Weight distribution

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Weight distribution

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:29 pm

Mainmane wrote:Well I found the issue and it turns out it was a byproduct of my being an idiot, haha. My trailer is a utility trailer with a railing. Because so many people build on flat trailers without railing, I figured what could be the harm in just chopping a section of railing out on each side to allow for the doors to open. It turns out that trailers with railings utilize said railings as a major structural part of the trailer to prevent twisting/flexing in lieu of dedicated cross braces underneath. Spent the day over at a buddies house welding in some straight and angled bracing to replace the sections that I cut out and, lo and behold, it feels like a trailer now. No more wet noodle bungee cord tugging at all. Lesson learned, trailers (and most purpose built things in general) are built a specific way for specific purposes. Thanks again for all of y’all’s help and as soon as I learn to post pictures I’ll make something of a build journal to share.

Thanks for letting us know. I don't think many (if any) of us would have guessed that one! :o (GTS225 came the closest when he told you to take a look at the structure underneath and may have been the most helpful to you.) :thumbsup:

I find that an easy way to shrink photos down to size is to upload them to a Facebook account and then download them back to your PC before sending them here. (There may be a way to upload to here directly from Facebook but I don't know it.) Some people use Microsoft Paint to shrink photos down or use Tapatalk to upload from their cell phones. There are probably other ways, too. We look forward to seeing what you build!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GTS225 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:04 am

Let that be a warning to all future builders. Those low-cost trailers do not have very robust frames, and those side rails are actually a structural member.
I, too might have missed that, not knowing the trailer's history.

Good catch!

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:54 am

Well I found the issue...

How many side bolts are there that attach the cabin to the frame? Two per side? Or several?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby inthemoment » Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:15 pm

inthemoment
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles