Order of Operations (for caulking and waterproofing)

Finishes, paints and coatings

Order of Operations (for caulking and waterproofing)

Postby Felix_Esq » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:22 pm

I plan to re-use aluminum skin that came with my formerly run-down teardrop when I make the finished product. I have been searching around the entire site for an order of operations for dealing with things, but there are a ton of conflicting opinions from what I can see. I have two questions.

(1) Do people use "the mix" on the wooden "under-skin" that is immediately under the aluminum, even if the wood does not show? Is there a simpler method of sealing the wood than three or five coats of thinned poly to get this job done, considering that we are not really shooting for aesthetics on this layer?
(2) I understand I need to caulk all the seams between the wood under-skin. Do I go sealer ---> caulk or caulk ---> sealer? I ask because I caulked a bunch of seams in the galley, the caulking claimed to be "paintable" and then all the paint peeled off the exposed caulking.
(3) I see a lot of people saying to glue or bond the aluminum skin to the wood under-skin. What kind of glue do you folks find takes the punishment of the outdoors best?

-Felix
I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that. -Lloyd Daubler

Build Gallery
Build Journal
Felix_Esq
Donating Member

Re: Order of Operations (for caulking and waterproofing)

Postby twisted lines » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:15 pm

I had good luck going the mix coat's scuff, MEK, Hope your close to the boarder :?
Then Polycaulk, scuff, MEK cleaning, :?
Then clearcoat's within time's directed ;
Repeat. The caulk I used likes the sticky poly mek leaves so far, work's very well with foam 2.
Short Timer; But worn out from testing others :lol:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets