Towing Teardrop vs 16' Fiberglass

All about towing and tow vehicles

Towing Teardrop vs 16' Fiberglass

Postby scotty_pac » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:30 am

We have a teardrop and are considering upgrading to a 16' fiberglass such as a Casita, Scamp, etc. To those of you who have experience both, would you say the bigger trailer is considerably more challenging? Although we love our teardrop, a growing family calls for changes.

Thanks in advance.
scotty_pac
Teardrop Master

Re: Towing Teardrop vs 16' Fiberglass

Postby Graniterich » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:51 am

What is your tow vehicle?

Sent from my A1-840FHD using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby scotty_pac » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:02 pm

I have a 2014 Toyota Sienna, but I'm open to getting a Tacoma if needed.
scotty_pac
Teardrop Master

Postby David H. » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:12 pm

My current tow vehicle is a Ranger mini truck (4 liter engine). I have a teardrop and a 13' Boler. Tows both easy. I used to tow my 13 Burro with a 2.3 4 banger Toyota truck. Slower than current truck but is doable. I am rated at 3500 lb towing and I think your Sienna is as well. My trucks are 4x4 so had lower gears? The 16s are heavier but I used to haul 2 600 dirt bikes as well as my quad and my Burro trailer. Downshift on hills. Both trucks are 5 speed manual tranys.
David H.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ae6black » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:42 pm

I have a 4 X8 Teardrop that I made to slide off of my utility trailer. Currently it's sitting on stilts so I can use the trailer for other things. Because of age, I bought a 17 ft Casita with the bathroom. Never thought I'd like a wet bath but am quite comfortable with it. The only difference going down the road with the two units is the the Casita takes up the whole rear view mirror. Since I pull with a 1/2 ton chevy, not much difference between towing the teardrop or the Casita. I do use towing mode with the Casita just because it's a tad heavier than the teardrop and I want higher rpms in the truck to protect my engine. I have towed the tear and a larger stick built camper with a Durango and would say that there really isn't much difference between the two besides the weight. If you can back into a site with one you can back into a site with the other. If anyone has a harbor freight trailer and is interested, I'll let the teardrop go at much cheaper than you could build one for. I haven't advertised because very few people want an unmounted teardrop. Since I live in someone else's home, I am not going to buy another trailer to put under this unit to sell it. I'll consider that option five years from now when I have my own place and am retired. If I don't like the Casita for winter camping during hunting season with it winterized, I'll just remount my tear and use it next year. In my opinion, a teardrop can't be beat for winter camping. As a base hunting camp, these things shine.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles