Should we trade our Taco for a Tundra?

All about towing and tow vehicles

Should we trade our Taco for a Tundra?

Postby Tom&Shelly » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:56 pm

When we did the calculations, and looked at the specs, we decided neither of our Jeep Wranglers would be suitable for towing our 1800 lb teardrop across the continent, so we bought a new 2018 Tacoma

154881 154882 154880

which we've used, and it does the job nicely, except, after driving it across country, I find I simply don't like driving it as much as the Jeeps. In the Taco you sit almost like in a car, with your feet not so far below your torso. Also, I find the steering wheel too far away--I have to extend my arms, which gets tiring after a few hours. In our 2007 and 2009 Wranglers, you sit more upright (like "in a truck"), which, to me feels much more natural. I've driven a Jeep for 8 to 12 hours at a stretch (sometimes even over questionable roads)

or even on busy interstates, without feeling too fatigued.

When I've borrowed a 2010(?) Tundra from friends, I also feel comfortable, sitting upright, much like a Jeep. That too, I've driven for hours at a time, pulling a (balloon) trailer and felt fine. So we're considering--just starting our research--the possibility of trading in the Taco for a Tundra. Lots of questions, and I'm posting this looking for comments and opinions.

I do realize the seating position in the 3rd generation Tacos is at least partly due to safety considerations, and that it is a very safe vehicle. I gather one reason the steering wheel is so far away is to give the air bag room to inflate without smashing into the driver's face. So, has Toyota redesigned the later model Tundras in the same way?

Then, of course, there is gas mileage. I'm not so happy that we seemed to get something south of 13 mpg while pulling the teardrop. Granted the published mileage ratings for the Tundra are less than for the Taco, but I assume the larger engine means the teardrop affects it less, so it might be, if not an overall gain, at least not as much of a loss as would appear at first blush?

Both Tacos and Tundras seem to hold their value pretty well, so we think we could trade (well, buy and privately sell) for a used 2018-ish Tundra without losing too much in the deal, relative to having bought a new 2018 Tundra back then.

Any thoughts or comments? Particularly interested in the opinions of anyone who's driven both types of vehicles.

Thanks!

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Re: Should we trade our Taco for a Tundra?

Postby MickinOz » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:27 am

2009 Wrangler towing capacity here in Oz starts at 1600kg/3500 lbs (braked trailers)
What made the Wranglers unsuitable for an 1800 lbs teardrop?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Spotman » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:17 am

I have a 2018 Tundra that I have been towing the teardrop and a '68 Scotty Highlander with. Always have been comfortable in the Tundra's. Have had a 2015 and 2008 also, just upgraded. I have owned Ford, Chevy and Dodge pick ups in the past. I say comfortable because I am 6'2" and a little heavy for my frame! 8)
I've had a few cars in the past, but I like my Trucks. Like you said the values don't go down on these, my dealer offered me $30,000+ to sell it back and I only paid $24,000 when I bought it. They are desperate for the resale values now a day. :roll:

Bob
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:12 pm

I pulled a 4500 lb loaded boat trailer, & did get about the same milage at 13 with my 5.7 Tundra.
When I bought mine I was 6'6" and could lift 300 lb's.
Sold it and the boat when I learned to lift 20 :frightened:

Your's is gold :thinking:

Get somthing fluffy behind your back ?

I still remember the lower seat cushion in the Tundra :R
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:33 pm

mileage and towing are 2 words i refrain from using in the same sentence/paragraph/story ...

TV's are chosen for their SAFETY(1st & 2nd) & ABILITY(3rd) knot mileage IMHO

when choosing a TV i get to pick my fave from the one(s) the bridal unit deems comfortable for her to sit/ride in that meet criteria numbers 1 - 3 above

now you know why i have an F-350(4x4 7.3 auto 4-door 8' bed SRW) ;-)

the cost of fuel is part of doing life as we choose to do it

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:17 pm

swoody126 wrote:mileage and towing are 2 words i refrain from using in the same sentence/paragraph/story ...

TV's are chosen for their SAFETY(1st & 2nd) & ABILITY(3rd) knot mileage IMHO

when choosing a TV i get to pick my fave from the one(s) the bridal unit deems comfortable for her to sit/ride in that meet criteria numbers 1 - 3 above

now you know why i have an F-350(4x4 7.3 auto 4-door 8' bed SRW) ;-)

sw

I had a Work truck just like that; they didn't pay me enough!
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:47 am

swoody126 wrote:

sw

I agree with you, up to a point.
But a quick google shows average Texas price of diesel is sitting at $3.29 per gallon.
(I'm assuming you aren't so far north of Fort Worth you aren't in Texas.)

I filled up today. $1.61 AUS per litre.
About US $4.43 per US gallon.

There is a price at which fuel mileage has to be a consideration.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:07 am

MickinOz wrote:2009 Wrangler towing capacity here in Oz starts at 1600kg/3500 lbs (braked trailers)

The limits given in the owner's manual say 2000 lbs for our 2 door, (3.8 L automatic 4wd), and 3500 lbs for the 4 door (which we don't own). With our 2 door, we're too close to the line for my comfort.

When we were first designing the teardrop, our older Jeep had about 212,000 miles on it so it made sense (to us) to trade it in for a larger tow vehicle. If nothing else, we would be less likely to struggle up mountains. At the time, the Taco seemed like the right vehicle. Except for the seating position, it still does.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:15 am

twisted lines wrote:I pulled a 4500 lb loaded boat trailer, & did get about the same milage at 13 with my 5.7 Tundra.
When I bought mine I was 6'6" and could lift 300 lb's.
Sold it and the boat when I learned to lift 20 :frightened:

Your's is gold :thinking:

Get somthing fluffy behind your back ?

I still remember the lower seat cushion in the Tundra :R

Just after my first post the other day, I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4mZCNH2nPs

We bought the bolts and spacers yesterday, so we'll try this and see if making the Taco more comfortable is this simple. In my prehistoric, BC (before computer) thinking, it never occurs to me to Google around and see if anyone else has the same complaints.

We'll let you know...

Thanks everyone for the comments! This isn't over for us yet.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby MickinOz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:18 am

Tom&Shelly wrote:
MickinOz wrote:2009 Wrangler towing capacity here in Oz starts at 1600kg/3500 lbs (braked trailers)

The limits given in the owner's manual say 2000 lbs for our 2 door, (3.8 L automatic 4wd), and 3500 lbs for the 4 door (which we don't own). With our 2 door, we're too close to the line for my comfort.

When we were first designing the teardrop, our older Jeep had about 212,000 miles on it so it made sense (to us) to trade it in for a larger tow vehicle. If nothing else, we would be less likely to struggle up mountains. At the time, the Taco seemed like the right vehicle. Except for the seating position, it still does.

Tom

Wow. That'd be too close for comfort for me too.
I wonder why the limits are so different.

Toyota seating has always been an issue.
My brother had a flash Landcruiser.
When sitting in it, you definitely felt like your ass was too close to the floor.
You can tolerate feeling like your knees were up around your knees when you are on the blacktop, but off-road is a different story.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:03 pm

Tom&Shelly wrote:Just after my first post the other day, I found this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4mZCNH2nPs

We bought the bolts and spacers yesterday, so we'll try this and see if making the Taco more comfortable is this simple. In my prehistoric, BC (before computer) thinking, it never occurs to me to Google around and see if anyone else has the same complaints.

We'll let you know...

Thanks everyone for the comments! This isn't over for us yet.

Tom

Jury's still out on raising the back of the seat. I sort of like it, Shelly sort of doesn't, but neither of us is sure how we'll feel after a long drive. So we're leaving the washers in for now. It still isn't quite as nice as the Jeep, or Tundra. It is Shelly's daily driver, so she gets final say.

Since we do use it, and the Jeep, for our daily driving needs, gas mileage is important for us, except we need the 4wd to get to the road.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:26 pm

Jury's still out on raising the back of the seat.

Well, sh**. Now I have to find some spacers in this one-horse town. Might have to cut some pipe.

By the way, I downsized from a Tundra and won't go back. But I don't make intercontinental trips like you two do.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:21 pm

tony.latham wrote:
Jury's still out on raising the back of the seat.

Well, sh**. Now I have to find some spacers in this one-horse town. Might have to cut some pipe.

By the way, I downsized from a Tundra and won't go back. But I don't make intercontinental trips like you two do.

Tony

Somewhere in Youtube land, he came back and replaced the bushings he used with washers, which is what we did. If the washers weren't available, I'd be tempted to use wood, especially to try it out.

BTW, the bolts are M10-1.25, NOT M10-1.5 like the ones I'd bought yesterday. This morning I learned that M10 bolts come in three different pitches! The things they never taught us in Jr High School shop (because they hadn't invented the metric system yet!)

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Postby tony.latham » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:49 pm

I'd be tempted to use wood, especially to try it out.

In the meantime, my 3D printer is whirling away.

:frightened:

Tony

p.s. I find that thing extra handy.
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:15 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I'd be tempted to use wood, especially to try it out.

In the meantime, my 3D printer is whirling away.

:frightened:

Tony

p.s. I find that thing extra handy.

Good idea! :thumbsup:

Let us know whether or not you think its an improvement.

Tom
172912 170466
Tom&Shelly

Next

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles