The Jimmy - a tow vehicle for hunting and tight places

All about towing and tow vehicles

The Jimmy - a tow vehicle for hunting and tight places

Postby Squigie » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:26 am

I'm building up another tow rig specifically aimed at off road usefulness.
A 1999 GMC Jimmy that is getting a V8 and some suspension and drivetrain upgrades.
I started this post just for the front receiver hitch. But I'll probably post more updates. So this may turn into more of a build log for the TV.
This is the first post. There will be more.

We go'na have a front receiver hitch, boys. :thumbsup:

Part of the process of upgrading this thing involved having to cut the receiver hitch off of its brackets, in order to gain access to other things - including the seized bolts holding the receiver and bumper brackets.
When I was carrying that receiver hitch to the junk pile, the thought popped into my head, "This should fit between the frame rails up front. Why not cut it down, fab some new mount plates, and have a front receiver?"

At least twice a year, I end up trying to shove my trailer into a spot so tight that I can't back it in. I might be able to push it in, if I had a front receiver. But I don't. So, we end up pushing the trailer by hand (off-road, remember), or having to settle for a less desirable hidey-hole for the trailer.

"All I would need is some 1/4" plate and some new welding rod..."

That thought festered, nagged, gnawed at my brain for a week and a half.

Last night, I was $5.02 short of free shipping from Summit for an oil filter relocation kit and filters. So, I searched for a few things, like headlight bulbs and miscellaneous shop items. It was all overpriced. Then I remembered that I do need a replacement receiver hitch for the rear.

The first hit was a *front* receiver hitch. "Hmmmm." I added it to the cart just so I wouldn't "lose" it while I thought about the junked receiver outside, and then kept looking for a rear receiver hitch that mounted in a better way than the one that I removed.

In the end, it came down to four factors that convinced me to pony up the bucks:
1. The placement of that receiver hitch will serve as better protection for my remote oil filter and lines than the little factory bit of stamped sheet metal behind the bumper skin.
2. I can put the bike rack up there, and splatter my bikes with bugs, rather than having to tie them on somewhere else when towing a trailer.
3. I priced steel last week, for this and another job. The price is up, but I could still swing it. However, my steel supplier won't make any cuts right now. For the 1/4" plate, I have to buy a full 24x120" sheet, or full 20-foot strip. I don't need or want that much. It's just a pain in the butt.
-3.a. I know I can order smaller pieces online. But I have had very bad luck doing so. Most of the packages arrive empty, with a big hole in one end/side.
4. I'm lazy. If there is a convenient way of getting the job done, that doesn't require hours of my time, I'll probably go that route. For the price of this hitch, it was worth it to me.

There is one big downside, though. If the vehicle is involved in a notable front-end collision, that receiver is going to ensure that both frame rails are damaged, rather than possibly just one side. So, a front-ender will be an insurance write-off and certain death for the vehicle.

Anyway, I'm excited.
Even if it turns out to not be as useful as I might hope, I still like having the option and ability to use it.

I bought this thing with a seized engine and blown oil system, specifically to swap in a V8. The project officially started in September 2020, but other priorities (and other vehicles taking up space) have had it on the back burner.
It doesn't look like much, but I am still in the phase where I'm analyzing the puzzle. Once the important pieces are figured out and/or in place, it will start taking shape more quickly.

Tiny sidebar: I bought this from a cop. His dog bit my leg hard enough to leave a gash and draw blood, as I was leaving. I have rarely seen a police officer look so scared and helpless (and befuddled by the dog's behavior). He was afraid he was going to get sued. I assured him that it would not be an issue if my leg was fine. But he sure was nervous about it.
My leg healed just fine.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Re: The Jimmy - a tow vehicle for hunting and tight places

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:01 pm

This ought to be fun to watch progress.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:01 pm

the dog may have been 'upset' about losing his ride..... :cry: Once you get the v8 in it, you may have to stop by and give the dog another ride :thumbsup: take care and good luck on the re-build :thumbsup:
gudmund
500 Club

Postby working on it » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:17 am

Squigie wrote:...
I started this post just for the front receiver hitch.a useful thing to have, for moving a trailer with a heavy tongue weight, if you no longer can handle those kind of things

At least twice a year, I end up trying to shove my trailer into a spot so tight that I can't back it in. I might be able to push it in, if I had a front receiver. But I don't. So, we end up pushing the trailer by hand (off-road, remember), or having to settle for a less desirable hidey-hole for the trailer.I haven't used my front hitch for that while camping, but it's necessary for me to move my 4x8 downhill, to the left, and into it's garage bay...by myself, after every trip

I'm lazy. If there is a convenient way of getting the job done, that doesn't require hours of my time, I'll probably go that route. For the price of this hitch, it was worth it to me.as well as being lazy, I'm cheap...I found a way to make a light-duty front hitch for nothing (first experimental, strap-on hitch, then the second one, a $10 permanent solution

There is one big downside, though. If the vehicle is involved in a notable front-end collision, that receiver is going to ensure that both frame rails are damaged, rather than possibly just one side. So, a front-ender will be an insurance write-off and certain death for the vehicle.not a problem, my front hitch will make sure no one "brake checks" me with impunity

* I had to have a pushbar/receiver hitch on the front of my truck so I could maneuver my heavy 4x8 trailer downhill, to the left, and thru a narrow garage bay opening (6" to spare on the left, and 12" on the right...as viewed facing the garage), on a sandy/rocky/leaf debris strewn (usually) slope, 50 feet. With my trailer tongue weighing about 266 lbs, I shouldn't try it by myself in any case, but using a front hitch ball makes it easy.

* I drive into my rear yard, which is 120 feet from the street, make a 90 degree turn after the 8ft gate, and drop my trailer (using a tongue-mounted scissor jack ($32), and a large diameter jockey-wheeled-jack (8" wheel added to existing jack, $22)) http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70367&hilit=+jockey+wheel#p1229489, swing the trailer around so it faces the truck (the wheel makes it possible), remove the wheeled jack while using the scissor jack again to lower the tongue onto the front hitch ball ($10 receiver extension piece with $15 used 2" ball/hitch), then drive forward into the garage bay. I had been fighting this problem for 5 years, before spending a few hours and about $80 total, including bolts, for this solution.
  • 156217 scissor jack used to lift tongue for placing on front hitch, or adding the rolling jack, or for parking
  • 154322 8" wheel added to existing jack, enables rolling over sandy/rocky driveway
  • 14709418" extension receiver tube, bolted into frame slot, replaces tow hook

* May your front receiver hitch prove as useful and back-saving as my redneck-engineered one has proven to be.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Squigie » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:22 am

Heh.
It turns out that that front hitch (65005) was listed incorrectly.
I went digging for instructions and the one that is on the way is for full-size blazers and trucks.
Getting ahold of Summit was not easy. In the end, they told me I'd have to refuse the shipment or use the enclosed return label (part of the invoice) after it arrives. ...Because it already shipped.

So, I special ordered the correct hitch (65004).
Claimed current lead time is 3 weeks, with a substantial covid disclaimer suggesting that it could take forever.

working on it wrote:as well as being lazy, I'm cheap...I found a way to make a light-duty front hitch for nothing (first experimental, strap-on hitch, then the second one, a $10 permanent solution

* May your front receiver hitch prove as useful and back-saving as my redneck-engineered one has proven to be.

A good solution, especially for the intended application.
In my case, I wanted the hitch ball on the vehicle centerline. This receiver could also potentially be used as a winch point; or a pipe rack mount. So, a little more in the way of attachment points makes me feel better about it. It also allows both tow hooks to remain in place - which I use more frequently than most people would expect, while hunting and camping.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles