Filon

Finishes, paints and coatings

Filon

Postby iconicflux » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:52 am

I've been reading some other RV forums recently where there has been talk about Filon being prone to delaminating/separation from humidity and water damage (https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuse ... t/true.cfm) and it has me confused.

Has anyone here seen the kind of issues they're describing with Filon?

What can be done to keep Filon from having the problems they're talking about with humidity/moisture?

Are there other/better options that people have found other than PMF and aluminum?

(I *LOVE* the idea of PMF but I have to make sure my project looks REALLY good to get my wife's approval so I'm leaning towards either Filon, Aluminum, or possibly PMF+Monstaliner.)
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Filon

Postby Ottsville » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:07 am

Perhaps research something a little more recent? That thread is >12 years old.
Improperly made(and repaired) fiberglass products can have issues. Any poorly made product can. Seems to me that thread mostly started off with people talking about how filon can fail and not much about actual experience with it failing. There are other options out there. Check Highanddry's and Stomperxj's threads over on Expedition Portal.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Re: Filon

Postby iconicflux » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:12 am

Thanks! I hadn't even noticed how old the threads were to be honest.

Appreciate the info about Highlanddry and Stomperxj's threads too.

Cheers

Ottsville wrote:Perhaps research something a little more recent? That thread is >12 years old.
Improperly made(and repaired) fiberglass products can have issues. Any poorly made product can. Seems to me that thread mostly started off with people talking about how filon can fail and not much about actual experience with it failing. There are other options out there. Check Highanddry's and Stomperxj's threads over on Expedition Portal.
iconicflux
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Skinning secrets