Subaru Solterra EV

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Subaru Solterra EV

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:00 am

I'll probably regret this but I don't find melting ice caps, rising oceans, and more arid areas to be convenient, nor will my children and theirs.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:27 am

Do you have some sort of cable that let's you charge your cell phone from that, Tony?

I just couldn't pass by that Tesla station that day without pulling that stunt. It was like a fly in front of a frog.

If Toyota made an electric Tacoma with the same capabilities as the one I've got --at about the same price point-- I get one in a heartbeat.

Six-bits says Ford's Lightning will sell like hotcakes. I live in truck country. 90% of them seldom go fifty miles from town. They say it costs about $12 to fully charge a Tesla at home. THAT and the simplicity of EV's is alluring.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:07 am

The Chevy 'Volt" was based on the technology of what is used in trains. (Diesel/Electric Locomotive trains = diesel for the fuel for running the generator that produces the electricity for the motor for pulling the loads) The gas engine under the hood of the 'Chev Volt' is used as the generator. On start-up - after an over-nite re-charge, you were good for = something like 30-50 miles of travel on electricity and after that, the gas engine was re-charging the battery 'over&over' again for motivation. It was thought that if you were only doing local 'run around' driving - you were good for the 30-50 miles without having to buy gas but were still good to go after that being the generator would re-charge and you could just keep going if need be - which you cannot do with an 'all-electric' car, being when you run out of juice = that's it...you're parked...... But, In the last 10+ years since the Volt came out, there have been alot of battery improvements made since and the one's being built today are able to travel alot further now on a single charge (as can be seen with the Tesla's - Bolt's, etc. = over 200+ miles on a charge++) The problem now seems to be with the 'future' and the much "needed" improvements that will have to be made in the nation's electrical wire 'grid' for re-charging all of these future 'all-eclectic' cars that will be needed to replace the existing gas ones of today :? :thinking: :NC :NC
Last edited by gudmund on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:18 am

tony.latham wrote:They say it costs about $12 to fully charge a Tesla at home. THAT and the simplicity of EV's is alluring.

Tony

Hmm, so 100 miles between charges at 30 miles/gallon (for a "Tesla like" gasoline powered car, not a truck) comes to 3.3 gallons, at say $3/gallon comes to about $10. So the operating cost is right in the same ballpark. :thinking:

Environmentally, if the electricity used the charge the vehicle comes from solar or wind power, or (gasp) nuclear, then it's probably a net win. If it comes from a coal fired plant, maybe not so much...

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:28 am

gudmund wrote:In the last 10+ years since the Volt came out, there have been alot of battery improvements since and the one's being built today are able to travel alot further now on a single charge (as can be seen with the Tesla's - Bolt's = over 200+ miles on a charge++', etc)

Oh, okay, so maybe I need to amend my last post: if it costs $12 to recharge after 200 miles, then a Tesla does about twice as well in terms of operating costs than a similar gasoline powered car.

gudmund wrote:The problem now seems to be with the 'future' and the much "needed" improvements that will have to be made in the nation's electrical wire 'gride' for re-charging all of these future 'all-eclectic' cars that will be needed to replace the existing gas ones of today :? :thinking: :NC :NC

As an engineer and sometime scientist, I'm fascinated by the technical challenges. Things will continue to get better as the younger folks solve these challenges! And please don't get me wrong, I'm all for environmentally sound infrastructure. But if a solution, perhaps regulated and subsidized, isn't economically sound, it won't have long term appeal.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:10 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
tony.latham wrote:They say it costs about $12 to fully charge a Tesla at home. THAT and the simplicity of EV's is alluring.

Tony

Hmm, so 100 miles between charges at 30 miles/gallon (for a "Tesla like" gasoline powered car, not a truck) comes to 3.3 gallons, at say $3/gallon comes to about $10. So the operating cost is right in the same ballpark. :thinking:

Environmentally, if the electricity used the charge the vehicle comes from solar or wind power, or (gasp) nuclear, then it's probably a net win. If it comes from a coal fired plant, maybe not so much...

Tom
If you aren't towing, and you go around the speed limit you can get 250ish miles between charges on a Tesla, and the offer a long range version that does over 400
https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/how-l ... l%20charge.

Cost per mile is about 4 cents
https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/how-m ... r%20panels.

My Jeep isn't the most fuel efficient car around, my last tank cost $80, and it gets me about 320 miles, so 4 miles per dollar or $0.25 per mile
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:23 pm

Socal Tom wrote:
Tom&Shelly wrote:

Tony

Tom
If you aren't towing, and you go around the speed limit you can get 250ish miles between charges on a Tesla, and the offer a long range version that does over 400
https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/how-l ... l%20charge.

Cost per mile is about 4 cents
https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/how-m ... r%20panels.

My Jeep isn't the most fuel efficient car around, my last tank cost $80, and it gets me about 320 miles, so 4 miles per dollar or $0.25 per mile

That sounds about right. There is a cost to dragging around a 4 wd transmission even when you (or I, who also drive a Jeep) don't need it! Of course, you're paying San Diego gas prices, maybe $4/gallon? Wonder if California gas tax is subsidizing the electric vehicle infrastructure? Here it's currently about $3/gallon.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:10 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:

That sounds about right. There is a cost to dragging around a 4 wd transmission even when you (or I, who also drive a Jeep) don't need it! Of course, you're paying San Diego gas prices, maybe $4/gallon? Wonder if California gas tax is subsidizing the electric vehicle infrastructure? Here it's currently about $3/gallon.

Tom

Our gas tax is higher than in most other states ( but that comes with more cars and roads that other states). And our fuel has a low smog blend that the gas companies say costs more. The state offers tax incentives for buying electric vehicles, I'm not sure if there is an subsidy on infrastructure or not. Longer term, I would not be surprised if we don't see subsidies for infrastructure in more remote places. I think you avoid road taxes at the moment with an electric vehicle, but they will eventually need to modify that tax, or there won't be money to maintain the roads.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:12 pm

In addition to lower fuel costs its the much lower maintenance that I find appealing, and fewer things to break down.

The RAV4 Prime is an attractive intermediate. 600 mile range (tank +battery) 2500 tow capacity, 38 mpg (90 by calculating normal around town mix), and great acceleration compared to gas only: 0 to 60 in 5.5 sec.

With some countries and California banning gas car sales in 2030 (Norway 2025!) I'm optimistic that the technology will overcome most shortcomings (and not lose the acceleration!)
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:12 pm

Perhaps camping trailer companies could come out with something like this?
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1118496_german-rv-maker-builds-electric-camping-trailer
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Postby TimC » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:24 pm

Thought I would resurrect this year old thread and throw out an idea I have.

I just picked up a '21 Hyundai Kona EV with 130 miles on it.

I've installed a 1 1/4" receiver hitch (class one Curt) with a tongue weight of max 200 lb. I'm dreaming up a way to build a very light weight, minimalist TD that won't cut my range down too far. I've been getting 250+ miles at highway speeds (4.3 miles per kW). After reading about the new F150 in an insidesevs.com article they calculated the F150 with a .7 miles per kW. That's half what the non-towing range was before their test. They describe towing an "about 6K lb" RV. Unfortunately their test is hardly apples to apples comparison with my Kona hauling a sub 700 lb TD.

So I'm dreaming of a TD with a low rolling weight and very low profile. I say dreaming because if my wife sees another TD taking up garage space she may seek a lawyer's expertise :FNP

The article and a video... https://insideevs.com/news/594871/ford-f150-lightning-vs-gas-truck-towing-range-single-charge/
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby friz » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:30 pm

TimC wrote:Thought I would resurrect this year old thread and throw out an idea I have.

I've installed a 1 1/4" receiver hitch (class one Curt) with a tongue weight of max 200 lb. I'm dreaming up a way to build a very light weight, minimalist TD that won't cut my range down too far. I've been getting 250+ miles at highway speeds (4.3 miles per kW). After reading about the new F150 in an insidesevs.com article they calculated the F150 with a .7 miles per kW. That's half what the non-towing range was before their test. They describe towing an "about 6K lb" RV. Unfortunately their test is hardly apples to apples comparison with my Kona hauling a sub 700 lb TD.

So I'm dreaming of a TD with a low rolling weight and very low profile. I say dreaming because if my wife sees another TD taking up garage space she may seek a lawyer's expertise :FNP

The article and a video... https://insideevs.com/news/594871/ford-f150-lightning-vs-gas-truck-towing-range-single-charge/
The CLC seems to be a pretty good option for a low drag TD. I still get pretty good milage towing with my Focus.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:35 am

Rereading this year old thread in light of gas price doubling and ever improving ev range and battery technology is interesting. I think it will be a lot less than 20 years before gas hits $10 per gallon, ev ranges double, and recharging times are halved.

Thanks Tim for reports of your next project. Aluminum frame and foam cabin?
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Madvalley » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:38 pm

TimC wrote:Thought I would resurrect this year old thread and throw out an idea I have.

I'm on the same path but without (yet) the EV part of the equation. My current vehicle - 2015 CR-V - has a limited towing capacity at 1,500# and 150# tongue weight so whatever I build for it would work for my (eventual) EV. The Kona isn't rated for towing that I was able to find so you're gonna be on your own to figure it out. My plan is to build a 5x8 ?-drop (my platform is a Karavan utility trailer) at the height of the rack on my CR-V. I've planned out what I want to have on the camper and the dry weight I'd end up with now I'm trying to figure out if I can balance it safely. I ended up at about 1,100# dry (I have a *lot* of comfort items planned in...) so loaded would still come in under 1,500. Going with your minimalist concept I think it would weigh in at about 700#. I wouldn't worry about the "very low profile" part too much as the area behind even a slippery vehicle like the Kona is pretty turbulent. As long as you keep in within the height and width of the Kona I think the trailer would just be drafting the TV. My build is going to be a 1" foam core with wood planed to the same thickness for panel and accessory attachment, then the whole thing glassed in as a single unit. I'll look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Madvalley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TimC » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:26 pm

I'm in the process of searching for some low profile, maybe folding, teardrop examples that I can adapt with foam construction. I've read that Hyundai will rate the 2023 at 2800lbs. Seems kind of high unless you have electric brakes. I'll shoot for under 800lbs.

I don't have to worry about voiding a warranty since I don't have a Mfr warranty. Long story. Let's just say the car I bought, though new with 130 mile when I purchased it, is a "Salvage - Rebuilt" brand on the title (Wisconsin DMV designation). I snapped it up because I got it for 40% below sticker and that doesn't count a $7500 EV credit on my income taxes which will bring it to 57% off sticker. I'd never buy one of these things at sticker in my lifetime but when I saw this one I did my due diligence and jumped on it. The dealer, a rebuilder, had it for sale for a month with no takers. So far I am happy with it. 250 mile range at highway speeds. Overnight charging with a 16amp Level 2 charge cord. Over 300 mile range around town taking it easy. My due diligence included an aftermarket warranty I'll keep paying for for about six months and my insurance company was OK with full coverage on it.

Besides, in "Sport Mode" it is a blast to drive!
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles