Primer Recommendations

Finishes, paints and coatings

Primer Recommendations

Postby GarthB » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:18 pm

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for a good primer to use prior to Monstaliner? My shell is epoxy based fiberglass and so far I've sanded everything to 80 grit. I know Monstaliner sells their in-house primer, but I would like to find something locally, from either a big box store or Sherwin Williams rather than waiting on shipping. Many who have used Monstaliner have used Rustoleum Marine primer but, unfortunately, it isn't available locally and currently seems to be hard to find online as well.

Whatever primer I go with, it would be best if it comes in gray.

Thanks for the help!
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Re: Primer Recommendations

Postby jgizzi » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:22 am

We went with Magnapoxy. Expensive I know but the thought that it is best to have a chemical bond between paint and primer won out over cost. My daughter got some comfort from the fact that it was gray :-).
Jim Gizzi
Ferndale, WA
Way up in the upper left corner ;-)
jgizzi
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GarthB » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:40 am

I appreciate the info Jim. I think I saw a couple photos you posted in the Facebook group of it primed not too long ago. It looks good! I'm starting to lean in the same direction the more I read up on it.

Did you roll it on and did it cover up minor imperfections very well? Was the 2 quart kit enough?
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:32 am

I think going with Monstaliner's primer is good advice.

I had a couple of chips along the edges of my front diamond plate and it looks as if the Monstaliner separated from the Rustoleum primer when impacted. I fixed the issue with some trim.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby GarthB » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:48 am

Good to know! I bit the bullet and ordered a gallon of the Magnapoxy. I sure hope to be doing less spending and more camping soon...
GarthB
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:13 am

GarthB wrote:Good to know! I bit the bullet and ordered a gallon of the Magnapoxy. I sure hope to be doing less spending and more camping soon...

No kidding. They don't give their stuff away.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:54 am

GarthB wrote:
Did you roll it on and did it cover up minor imperfections very well? Was the 2 quart kit enough?

Do you Know the SQ' ?
Two coats, I thought covered part of mine a picture easily showed very small spot's with no coverage :frightened:
I was pushing the suggested coverage & knew it;
I recommend getting a touch extra, I had it, Mix it or not was my ?
Wish I had done my tongue box, planed not prepared :oops: Not my second mistake :thinking:
I like the stuff and will doo more!
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jgizzi » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:05 am

Sorry Garth, I missed this. Yes, two quarts is enough, the primer is thinner than the liner. The primer scared the heck out of me as it seemed to highlight all of the minor imperfections. The liner, however, took good care of that ;-). The gray was much better at covering imperfections than the black for some reason, and the black seems to be a harder finish. I also am not sure that I agree with their advice to be sure to roll it on in straight lines. There are places on the drop where I can see the lines and I feel that a bit of radial rolling would have removed them. They are not prominent and no longer bother me but it was noticeable. A larger roller would help but they don't sell one and we wanted to stick with Monsta products.
Jim Gizzi
Ferndale, WA
Way up in the upper left corner ;-)
jgizzi
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets