FRP instead of Plywood for Outer Skin and Hatch

Finishes, paints and coatings

Re: FRP instead of Plywood for Outer Skin and Hatch

Postby Hooch » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:53 am

Hello Dan. I realize I'm about a month after your question, but here is what i have determined.I'm getting ready to plunge into a truck camper build and maybe a TD. I too thought FRP panels,also painted was my way to go.Now,I'm not saying they aren't,but with all my little pre-test panel projects, I believe FRP panels are WAY to flexible when glued to only framing.I think they definitely need to be glued to a plywood.But what i did find, is 4'x8'x1/8" sheets of ply,luan? It's available at the big orange hardware/lumber/everything in between store. It's called utility panel and is actually a little thinner than .125".It's also less than $16 a sheet. Another plus with these panels is it's half the weight of 1/4"(5mm)4x8 luan. It bends real nice and shows good strength when glued to 1x framing. I'll be covering my project with PMF, using cotton duck canvas that is found at the big Hobby store just past the Lobby. ($9.99 yard but often on sale for 50% off. I'm real happy with my test panels using this compared to the very rough painter drop cloths.
Hooch
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wrecit » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:09 pm

Did not see it mentioned but with FRP heat is your friend. Have put a 6 inch curve right angle in a sheet at my real job in the past. If you try to bend to tight a curve without a heat gun or torch you will shatter it
You hide your conversion and call it stealth. I put mine out in the open and give it a beer.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74635
Wrecit
Teardrop Master

Postby Dan P » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:23 pm

Hooch wrote:Hello Dan. I realize I'm about a month after your question, but here is what i have determined.I'm getting ready to plunge into a truck camper build and maybe a TD. I too thought FRP panels,also painted was my way to go.Now,I'm not saying they aren't,but with all my little pre-test panel projects, I believe FRP panels are WAY to flexible when glued to only framing.I think they definitely need to be glued to a plywood.But what i did find, is 4'x8'x1/8" sheets of ply,luan? It's available at the big orange hardware/lumber/everything in between store. It's called utility panel and is actually a little thinner than .125".It's also less than $16 a sheet. Another plus with these panels is it's half the weight of 1/4"(5mm)4x8 luan. It bends real nice and shows good strength when glued to 1x framing. I'll be covering my project with PMF, using cotton duck canvas that is found at the big Hobby store just past the Lobby. ($9.99 yard but often on sale for 50% off. I'm real happy with my test panels using this compared to the very rough painter drop cloths.

Hey Hooch, You must have read my mind. I actually abandoned the FRP on stick frame idea and skinned it in the utility panel you mentioned. It did bend nicely and was easy to work with. I have the entire TD skinned now and will be doing the PMF this weekend. There is a nice lady on youtube that has a great tutorial on PMF. I'll be using her technique.
Dan
Dan P
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MonteQuest » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:23 pm

I am using 1/16" FRP for the first skin instead of plywood. 4 x 8 sheets are available at Lowe's, Dome Depot, and Menards. Same as used for bathroom walls. About $38.00. 19 lbs/sheet. It easily follows the tight curves. My top skin will be Filon using contact cement. See my teardrop in the build journal. Monte's Ramblin' Rose.
Monte
MonteQuest
Teardrop Builder

Postby MonteQuest » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:31 pm

FRP used for interior ceiling. 172808172809
Monte
MonteQuest
Teardrop Builder

Postby MonteQuest » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:06 pm

Here's FRP attached as an outer skin base layer. Filon will be contact-cemented to this.
Monte
MonteQuest
Teardrop Builder

Postby MonteQuest » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:39 pm

FRP on my hatch. Hatch weighs 20lbs. Final skin will be 1/64" Filon. 172877172878
Monte
MonteQuest
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Skinning secrets