Should we trade our Taco for a Tundra?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Should we trade our Taco for a Tundra?

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:03 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
tony.latham wrote:
I'd be tempted to use wood, especially to try it out.

In the meantime, my 3D printer is whirling away.

:frightened:

Tony

p.s. I find that thing extra handy.

Good idea! :thumbsup:

Let us know whether or not you think its an improvement.

Tom
My first impression is that I like it. A two hour drive will tell the truth.

Thanks for the tip.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:16 pm

twisted lines wrote:Your's is gold :thinking:

Nice 2018 here to be had for only 43K :beer:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:17 pm

tony.latham wrote:My first impression is that I like it. A two hour drive will tell the truth.

Thanks for the tip.

Tony

:thumbsup:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:03 am

just saw pictures of the 'total' re-design of the 2024 Tacoma on the internet the other day.........looks alot like the new '22 Tundra re-design. wasn't written much about it = just pictures....
gudmund
500 Club

Postby davidreidok » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:10 pm

Buy what you like.

Sounds like you want a Jeep or a Tundra and not Tacomas.

Go for it and be happy.
davidreidok
Teardrop Builder

Postby RJ Howell » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:30 pm

I towed cross country with a 4K rig (loaded) and did will! That's Nor'east to west coast, then Sou'west, then across Canada. Ya, a bit slower up the hills (keeping rpms normal) but mileage per gallon up. I would not discount the Taco for ability!

With that said, I now have built a camper on my F150 and about to build 2.0 on a F250. I like the space a full size alots! Comes down to space and driving habits (and time allotted for).

I met a couple outside Zion with a TD as I had the Rpod (over twice the weight). Their Taco was a step above ours yet they complained about gas mileage. I was getting an average of 18mpg and they were at 10-12mpg. We actually met up at our next destination, Bryce, and again talked about MPG over another beer. It was their driving habit! Too fast and pushing rpm's up the hills.

Don't discount that Taco for power or MPG!
RJ Howell
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:46 pm

I gave up and got a station wagon;
for the dog :lol:
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:58 pm

4,400 mile road trip in the van and I'm ready for more. Just throw your teardrop in the back and hit the road. :lol:
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:35 pm

That E van may pull one :thumbsup:
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:49 am

The reviews I'm seeing on the transit forum for E van range aren't very impressive. 100 miles empty is what most guys seem to be getting... :?
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:12 pm

So, after a year and a half of considerations, and reconsiderations, we decided to trade in our 2018 Taco for a 2020 Tundra

171776 171775 171774

The main reason is that we expect to be much more comfortable for long drives. Problem with the Taco is that you sit in it like a car. The Tundra has you sitting up with your feet down, like a Jeep (which I'd rather drive, except it won't tow our teardrop). We actually traded in the Taco, with 65K miles on it, for the same price we paid for it five years ago. The Tundra only has 23K miles on it, but we plan to fix that! Hope that the extra two years and low mileage buys us that much more time with this truck. Might be the last one we'll ever need.

With gas prices not quite as bad as last year, we hope that won't be too much of a problem. When we went to upstate NY and back to New Mexico, we had such a big load, we were only getting about 13 miles/gallon anyway. We're hoping with the bigger engine we might even do better than that.

The pictures from Carmax showed running boards. Not sure why they took them off, but they claim to be ordering some to put on for us. Carmax has really gone down hill! Their Service Department sucks!

We also need a Camper Shell.

Oh, the Taco navigation system was terrible. Couldn't compute the best route if you gave it two points on a reasonable state route. Now, they want to charge us a monthly fee for the privilege. Of course, where we drive, there sometimes is no cell phone service, so Google Maps won't work there. Guess we're back to Garmin.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby working on it » Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:02 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:...

Oh, the Taco navigation system was terrible. Couldn't compute the best route if you gave it two points on a reasonable state route. Now, they want to charge us a monthly fee for the privilege. Of course, where we drive, there sometimes is no cell phone service, so Google Maps won't work there. Guess we're back to Garmin....

* I've been using Google Maps offline on my Android tablet for several years. I download maps of the areas I'm going into, save them, and then they're ready when I need them. Of course, there's no current traffic or hazard info, and the whole thing relies on the GPS on the tablet, but it's turned out to be more accurate,than Waze was on my friend Brad's Subaru factory nav system, which kept directing us into a river (w/o a crossing). But in that instance, the maps were on my phone (which was getting zero bars reception, so it relied on saved maps).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:09 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:Oh, the Taco navigation system was terrible. Couldn't compute the best route if you gave it two points on a reasonable state route. Now, they want to charge us a monthly fee for the privilege. Of course, where we drive, there sometimes is no cell phone service, so Google Maps won't work there. Guess we're back to Garmin.

The touch screen system in our 2015 Tacoma is awful; its not intuitive at all and too many settings are buried 5 button presses deep in menus. On top of that it broke and it's stuck in an endless boot loop. My phone and a Bluetooth speaker does everything better than the Toyota unit ever did except for the voice, I dig the Toyota chick's voice :lol: . We've got a Garmin in the van as I like the interface better than Google Maps.
Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:07 am

Enjoy that tundra :thumbsup:
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:15 pm

bdosborn wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:Oh, the Taco navigation system was terrible. Couldn't compute the best route if you gave it two points on a reasonable state route. Now, they want to charge us a monthly fee for the privilege. Of course, where we drive, there sometimes is no cell phone service, so Google Maps won't work there. Guess we're back to Garmin.

I dig the Toyota chick's voice :lol: .

I used to date before the interwebs. From phone conversations before a blind date: The voice never matches the face! :frightened:

We just compared the Garmin and Google offline to paper maps on a trip to Monument Valley. Both are OK but put us rougher roads than necessary.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

PreviousNext

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles