Primer and paint over fiberglass

Finishes, paints and coatings

Primer and paint over fiberglass

Postby Ted+Teresa » Mon May 01, 2023 1:28 pm

Teresa here! We're finishing up the fiberglassing of our build after a steep learning curve and a few bumps. We used the Raka 900 Medium Resin and Non-Blushing hardener over 4oz and 6oz fiberglass cloth. We're looking ahead to paint and am hoping to learn from your experiences here. Ted is a fan of Sherwin Williams and had hoped to use their primer and paint, but we're not sure now that they really have anything suitable. (He found something called Aerospace Coatings Epoxy Fill Primer on their website.)

I've been searching this forum and the Facebook Teardrop Trailer Build group for recommendations. So far, most recommendations have been for some brand of marine paint (Rust-Oleum, Brightside, and Norglass [which I don't think we have here in the U.S.]) and the Rust-Oleum farm & implement paint. I think someone on this board also recommended TotalBoat Wet Edge from Jamestown Distributors in answer to another poster. If you're happy with the outcome and longevity of the primer and paint you used, please chime in and offer any other helpful tips!

Another related question I have is whether it's better to use a primer and paint made by the same manufacturer. Ted is thinking of using a Sherwin Williams primer of some sort with a marine paint of another brand. Someone in the Facebook group recommended sticking to the same manufacturer. Any experienced advice on that question?

We're hoping to start this process sometime next week, assuming we can get the supplies in time.

I tried to attach a photo, but I keep getting a "file too big" message. I was able to add a photo to our Gallery.
Ted+Teresa
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Primer and paint over fiberglass

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon May 01, 2023 3:02 pm

The safest route is to use one company's recommended products. Marine paints designed to be applied over fiberglass are probably best (and most expensive.) There are several good choices that are meant to be applied with a brush. The next are automotive paints and primers but those are meant to be sprayed.

I would not use a latex primer over fiberglass and most especially under an oil based finish. Latex over oil primer will work OK. Just make sure the primer is fully cured. If you can still smell the solvent, it's not ready to top coat with latex paint.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Mon May 01, 2023 3:22 pm

Several high end bonding primers out there. I'm a Sherwin Williams fan others prefer different. I'm heading this direction myself and am thinking going with tractor paint. Implement paint to me, but better known as.. I will also check my Tractor Supply Store for primer to go along with the I/P paint. I'll be going over a FG panel, so cured months ago and will have to sand and probably acetone wash. I don't believe you'd need to go as far (acetone that is), yet a quality (which I will use) bonding primer seems the direction.

Implement paint has been around for years and in my mind most vehicle undercoating (mine as well) are done with it. Brush/roller or spray (with splatter gun or thinned down).

My testing will happen in a couple weeks, so probably to late for you folks..
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby RJ Howell » Wed May 03, 2023 1:16 pm

I just setup my first test on the implement paint on my FG panels. I'm quickly approaching completion of the frame of exoskeleton of the camper and need to get on finishing the sampling/tests of the cladding.

I'll post the results if so interested. It applied nicely in both samplings.
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Wed May 03, 2023 1:42 pm

My first I used Monstaliner, Rolled it Then sprayed it.
Plan to spray it again on, One more line.
They have some crazy colors.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Skinning secrets