Raising A Pickup Bed Cover

All about towing and tow vehicles

Raising A Pickup Bed Cover

Postby Tomterrific » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:13 am

Has anyone done this? I have a Nissan Frontier and 4 or 5 inches higher on the cover would give more storage room in the bed. I am thinking a C channel made from wood that clamps like a cap. Any simple or crazy idea is welcome.

Thanks,
Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Re: Raising A Pickup Bed Cover

Postby working on it » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:34 pm

* I considered doing a raised-side bed addition, but didn't really want to remove my crossover toolbox I've had for 15 years (I have everything I need...for the truck alone, not for camping... in it already; I just needed to make a removable cover (that keeps out leaves and debris while my truck sits out in the open): http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71663

* However, I liked the raised-side project done in this YouTube video : https://youtu.be/6eVBddGOTY8 , and still might get around to it someday, if ever I dispense with the crossover toolbox. Instead of using posts in the stake pockets, I'd retain the Unistrut I installed for my bedcover, and use steel Unistrut hardware to be the mounting points (also could be removable in sections, or as one assembled piece). Just one suggested way to make one....

2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:13 am

working on it, i picked up a used topper off the Dallas CL that was used by an exterminator service

it has winddors(one on each side instead of side windows)

had to remove the shelving in the sides(rivets drilled out) and power wash it a couple times using the engine cleaner/degreaser mode to remove the smell/residue

been using it now for over 15yrs

the winddoors make the toolbox accessable w/ a short step ladder(needed for the height of the F-350 bed rails)

i lift the whole thing on n off as kneaded

while in place i slide a sheet if 1/2" plywood on the floor to make crawling in n out easier on these old knees and cover the gooseneck ball holes

if you do get a topper take an inexpensive garden hoe(the kind w/ the spot welded blade not one w/ a forged blade) and grind the welds that hold the blade leaving you a nice long wooden handled hook for retrieving your stuff from up front while standing behind the tailgate on the ground

seems like we never have enuff room for our stuff

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:08 am

* swoody126-I probably won't get another topper, unless it's for my wife's '98 GMC extended cab, since we use it the most for Home Depot trips or grocery runs (the rear seat is quite handy for packages in the rain...my '04 2500HD Chevy has no rear seat, and the bed has my camping gear always in place). My HHR Panel is used pretty much the same, except it only can handle short & narrow items from the big box stores.

* I've been waiting over a year for an AWD SUV that a friend is/was building for me, to carry larger loads inside (including the camping gear), freeing up one/both of the pickups for pure hauling duties...that's when I might do a topper install. I miss the toppers I once had (on a '81 Ford Courier, and more recently on a '75 Chevy 1500), but when I sold each of those trucks, the matching toppers went too. I used to sleep at work (120 mile round trip home and back) during ice storms in the back of both, then in the HHR Panel after the '75 was sold. Toppers are very useful.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles