Do I have a tongue weight problem?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Re: Do I have a tongue weight problem?

Postby Ottsville » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:06 am

QueticoBill wrote:https://rvnerds.com/resources/speed-limits-and-towing/
Perhaps I missed one but it seems a total of 5 states still have lower rv limits, and I'm not sure any apply to single axel trailers in the weight range of most tnttt trailers.

That link goes to RV and truck speed limits but does have some trailer information down lower. I see it doesn't list VA as a state with differing speed for towing, but I'm fairly certain that is incorrect. The section of the code linked below states combination vehicles have a lower speed limit than passenger vehicles. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/tit ... n46.2-870/
I usually refer to this link for speeds, but I can't seem to find a date on it so it may be incorrect.
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/state-towing-speeds/
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Socal Tom » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:53 pm

troubleScottie wrote: Too much is bad as is too little.

Too little will cause instability and can lead to deathly outcomes. What seems ok on flat ground can change quickly in windy conditions, and on inclines, as weight transfers to the rear as you go up hill. A little too much is perfectly safe. A lot too much will over compress the springs and will be evident as soon as you pull out of the driveway. A lot too much is bad., but I worry much more about too little than I do too much.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby Chief-John » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:37 pm

My son loads a 4-wheeler on the front deck of his popup camper and used a load leveler to compensate. He just went to airbags in the rear coil springs of his 'FJ' and said, WOW! Vehicle handling is greatly improved over the load leveler and his trailer tracking is excellent
Chief-John
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MickinOz » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:55 pm

LeftyDale wrote:I would like to second the comment regarding towing speeds. A lower tongue weight can be safe at lower speeds, but unstable at the speeds we tow in the US.

cwegga wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:Also found this sage post:
"The rated towing capacity has everything to do with liability and is dictated by the insurance folks. The Same exact Element is rated to tow 3236lbs in Australia when using trailer brakes."

I'd certainly not go over the US limits in US because of liability.

I would like to point out here that liability is not the only difference between towing in Australia or Europe, etc. and the US. If you look at trailer designs they vary across the world and many places have trailers with more centered axles and correspondingly lower tongue weights per trailer weight. Also going along with that different places have different laws about towing speeds. (Those low tongue weight trailers would be unstable at high US towing speeds) Last time I towed my camp trailer the speed limit at the highest was 85mph (135kph) and I towed at that. Places with different weight ratings, and different trailer designs often have different legal towing speeds also.

Guys, I call bullshit on your perceptions of Australia. We have speed limits of up to 130km/hr. (Northern Territory). Most of the open road is 110km/hr (68mph).
We also mandate minimum 10% of the loaded weight of the trailer must be on the tow ball. That has less to do with axle placement and more to do with where you place your load in relation to that axle.
Only one state has a lower limit for trailer towing. WA - 100km/hr or 62mph. It's not the state that has the 130 km/hr limit. I guarantee you, if the trailer is stable at our speeds, it will be stable at yours.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Previous

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles