Weight distribution

All about towing and tow vehicles

Weight distribution

Postby Mainmane » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:40 am

Quick newbie question. I just built my teardrop on a 5x10 utility trailer. When I pull it, while taking off from a stop and even still at low speeds, I get some tugging. It’s pretty minor but noticeable enough to cause concern. Could this be caused by poor weight distribution or is it more likely just a loosely fitting ball hitch or something of the like? I don’t want to obsess over it if it’s a normal thing to get a bit of tugging when starting and accelerating but also don’t want to ignore it if it’s a symptom of a potentially dangerous situation.

Thanks in advance for any input, I’ll post pictures of the trailer soon to share.
Mainmane
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Weight distribution

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:22 pm

I get some tugging.

Tugging? Do you mean there's slop? There shouldn't be any. I'm guessing you're using a 1-7/8" ball and a 2" coupler.

If so... don't tow it until it's fixed.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:34 pm

Klunk?
Tow something else, may be the TV ?
Last edited by twisted lines on Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:40 pm

Klunk?
My trucks have The receiver (fit tit) because I am not ok with that little click. :?
if the thing moves by hand it makes noooooise Mate :lol:
How is the tongue weight.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mainmane » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:43 pm

Not that, it’s definitely a 2” ball. The tugging definitely feels like slack, the only thing I could describe it as from personal experience would be pulling another truck on a tow rope, but way less intense/jerky. Feels almost like the trailer is catching up and then slowing down. There’s a bit of free slop between the inside of the receiver and the ball mount. I wonder if just getting a wedge type or threaded pin ball mount would take care of it.

I really need to get to a scale and get exact weight and tongue weight. I’m wondering if the extra weight from the galley in the back is more than the counter weight of the battery on the front. If so, could too much weight in the back/not enough on the tongue cause a tugging at low speeds or would that more so just cause poor control at highway speeds? Once I’m up to speed, although I’ve only pulled it about 1.5 miles at highway speeds, it seems to smooth out and cruises nicely.
Mainmane
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:38 pm

the only thing I could describe it as from personal experience would be pulling another truck on a tow rope,

That's not caused by a balance issue. If you have too much weight forward, you have too much tongue weight and it'll cause your tow vehicle to drive oddly. Too much weight aft of the axle will cause the trailer to bob and weave. Dangerously.

I think you've got something seriously wrong with the coupler or your vehicle hitch.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:00 pm

When I had that problem, it was because I didn't have it hitched solidly. I felt it and even stopped and checked it and shook the connection, lifting it.
I still couldn't find the problem. This was during my second trip out as a newbie and, luckily for me, the trailer disconnected itself while going over a bump and the chains held. I am forever grateful that this didn't happen on the freeway. Now, I feel inside the connection, after I think I'm hitched, to be certain that the forked coupler piece is firmly around the neck below the ball. I hope this story helps you because it can be both scary and dangerous if there is play in the hitch connection.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Capebuild » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:21 pm

Maybe you need an anti rattle device on your hitch. I found, while pulling my utility trailer, there was a lot of noise coming from the vicinity of where the ball hitch was located. I could feel it when driving. I have a U-haul hitch on my vehicle. The bar with the ball slides into the hitch sleeve. It rattled around quite a bit. When driving the vehicle with the utility trailer attached.... it would jump around quite a bit. You can grab your hitch (with ball) and try shaking it around. It should not have any play in it. If it does, that might be your issue and an anti rattle device might be of help. But then again, it may be something entirely different.
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Mainmane » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:29 pm

Thanks to everyone, this is a huge help. I’ll double check connection and try to get all the play out at the receiver. Fingers crossed this gets it feeling better.
Mainmane
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:59 pm

When you describe it like that, Can it be your Wheels/axles, Out of round brake drums or bad bearings?
Please check them too. :thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GTS225 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:10 am

Mainmane wrote:Quick newbie question. I just built my teardrop on a 5x10 utility trailer. When I pull it, while taking off from a stop and even still at low speeds, I get some tugging. It’s pretty minor but noticeable enough to cause concern. Could this be caused by poor weight distribution or is it more likely just a loosely fitting ball hitch or something of the like? I don’t want to obsess over it if it’s a normal thing to get a bit of tugging when starting and accelerating but also don’t want to ignore it if it’s a symptom of a potentially dangerous situation.

Thanks in advance for any input, I’ll post pictures of the trailer soon to share.

And if you have them, post a pic of the bare trailer frame. I ask, because I also have one of those low-cost utility trailers here that I use for my riding lawn tractor. The tongue is attached at only the front and second crossmembers, and those crossmembers are not all that robust. It should have been attached further back in the framing, to the third crossmember as well, and I'm wondering if you're feeling a vertical oscillation at the front, as the crossmembers flex under load, and mis-interpretting it as a tugging sensation.

Roger
GTS225
Teardrop Master

Postby Mainmane » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:35 pm

I don’t have any pics of the bare trailer, unfortunately. It’s a pretty well built trailer though, got it from a pretty reputable company near where I live. You’ve got me curious now though so I’m going to get under there and see how it’s all welded together. I ordered an anti rattle threaded hitch pin so hopefully that gets it all sorted out and I can take off my Sherlock hat and just enjoy the trailer.
Mainmane
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:06 pm

One more rare possibility but worth checking....:
Check your hitch and ball nuts...the nut that attaches your ball and the nut inside the hitch.
Neither should be loose.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:04 am

* There's an even rarer thing it might be...the entire receiver hitch assembly might be loose. Many receivers are bolted onto existing frames, using holes already on the frame. A nut is put inside the hole and the bolt fits thru the receiver structure and clamps the receiver assembly to the frame. If insufficiently tightened, the attached receiver assembly can come loose, allowing movement.

* I've had sevearal bolted-on receiver hitches over the years, and I check them for tightness every year. I normally use a weight distributing hitch that makes everything much tighter, also use a J-bolt anti-rattle pin to eliminate some slack. There's absolutely no slack in my set-up, now, and if I didn't see my trailer following behind me, I'd not even know it was there. Of course my pickup can tow 5 times the trailer's weight....
Attachments
j-bolt.JPG
j-bolt.JPG (65.76 KiB) Viewed 976 times
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mainmane » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:49 pm

Well I found the issue and it turns out it was a byproduct of my being an idiot, haha. My trailer is a utility trailer with a railing. Because so many people build on flat trailers without railing, I figured what could be the harm in just chopping a section of railing out on each side to allow for the doors to open. It turns out that trailers with railings utilize said railings as a major structural part of the trailer to prevent twisting/flexing in lieu of dedicated cross braces underneath. Spent the day over at a buddies house welding in some straight and angled bracing to replace the sections that I cut out and, lo and behold, it feels like a trailer now. No more wet noodle bungee cord tugging at all. Lesson learned, trailers (and most purpose built things in general) are built a specific way for specific purposes. Thanks again for all of y’all’s help and as soon as I learn to post pictures I’ll make something of a build journal to share.
Mainmane
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Towing and Tow Vehicles