Smoked eggs

Your recipes which you'd like to see in the TNTTT Cookbook number 3

Moderator: Mike B

Smoked eggs

Postby MickinOz » Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:41 pm

Had a quick search, couldn't see anything about smoked eggs.
The chooks are going boonta.
My friends are all saying, no more, no more.
So what to do with excess eggs?
I've always been interested in smoking food. I don't mean Texas BBQ style. I mean more along the lines of smoking for preservation - hams, bacon, mettwurst, etc.
We did it on the farm when I was a kid.
I haven't tried to do it here in town, it'd not go down well to have a smoker like we had on the farm wafting smoke 24 hours a day for a week at a time.
But I do have a little hot smoker. It's really only use it for hot smoking snapper, tommies (Australian Herring) and snook.
It does a great job of those.

I've been keen to expand the repertoire though.
So I boiled some eggs. I was aiming for soft boiled, but had a senior's moment and now I have no idea exactly how long they boiled.
But, they really only need to be cooked enough to shell them.

I shelled the eggs and put them in the smoker with a couple scoops of red gum sawdust.
Lit the spirit burner and smoked them until the burner ran out of fuel. 15-20 minutes I reckon.
After they cooled, I rolled them in a mix paprika, salt, white pepper and garlic salt.
I put them in the fridge for a day.
Tried one this morning. These are outstanding.
They taste waaay better than they look. I'll use older, easier to shell, eggs next time.

I recommend these.
Exactly the right sort of tucker for watching the Grand Final whilst having a sherbet or two with your mates.
I'd go so far as to say they might almost, only almost, make Foster's Lager taste OK.
Boiled eggs.JPG
Boiled eggs.JPG (94.35 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

Smoked.JPG
Smoked.JPG (119.55 KiB) Viewed 1498 times

Seasoned smoked eggs.JPG
Seasoned smoked eggs.JPG (116.13 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Re: Smoked eggs

Postby rjgimp » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:25 pm

I have an Instant Pot and follow a group of fellow "Pot heads" over on farcebook. Many have done a similar thing in the IP. Boiling eggs is a breeze in the thing. You put some in there and cook on high pressure 5 minutes, let the pressure release for another 5, then dump them in an ice bath for another 5. They usually come out with just a hint of soft yolk right in the middle and the shells just about fall off.

What some folks do, there's a name for it I can't think of right now, is cook on high pressure for something like two hours. They generally come out a medium brown and smell a bit smoky. Those who have done it absolutely love them. I haven't yet been able to bring myself to try it.
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby rjgimp » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:27 pm

MickinOz wrote:I'd go so far as to say they might almost, only almost, make Foster's Lager taste OK.

I think that's just crazy talk.
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:33 am

rjgimp wrote:
MickinOz wrote:I'd go so far as to say they might almost, only almost, make Foster's Lager taste OK.

I think that's just crazy talk.

Yeah, you're right. Drifted off to fantasy land for a moment there. Dunno what came over me. :?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:38 am

Trying to figure out what an instant pot is. Is it an air fryer, crockpot, dutch oven, pressure cooker all in one or something?
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:38 am

MickinOz wrote:Trying to figure out what an instant pot is.

Oregon is calling State of Emergency, theirs a problem :lol:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:02 pm

MickinOz wrote:Trying to figure out what an instant pot is. Is it an air fryer, crockpot, dutch oven, pressure cooker all in one or something?

It is mostly a stand alone pressure cooker. Far more idiot proof and safer than the old school stovetop ones. It has a stainless steel liner and a control pad on the front with a locking lid and a pressure release valve. You can also saute in it without the lid, slow cook things like a crock pot, and there is an air fryer lid/attachment available for most models. They are common here in the States and in Europe. I figured you had them down there too.
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Postby MickinOz » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:31 pm

I'm a bit 'ol school when it comes to cooking, I don't really look for new ways.
Got an electric wok, that doubles as a deep fryer for fish and chips, a 2 chicken rotisserie my mother liberated from a chicken shop about 40 years ago, a crockpot and a few things like that. Oh, and a full on wood fired brick pizza oven in the backyard.
But we ran outa storage space so no new gadgets in the last few years.

A very big thing down here at the moment is the air fryer, which I haven't really developed an interest in. I probably should though, everyone tells me they are top stuff.
Found a review of the Instant Pot Duo Nova, which describes it as a 7 in 1 multi-use pressure cooker.

A quote:
"It would appear I’m not the only one who is a fan of the Instant Pot Duo Nova. Amazon customers are thrilled this cult favourite from the US has finally arrived locally, sitting just shy of a five-star rating with hundreds of reviews."
This review is dated September 2021, so we haven't had them long.

That's not particularly surprising.
When Breville released the Pizzaiolo, we had to wait a couple years to see a 230V version.
Our market is quite small compared to the US. Less than 1/10th of your population.
Last edited by MickinOz on Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rjgimp » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:04 pm

We have an 8qt my daughter got for Christmas a few years ago. It's quite a gadget. If you have a tough cut of meat you can put it in there for about 20 minutes per pound on high pressure then let the thing shut off automatically and slowly release the pressure on its own and when you open it up the stuff just falls apart.

I make mini quiches in it sometimes for my mother in law. Steaming veg works well. Cooking rice is nearly idiot proof. They are usually just shy of $80 but I found an apparently brand spanky new 6 quart at a thrift store a few weeks ago for $20 but haven't tested it yet. I'll probably boil a dozen eggs in it over the weekend and see how it goes. If nothing else the lid and steel liner are worth that much on the parts market. Sometimes people pour stuff in it but forgot to put the inner stainless steel pot in first and usually that will ruin the thing.
-Rob

rjgimp
500 Club

Return to T&TTT Cookbook #3