a canoe build sounds like a good way to get the learning curve out of the way, If I decide to go with a strip plank exterior trailer.

I fully understand that. As I research and progress towards a build, I am leaning more towards a simple, lightweight first build from proven plans that I can basically “cookbook” my way through. I am thinking 4 x 8, which will be small for my ultimate goal of using it for traveling with my wife. A small build will allow me to gain build experience and when done, give me something to use during solo trips.

I have never been afraid of taking on a project that requires new skills, but as I get older, I find “analysis paralysis” can become a problem.

I just need to find a suitable set of plans and “gun it and run it”!

Thanks for the input Tony.

Regards
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:15 am

I am thinking 4 x 8, which will be small for my ultimate goal of using it for traveling with my wife.

Grab a tape measure and pull it out. Look at 22". That will be the room for one of you in a 4'-wide. Building a 5'-wide isn't any more difficult.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:27 am

tony.latham wrote:
I am thinking 4 x 8, which will be small for my ultimate goal of using it for traveling with my wife.

Grab a tape measure and pull it out. Look at 22". That will be the room for one of you in a 4'-wide. Building a 5'-wide isn't any more difficult.

Tony
Also 5 wide is the same as a queen size bed. No custom mattress and sheets.

The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby Wendellnla » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:16 am

Pmullen503 wrote:Ripping down boards for cedar strips is not hard. Thickness planing the strips makes for less sanding later.

I like the idea.

Concerning material, I have about 750 western red cedar fence pickets that I got at decent price by the pallet, to build a fence and build some other things. The fence will take about 300 of them. Even with the 10-15% culls that have limited use, I should have plenty to skin a trailer.

I know some will be rolling their eyes :roll: at this idea, but hey, I like to think outside the box and improvise and scrounge a bit at times. It’s the “frugal cheapskate” in me! Can’t help myself to at least try!

I am assuming I would need to have a flat table large enough to do the assembly and layup.

Would the “cedar plywood” need to be exactly the shape and size of the wall it is covering? Cutouts for door/window?

Would cutting, drilling, nailing or screwing to attach the panel cover compromise the integrity?

Appreciate the input,

Regards
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wendellnla » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:23 am

friz wrote:

The CLC is completely encapsulated in epoxy. The entire exterior and the seams on the inside are glassed. No worries if a little water gets inside and after 5 years and bouncing down numerous rough roads, mine just needs a little refresh of the varnish. Mainly rock chips.Image

I am encouraged by you trailer! That’s a beauty!

Thanks and regards!

I would expect some maintenance since trailers lead such a hard life and many are left outside for most of their existence.
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wendellnla » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:41 am

tony.latham wrote:

Tony

I did, and you make a good point!

My wife is a stable sleeper, I move a lot. So 44” of bed would be tight.

To be honest, she has said camping in a teardrop was not high on her priority list! :lol:
So it will likely be just be me for my local trips.

My thinking is I do a small build for the experience and to have a unit to use until I build something more suitable for my lovely wife. Then sell the smaller one to recoup some of the material costs.

I have some more thinking to do about my future plans.

Thanks and regards!
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wendellnla » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:44 am

friz wrote:
tony.latham wrote:

Tony
Also 5 wide is the same as a queen size bed. No custom mattress and sheets.

Good point. For some reason I was thinking there was a stock bed size that fit a 4 x 8.

Thanks and regards.
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:44 am

I was thinking...

A 5'-wide fits a queen mattress just fine.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets