Tow Vehicles at Campgrounds

All about towing and tow vehicles

Tow Vehicles at Campgrounds

Postby NJCamperDude » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:20 pm

Hi, all, kind of a newb question here, but then again, I am a newb, so apologies for a few basic questions...

1. I know many larger, drivable RV's simply pull up to their designated spot at a CG and just park, but what do those with smaller towables normally do? Can the tow vehicle rest directly in front of the trailer? Does it need to be parked on the side? Are there any hard rules about this, or capground etiqutte involving tow vehicles?

2. I exclusively plan on staying at campgrounds, and I'm wondering what the spots normally consist of? Mostly grass, gravel, concrete pads? Trying to get a feel for what I should expect most of the time, so I can be better prepared.

Thanks for your help. My trailer is being built currently, and I'm officially hitting the road sometime in July.
NJCamperDude
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tow Vehicles at Campgrounds

Postby GuitarPhotog » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:37 pm

NJCamperDude wrote:Hi, all, kind of a newb question here, but then again, I am a newb, so apologies for a few basic questions...

1. I know many larger, drivable RV's simply pull up to their designated spot at a CG and just park, but what do those with smaller towables normally do? Can the tow vehicle rest directly in front of the trailer? Does it need to be parked on the side? Are there any hard rules about this, or capground etiqutte involving tow vehicles?

2. I exclusively plan on staying at campgrounds, and I'm wondering what the spots normally consist of? Mostly grass, gravel, concrete pads? Trying to get a feel for what I should expect most of the time, so I can be better prepared.

Thanks for your help. My trailer is being built currently, and I'm officially hitting the road sometime in July.

I have been camping in my teardrop for 9 years now and have experienced all of the above. Often you will need to back the trailer into the campsite. The campsites are often set up so your "living space" is on the passenger side of the site. I have had to park beside the trailer when camping in a tent site that doesn't have a deep driveway. I have camped on grass, gravel, tarmac, and concrete in various campsites. Short driveways are typical for tent sites in state parks in the west, because a large flat space is adjacent for the tent, but usually you are not allowed to put the trailer there.

All of this said, all my teardropping experience has been west of the Mississippi, in the US and Canada

:beer:

<Chas>
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby NJCamperDude » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks, Chas :thumbsup:. Not the answer I was hoping for (as that complicates things), but kinda what I expected. Was HOPING to hear something like lush, grassy, green spots which makes for easy parking. As it'll probably take me a while to get used to backing the trailer up, my plan is to simply unhook it and walk it into place if I muss the parking up lol. That will be kinda difficult on gravel! Also, seems odd/peculiar setting up camp on a concrete pad/slab. Can I still put up a shower tent, chairs, etc.?

Does the front office/ranger advise you how to park after you check in, or do you just have to eyeball it to figure out what's going on?
NJCamperDude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Florida Native » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Usually, spots will be either pull throughs or back ins. Pull throughs are more rare in state park type campgrounds (in my experience) and usually reserved for the big boys. With a teardrop you will most likely get a back in. Many places you can reserve the exact spot you want that is available.

Back in. Level. Chock. Unhitch. Pull forward a little. Pop open a cold beverage. Nothing to it.

When backing in, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Florida Native
Teardrop Builder

Postby NJCamperDude » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:49 pm

Florida Native wrote:Usually, spots will be either pull throughs or back ins. Pull throughs are more rare in state park type campgrounds (in my experience) and usually reserved for the big boys. With a teardrop you will most likely get a back in. Many places you can reserve the exact spot you want that is available.

Back in. Level. Chock. Unhitch. Pull forward a little. Pop open a cold beverage. Nothing to it.

When backing in, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and move your hand in the direction you want the back of the trailer to go.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

:thumbsup: :beer:
NJCamperDude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Philip » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:29 am

All the commercial campgrounds I was in last year. Only one was a back in for larger tow rigs. All the rest were drive threw for any large rigs. All drive threws were gravel based. Except the one that was back in that campground had no gravel anywhere in sight. Just bare dirt or mud depends on the weather that day.

On allstays that campground had a good rating. After we got parked I told the wife if she heard the theme song to deliverance start playing. Get in the truck now. We can replace anything we left. :lol:
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby Bill n Robi » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Some camp ground have rules about parking on dirt and grass (oil and coolant leaking pollution) and you must park on the asphalt/concrete slabs.

Check out https://www.campsitephotos.com/ for views of sites before you make reservations.

Many iphone/android apps that have views also.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby KTM_Guy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:13 am

You will find very busy campgrounds have mostly asphalt or concrete pads, you HAVE to park on the pad. Less used or remote campsites may be gravel or dirt. It will be hard packed. No problem setting up chairs and stuff like that. I you have an awning or something that requires stakes have a plan B if you are on a hard pad.

The shower tents can be a problem because of the waste (gray) water. I was in Sedona a few weeks ago and stopped at a campground to take some photos. One the check in board it said "No shower/potty tents allowed". I wanted to ask about it but the campground was closed because of snow and no one was there. It was a Forest Service campground. I also saw an issue at Zion with someones soapy runoff water. They got thrown out of the campground but that was because they wanted to fight with the camp host about it. But if you are camping in campgrounds do you need it?

When you get your trailer find a big empty parking lot and practice backing into parking spots. Use some chalk and draw lines that would act like a campsite you would see in real life. Mose campgrounds are not built on a grid like a parking lot.Also don't be afraid to ask for help backing up if you need to. I'm sure there are videos on Youtube to teach how to back a trailer.

Todd
KTM_Guy
500 Club

Postby Lucky J » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:43 am

All tye above suggestion for backing up in a spot are dead on! I will add an other one, try not to over steer. That is most of the time when things go south. Small direction change, will get you there. Maybe slower, but easier that going to far, cause for sure, you will have to get back fully straight again and do it all over.

If you know how to do it, one cab even back up a trailer a 30 miles per hour. Lol.

In my mine, you will find way better camp site, often more private when backing up to a site than driving through with where people can walk in front and behind you.

Have fun outhere!
Luc Levesque
TD : 2017 Silver T@G Max Outback with upgrade project
TV 1 2005 Unlimited 2005 TJL
TV2 2005 Nissan X-Trail
Lucky J
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles