Ultragauge, Scangauge

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Ultragauge, Scangauge

Postby gudmund » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 pm

NOTE: (not familiar with the "Ultragauge") with the Scangauge system being spoken about here - it is made for ALL 1996 and newer vehicles, being everything form 96 on has the same OBITS 2 system - don't know if they ever made anything for the older OBITS 1 system used prior to 96 :thinking: (the OBITS 2 system is used on ALL vehicles made from 96 on being the government mandated back than that ALL vehicles had to be "compatible" for the testing equipment being made for testing which is why the one 'Scangauge' being made fits all)
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:09 pm

what si OBITS??? Its OBDII which existed on GM vehicles prior to 1996.

I've been working on vehicles for long enough to k ow that scanguage and such is nothing more than a giant headache. Circumventing the reason why dash gauges are buffers because people have NO IDEA actual safe and proper operating temps vs when there is actually a problem. Biggest reason is that people use specs from 80s and 90s vehicles and freak out when a modern vehicle isnt within the same numbers.

Like people loosing their minds when an engine reach 210F on the computer before fans kick on. Or going crazy over converter and trans running warmer when towing.

Factory gauges do the job perfectly. Once they start to rise out of normal range then SOMETHING IS WRONG but far from going to break anything. Definately not too late.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:38 pm

OK - it's 'OBD' and it has always been' phonically' pronounced OBiT's? or maybe OBiD's? so yes I spelled it wrong!! -I stand corrected!! But I am standing by the info I gave about 1996 being I also know the history of when it happened, whether it was GM or not? couldn't care less, the fact remains, today it is what it is. OBD-2 has been in use since 1996 like I said, and ALL vehicles, no matter the brand were mandated at the time to use a standard design from 1996 onward. And my point is that the Scanguage only fits vehicles built from 1996 onward as stated on the Scangauge package sitting here in 'front of me' and if you think I am wrong - stop by the auto parts store where they are sold and read the front of their package!! (now they may also have a version for the earlier models, but that is info you will have to contact them for) I stand 'correct ed'............ take care PS there is NOT a vehicle today being made that uses a 'old school' version of a gauge in it's dash today - they are just indicators reading information being given out from the " 'OBD' " based computer which is the same information that the Scangauge is giving out being that is where it gets it's info from also - it's just that with the Scangauge, it is being giving out 'digitally' on a small central viewing screen that you can pick & choose from the 17/18 'info' items and what you want to see at any given time - 4 separate items at a time can be seen on the screen you mount where you want it. later..............
Last edited by gudmund on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Tigris99 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Scanguage package says that because they don't want people freaking out or getting pissed because they think it works on older when it only works on very specific older GM built cars.

Not trying to create an arguement, just trying to clear some things up because In my decades of being a tech I had never heard of the way you say it. It's always been said O B D 2. That's how manufacturers and so on say it which qhat you said becomes confusing. And that was the ONLY thing I said that was supposed to be directed at your post.

They do work on SLIGHTLY OLDER GMs as well as that is where the protocol came from. First OBDI (OBD 1) then OBDII came out then in 96 it was turned into the industry standard required on all vehicles.

OBDII is not the same as what you read on the dash. OBDII is the protocols for generic data interface to the ECM only. And what information is available for any cheap OBDII scan tool is very limited. All manufactures have to meet a minimum. requirement for what data is available accross generic OBDII before manufacturer specific decoding is required. The basic requirement is to see basic data required for emissions testing.

Some vehicles you get a lot of info off generic OBDII protocol, others you get the bare minimum.

As for Scanguage vs dash, no it's not simply digital versus analog. All dash needles for engine status including tach (only the speedometer is not for sure on all vehicles) ARE BUFFERED. The tachometers are more like they are damped (delayed response). Temp, gas gauge and everything else is buffered so it does NOT bounce around as minor changes are happening. Like engine temperature gauges are specifically designed to stop at a specific point and stay there unless temperatures go above normal operating range.

The problem is that people use these tools thinking they know more than those of us who's lifestyle work has been the automotive industry because some old guy tells them info that is 20+years outdated. So then it becomes a debate and forces us to waste time putting piles of facts in front of them. And some still think they know better and expect mechanics to fix problems that dont exist or refuse to fix problems that do then throw a tantrum when the problem becomes bigger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Tigris99
Teardrop Master

Postby gudmund » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:01 pm

like I said - I stand corrected and No, I don't know as much as I used to know when I was more up on yesterdays 'tech-no what-ever' BUT yes I was correct for what I said about 1996, was I not? and for me the Scangauge is "just a indicator" I use along with the idiot lites/very few gauges on my -YES- GM vehicle of today (and every day for me being I am of the GM opinion - go ahead and say what you will, there just opinion's and everyone has one) take care and keep up the good work (retired now and so glad I don't have to do that (work) any longer......................
Last edited by gudmund on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:40 pm

got a bit sidetracked here earlier and forgot to tell you about the one feature of the Scangauge that is my favorite and that it's Speedometer feature and it's "adjustability" - first off - it can be adjusted up or down (+/- percent %) for different tire sizes for a bit more accurate MPH along with being I live so close to Canada, I can reset it for Km's (kilometer's) when I am there. And yes, the speedo in my vehicle has the Km reading's on it, BUT it is so hard to read when driving, being it has such small print in Km's on it's dial - So with the Scangauge, I just reset it for Km's (when north of the border) and being I have it mounted at eye level on the top of the dash, it is so much easier :thumbsup: to read (so as not to be getting pulled over for speeding! when there!! :cry: ) later
Last edited by gudmund on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gudmund
500 Club

Postby lfhoward » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:12 pm

That’s a good point about mph/kph north of the border. I calibrated my mph on the Scangauge because my Jeep has a size larger tires than stock, so that the miles per gallon that is displayed would be more accurate. I own a Jeep for work but even so I am very mileage conscious. Using the Scangauge I’ve been able to modify my driving habits so that I can be 10-15% more efficient, which saves me money and reduces my environmental impact. Getting 2 mpg better in a Jeep is a 10% improvement on stock highway mileage.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:19 pm

I also notice my driving habits are better as our TV is also our only vehicle. Looking back thru our travel log, I have gained an average 2 MPG in my non-towing local travel on a 19 gallon tank, might not seem much until you look at the long term.

Second thought - how many are using a TV that is factory setup for towing or have they modified a TV and hoped it would be ok based on something someone said. How many have check all the GVW's and actually measured things? I run 100 pounds over on the whole total weight when I am going out on a long trip so I tend to watch the numbers over the 'lights'.

I have a factory tow package, transmission cooler and the manual schedule is fluid change at 100,000 miles but something I found:
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.34 KiB) Viewed 4153 times

I don't know what temp my idiot light comes on at but I'd rather know that temp so I can schedule an early change as I have hit 200 degrees several times and it makes me hold back even though I am cruising at 55.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles