Seaming aluminum on the roof

Finishes, paints and coatings

Seaming aluminum on the roof

Postby boulderv7 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:02 pm

For my aluminum, I was restricted to 4 x 8 sheets (for the color we wanted), so I have to have some seams on my roof. I am planning on lapping my seams and I am wondering if I have to lap my seams where a spar is located, or will the two layers of .040 aluminum and 1/8" bb give the trim screws enough tooth to hold? I'm leaning towards where a spar is located, but it would be more efficient use of material and less cutting if I do not have to.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
boulderv7
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Seaming aluminum on the roof

Postby dmdc411 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:13 pm

I would look for structure. No screw will hold in1/8" skin alone. Not trying to be negative, but that's where the detailed planning comes in. Both my roof skin seams fall on a doubled up 1x2.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Re: Seaming aluminum on the roof

Postby boulderv7 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:16 pm

Yeah that's what I thought and what I planned for, I was thinking maybe I could get away with a couple of less cuts. The thought occured when I watched a video from etrailer about installing a vent on the side of a trailer. They screwed to just the sheet metal....no blocking behind it. And then I thought, well 2 sheets of aluminum have some holding power, and so does the epoxied BB, and maybe that would be enough to hold, but better safe than sorry. I'll stick with my original plan.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
boulderv7
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Skinning secrets