PMF over Kilz Exterior

Finishes, paints and coatings

PMF over Kilz Exterior

Postby teardropty » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:27 pm

Recently I inherited a partially built tiny camper that a friend had started. He used plywood for the exterior, sealed all the edge with metal drywall edging/PL glue and painted it with Kilz Exterior Oil-based primer. I am not sure what his next step was but I come to the group seeking ideas/opinions for how to finish it. In an ideal world I would cover with aluminum sheeting but frankly that isn't in the budget. I am thinking PMF - poor man's fiberglass to finish it up but will it adhere properly to the Kilz? I have done some PMF on small projects but it always was prepped with a mix of polyurethane and paint thinner (25%) prior to the paint and sheeting/canvasing. Would the Kilz properly seal the wood and allow proper bonding with the canvas? Any other ideas for finishing the exterior? Thanks.
teardropty
Teardrop Builder

Re: PMF over Kilz Exterior

Postby John61CT » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:51 pm

Well "PMF" does not itself specify the adhesive / paint type especially since Glidden Gripper is gone

so really the question is, what are / were your intentions there?

Might be worth just experimenting with different choices, use pull tests after curing.

One should be just using that primer as an adhesive for the canvas, never know might be great, and certainly should stick to itself.

If that works then a compatible outer paint should be easy to identify, a tough "porch paint" or for concrete, decks etc

Make sure very UV resistant
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:23 am

I sampled Kilz on foam and it sort-of worked to attach the PMF. As just primer not seeing an issue except that it's oil based and need to prep accordingly. Some 'bonding' primers are meant to do just and personally I had good luck using a quality bonding primer with the cloth.

I'll refer to others if the TBII system can work over oil or what prep may need to be done.

Could you take a picture of this metal D/W trim that was used please. Curious if it's what I'm thinking it is.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby teardropty » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:35 am

To be clear the Kilz is already painted unto the trailer. It was that way when I got it 2 months ago. I am just wondering if the Kilz is "waterproof" enough to be used in place of the mix of polyurethane before I proceed with the PMF? Foamies don't require a waterproofing "MIX" but from my understanding wood substrate does. Thoughts?
teardropty
Teardrop Builder

Postby RJ Howell » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:13 am

No Kilz is not waterproof, it's a primer. Good one yet I found not all that good for adhering the Foam/PMF. I have no experience bonding cloth to plywood.
With PMF the 'waterproofing' is in the finish coats of paint.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:55 am

Yeah... I don't understand the need for the surface to be waterproof before applying a covering of PMF. If the surface IS waterproof why bother with PMF, and if you are going to entirely cover the thing with PMF anyway why would it matter?
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby teardropty » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:05 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I was thinking Kilz wouldn't be waterproof. I did go ahead and do a test area and TBII held up great to a pull test over the Kilz. The test area where I used an exterior porch paint as the adhesive didn't fair so well. My conclusion is that TBII will work the best over the plywood/kilz. As for RJ comment, yeah, I never used the step of coating with polyurethane and then doing the PMF process. I agree logic is that the whole PMF is the waterproofing. Thanks for the inputs and I will get some pictures posted soon.
teardropty
Teardrop Builder

Postby ulrikesembler » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:28 am

Hope you found the best solutions for finishing your camper's design. Also, with such great work, I recommend using a cover for your camper to keep all the work intact. A camper is a wonderful thing to have. Still, even the best-maintained one will experience wear and tear over time—making it necessary to preserve what you've already done. A cover also comes in handy if you're away and there's a storm coming or if you're in an RV park where it rains regularly. I recently got a new one from a car cover storethat fits perfectly, made from waterproof materials.
ulrikesembler
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets