Paint over TBIII

Finishes, paints and coatings

Paint over TBIII

Postby BMG2019 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:36 pm

Hi, just built my first square drop, was thinking of sealing the outside in TBIII and painting over that. Has anyone done this for their trailer? Does anyone know if this would be a good coating? If not, why? thanks for any input on this.
BMG2019
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Paint over TBIII

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:07 am

If you are not going to cover the wood, I would use a good quality oil based primer on the bare wood.

Or do the "mix" which is several coats of thinned oil based polyurethane. Start with 75% thinner and work up to unthinned polyurethane.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Paint over TBIII

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:54 pm

Not a teardrop but I have 3 small bridges that were built to span a small dry stream (dry in summer). I coated those with 2 coats of TBII, all sides and then put a layer of grey house paint over that. Again, all sides. One has been outside in use for 5 years and is still doing pretty good. The other two were new last fall and are painted cedar but have weathered the more-than-normal amount of rain well. So good so far. Would I do that with a teardrop? Maybe not. However, last spring, I filled a stress/age crack with TBII and then followed up with marine paint on my trailer and that's holding okay but it was not in a place where I was worried about leaks as it was on an exterior board.

PS. I forgot to mention that I watered down the TBII slightly so that it would be easier to paint on. Adding just a little water to the mix seems to help the TB sink into the wood better. When I was using it as a glue, I always ran a damp sponge over the wood before applying the glue.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Return to Skinning secrets