Subaru Solterra EV

All about towing and tow vehicles

Subaru Solterra EV

Postby QueticoBill » Tue May 11, 2021 10:46 am

The new Subaru Solterra EV expected in 2022 has an European tow capacity of 2000 kg, 4400 pounds. US is around 70% or so on other cars I've looked at so 3000 on an EV suv not bad. How much range is used to light and maybe ac a small trailer?
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Re: Subaru Solterra EV

Postby BigGoofyGuy » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:49 pm

perhaps a camper trailer with solar panels to help extend the range and/or power the camp when at the camp site?
:thinking:

perhaps a camper trailer with extra batteries could help with the range and/or power the camp when at the camp site?
BigGoofyGuy
The 300 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:21 am

BigGoofyGuy wrote:perhaps a camper trailer with solar panels to help extend the range and/or power the camp when at the camp site?

perhaps a camper trailer with extra batteries could help with the range and/or power the camp when at the camp site?

You need about 5KW worth of panels to charge a Tesla from what I read online. Even if you want to take 2 days to recharge its about 10 250W panels. A 2nd battery could help, but it would be really expensive and/or really heavy, which would then reduce your range. I think a generator would be the best bet/
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:23 am

Socal Tom wrote:
BigGoofyGuy wrote:perhaps a camper trailer with solar panels to help extend the range and/or power the camp when at the camp site?

You need about 5KW worth of panels to charge a Tesla from what I read online. Even if you want to take 2 days to recharge its about 10 250W panels. A 2nd battery could help, but it would be really expensive and/or really heavy, which would then reduce your range. I think a generator would be the best bet/

Or to make it even simpler, a TV that runs off of the same elixir that the generators do. :lol:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:14 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
Socal Tom wrote:

Or to make it even simpler, a TV that runs off of the same elixir that the generators do. :lol:

Tom

My next TV will probably be a hybrid for that reason. The EV system isn't ready for long trips yet. PP ( pre-pandemic), the lines at the Tesla chargers on the thanksgiving (?) sunday in Barstow ( 1/2 way between vegas and LA) were 6 to 8 hours long ( if memory serves). Only 30 minutes to charge but the wait to get one was ridiculous. Some day maybe, but not right now. ( Granted if the gas supply were totally interrupted, an electric vehicle and a trailer full of solar panels is probably your best bet for getting anywhere, but it would be kind of like Matt Damon in the Martian. You might only get 30 miles per day of charging.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:36 pm

...the lines at the Tesla chargers...

Lines? What lines? :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:43 pm

tony.latham wrote:
...the lines at the Tesla chargers...

Lines? What lines? :frightened:

Tony

Do you have some sort of cable that let's you charge your cell phone from that, Tony?
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:03 pm

This thread got me curious about the relative energy available from various resources:

1 gallon of gasoline yields 33.7 Kilowatt hours

My 100 watt solar panel yields (assuming it really is a 100 watt panel, with, say 9 hours of usable sunlight a day) 0.9 kilowatt hours a day. it would take more than a month to get the same amount of energy as a gallon of gasoline. Truly, gasoline is a magic elixir full of energy!

On the other hand, 1 gram of uranium yields 24000 kilowatt hours of energy, but you also need to bring a reactor. Can't just use the dirt you pick up off the res.

One mouse yields about 0.000014 kilowatt hours each day, but you need to bring your own mouse wheels.

A glass of beer provides you about 0.1 kilowatt hours, but you need about 0.24 kilowatt hours per day, so better bring several (and don't feed too much to the mice) :beer:

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:35 pm

The new electric ford pick up is by reporters not much more than 100 miles on a charge towing. But I have faith EV will get there, or the batteries will.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:47 pm

QueticoBill wrote:The new electric ford pick up is by reporters not much more than 100 miles on a charge towing. But I have faith EV will get there, or the batteries will.

Out here, that would be just enough to get you into trouble. Albuquerque to Denver is 450 miles and I can make it on a tank of gas. Then, it takes about 5 minutes to refill.

If an EV ever approaches that (at a comparable price), I'll listen. But I'm not holding my breath--a 5x increase in battery storage is not trivial. I'd bet it won't happen in my lifetime.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Socal Tom » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:01 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:The new electric ford pick up is by reporters not much more than 100 miles on a charge towing. But I have faith EV will get there, or the batteries will.

Out here, that would be just enough to get you into trouble. Albuquerque to Denver is 450 miles and I can make it on a tank of gas. Then, it takes about 5 minutes to refill.

If an EV ever approaches that (at a comparable price), I'll listen. But I'm not holding my breath--a 5x increase in battery storage is not trivial. I'd bet it won't happen in my lifetime.

Tom

They are looking at some other energy storage options that aren't chemical based ( solid state). But most likely it will be improved infrastructure, i,e more charging stations closer together and quicker charging. It wouldn't be awful to take a 15 minute charge every 100 to 200 miles. Or they might come up with a system that charges while you drive, like an electric train . One of the chevy electric cars has a built in generator. Its technically an EV, not a hybrid, but it can charge itself if needed. I think I read that if the battery gets low, its max speed is 35 mph or something, but if you stop for lunch, or park at the camp site it charges. Or if you are in stop and go traffic, it charges.
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:07 pm

At 69, I think there's a good chance of an electric tow vehicle that will go 500 miles on a charge (or hydrogen fill-up) in 20 years. The Rivian is expected to get 200 miles with an 11,000 pound trailer, available later this year. Some of the semi trucks coming out will get over 500. I'll remain optimistic.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby gudmund » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:31 pm

the Chey spoken about here was the 'Volt' which is not being made any longer being it did not sell enough. The electric one they make now is the "Bolt" which is 'totally' electric with a 200++mile range - towing capacity = ???????..................
gudmund
500 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:39 pm

gudmund wrote:the Chey spoken about here was the 'Volt' which is not being made any longer being it did not sell enough. The electric one they make now is the "Bolt" which is 'totally' electric with a 200++mile range - towing capacity = ???????..................

Was that their hybrid? We wanted to try out Toyota's hybrid so rented one while I was on a business trip. The Avis rental people at Syracuse Airport changed it for the Chevy model, which, it turns out, only got about 25 miles to the gallon. Had to refill it several times on that trip which pissed me off because I was paying for it. Not impressed with Chevy's alternative technologies.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:57 pm

Socal Tom wrote:It wouldn't be awful to take a 15 minute charge every 100 to 200 miles.

I think that would be awful. Spend an hour and fifteen minutes recharging added to a 6 hour drive to get to Denver, no way!

Out here, there are a lot of places you can go, especially camping, where you won't see a gas station for a hundred miles or more. Much of the Navajo Nation has no power infrastructure, and no one can afford to build one. So do you think someone will fund a recharging station every hundred miles? Have to bring in power lines, or build a dedicated wind or solar farm for each station. $>

Socal Tom wrote: ... I think I read that if the battery gets low, its max speed is 35 mph or something, but if you stop for lunch, or park at the camp site it charges. Or if you are in stop and go traffic, it charges.

Geez! No sale! Has to at least be as convenient as a current gasoline powered tow vehicle, at the same price.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Next

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles