Fiberglass, epoxy or varnish over plank siding?

Finishes, paints and coatings

Fiberglass, epoxy or varnish over plank siding?

Postby kscmpr54 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:51 pm

My original teardrop plans turned into a standie in the last year. My plan is to side it with reclaimed 1/4" wood planks in a shiplap arrangement. Would this require fiberglass over the wood, plain epoxy or just good spar varnish to seal and protect the wood and camper? Since this isn't a solid piece of plywood, as many woodie's are, I wonder about some movement between the planks as well. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you, Karl
kscmpr54
Teardrop Builder

Re: Fiberglass, epoxy or varnish over plank siding?

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:02 pm

kscmpr54 wrote:My original teardrop plans turned into a standie in the last year. My plan is to side it with reclaimed 1/4" wood planks in a shiplap arrangement. Would this require fiberglass over the wood, plain epoxy or just good spar varnish to seal and protect the wood and camper? Since this isn't a solid piece of plywood, as many woodie's are, I wonder about some movement between the planks as well. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you, Karl

I don't know how you would fiberglass a shiplap surface––unless you do it in strips--which would be a bear, I think.

The wood will move. That's a given. If it were me, I would probably seal it with epoxy (with a thin-set resin) and then clear coat it with spar varnish to protect the epoxy. But keep in mind, you will have to re-coat the spar varnish periodically (which means sanding) and that may not be a lot of fun on a shiplap surface.

Something to consider. :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:23 pm

You could finish it with Penofin penetrating oil finish, external formula.
It's Brazilian Rosewood Oil for furniture, Railings, decks, boats and docks.
We used it on a Tigerwood deck that I pressure washed and it made it look like furniture.
Easy to reapply when your overlapping joints move.
It comes in transparent natural, Ipe and Tigerwood.
http://www.penofin.com
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:03 am

If I should know, I apologize, but what's under the planks? If relatively water protected - even house wrap under - I like the penofin - but for myself I'd probably just apply spar varnish, preferring Epifanes.

I am curious how you shiplap 1/4" boards - would seem to be milling edges to 1/8".
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:47 am

super super heavy
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kscmpr54 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:39 pm

John61CT wrote:super super heavy

Yes, the weight has been on my mind as well. Still pondering that. Thanks for your input.
kscmpr54
Teardrop Builder

Postby kscmpr54 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:48 pm

QueticoBill wrote:If I should know, I apologize, but what's under the planks? If relatively water protected - even house wrap under - I like the penofin - but for myself I'd probably just apply spar varnish, preferring Epifanes.

I am curious how you shiplap 1/4" boards - would seem to be milling edges to 1/8".

My original intention was to put the boards directly on the studs of the frame. But started thinking about the flexing of the trailer, leading to the wood moving to some extent. I'm wondering about using an underlayment beneath the shiplap. Although the wood siding sounded like a nice idea, it may not be a practical option. But also want to explore it and see. Thanks for your input and the suggestion for the wood treatment.
kscmpr54
Teardrop Builder

Postby kscmpr54 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:54 pm

halfdome, Danny wrote:You could finish it with Penofin penetrating oil finish, external formula.
It's Brazilian Rosewood Oil for furniture, Railings, decks, boats and docks.
We used it on a Tigerwood deck that I pressure washed and it made it look like furniture.
Easy to reapply when your overlapping joints move.
It comes in transparent natural, Ipe and Tigerwood.
http://www.penofin.com

Thank you for your input Danny. I looked up the penofin website and it does make the wood beautiful. I'm still thinking all this through and this sounds like a good alternative.
kscmpr54
Teardrop Builder

Postby kscmpr54 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:00 pm

tony.latham wrote:
kscmpr54 wrote:My original teardrop plans turned into a standie in the last year. My plan is to side it with reclaimed 1/4" wood planks in a shiplap arrangement. Would this require fiberglass over the wood, plain epoxy or just good spar varnish to seal and protect the wood and camper? Since this isn't a solid piece of plywood, as many woodie's are, I wonder about some movement between the planks as well. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you, Karl

I don't know how you would fiberglass a shiplap surface––unless you do it in strips--which would be a bear, I think.

The wood will move. That's a given. If it were me, I would probably seal it with epoxy (with a thin-set resin) and then clear coat it with spar varnish to protect the epoxy. But keep in mind, you will have to re-coat the spar varnish periodically (which means sanding) and that may not be a lot of fun on a shiplap surface.

Something to consider. :thinking:

Tony

Thank you Tony. I've gained a lot of knowledge from your book and posts here on TnTTT. Appreciate your input and as mentioned in my other responses, may have to change course a bit.
kscmpr54
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:07 pm

You could finish it with Penofin penetrating oil finish...

I don't have experience with it, but when Danny talks wood, I listen. He is certainly a master craftsman.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:05 pm

Thanks for the kudos Tony.
I was 7 years old when I decided I wanted to work with wood/Cabinetmaker.
I watched them build a high school very close to our house and it made a lasting impression.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Skinning secrets