Plans/idea for teardrop design under 1,000 lbs

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Plans/idea for teardrop design under 1,000 lbs

Postby Wendellnla » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:16 pm

I am currently in the design/planning phase of building a small trailer.
My original thought was to build something larger like a wanderer 10, Benroy generic or Wyoming Woodie (free plans available online). But as plans, dreams and needs change, I am leaning more towards a lighter weight teardrop for now.
It appears very unlikely I would be able to build one of the above under about 1500 lbs gross.

Sooo… I am leaning heavily towards a traditional 4 x 8 teardrop design, then rebuild an 80’s era Prowler I currently have (currently used as storage), then on to a more usable 5 x 10 design, after I use the 4 x 8 for a little while, to better assess my needs and it deficiencies. Beginning to see some signs of “mission creep” here! :roll:

As discussed in my “skinning secrets” post, a 5 wide would be better choice for the average couple (thank you Tony and others for your input) it’s just not what I want to start with.

My goal will be to build a 4 x 8 weighing under 1,000 lbs ready to camp. My reasoning for that size/weight have to do with the ability to tow it with almost any vehicle, the smaller aerodynamic foot print that should help with fuel economy and towing as well as a lower build cost for the base unit.

It does not need all the bells and whistles, just a good basic platform for sleeping and cooking.

I would also want an electrical system with usb charging ports, 12 volt sockets, the ability to plug into 120 volts when available. A stereo with blue tooth and dvd player and a small tv would be nice too.

At far as interior skin, I like the idea of baltic birch, but am open to other idea.

As far as exterior skin, I’m still in love with the idea of using cedar fence pickets (I have over 700 of them on hand) to create a “woodie” look, but I am open to other ideas for my 1st build.

I am open designing my own using sketch up but would prefer plans with material list, even if I needs to pay for those.
I can appreciate the value of detailed plans that will allow me to “cookbook” a trailer. And an accurate materials list will be helpful, as I live in a small town with 1 lumber/hardware store to buy locally. I don’t want to rely on them as they would not even order 4 x 8 pressure treated plywood to build a shed on. The nearest big box is 2:45 away, with the nearest true lumber/plywood suppliers 3:30 away in Salt Lake City. I only want to make that trip once if possible.

As far as tools, I have most of what I need with the possible exception of a plunge router, router table and band saw, which I can see the value of.

All thoughts, ideas and critiques are appreciated! Thanks !

Wendell
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Re: Plans/idea for teardrop design under 1,000 lbs

Postby TimC » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:33 pm

I'll keep an eye on your build. I am contemplating building an ultra-light trailer in a 4x8 size as well to pull with an electric vehicle. If I do get motivated (getting harder to do the last couple years) my goals will be under 600 lbs and height even or below my TV roof height. It'll be a basic cabin with mattress, light and some ventilation and a small rear galley kitchen with a few cubbies for supplies, a counter to prep food and a small pull out drawer for a small 12v fridge.

I hope you get started soon... maybe it will help me get motivated. I have no winter heated construction area so I'll have to complete the build in the spring and summer to be ready to camp this fall. Funds will mostly come from selling my woodie which is going to be a tough thing to part with. It was 1250 lbs when I stocked it for camping shortly after "finishing" it in 2016. It's probably more like 1500+ lbs now.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wendellnla » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:32 pm

TimC wrote:I'll keep an eye on your build. I am contemplating building an ultra-light trailer in a 4x8 size as well to pull with an electric vehicle. If I do get motivated (getting harder to do the last couple years) my goals will be under 600 lbs and height even or below my TV roof height. It'll be a basic cabin with mattress, light and some ventilation and a small rear galley kitchen with a few cubbies for supplies, a counter to prep food and a small pull out drawer for a small 12v fridge.

I hope you get started soon... maybe it will help me get motivated. I have no winter heated construction area so I'll have to complete the build in the spring and summer to be ready to camp this fall. Funds will mostly come from selling my woodie which is going to be a tough thing to part with. It was 1250 lbs when I stocked it for camping shortly after "finishing" it in 2016. It's probably more like 1500+ lbs now.

Tim C,

I see the pics of your build, but haven't had a chance to look at your build log.
Have you been happy with the overall function of the trailer?

I would love to take a look at you rig, but it’s a long drive to Wisconsin from Nevada!

Hopefully I can find a set of plans that puts it under 700 dry and 1,000 ready to go

I see in you signature your son built a Foamie Benroy. How did that turn out? You think it’s a viable option considering my/your build requirements? I am open to a Foamie build if it will suit my needs.

Wendell
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:47 pm

Just a thought, the Chesapeake Light Craft teardrop is I think we'll under 1000 pounds. Might fit. Fritz here built one. http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/recr ... ailer.html
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby TimC » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:50 pm

Wendellnla wrote:...
Have you been happy with the overall function of the trailer?

Very much so. I pulled it with a Ford Escape (2.0 Turbo) and had no problems. That car has a 3500 lb towing capacity and a brake controller so the weight didn't cause any scary moments.

I would love to take a look at you rig, but it’s a long drive to Wisconsin from Nevada!

Hopefully I can find a set of plans that puts it under 700 dry and 1,000 ready to go

I don't think you would go wrong choosing the Generic Benroy plan and adapting it to your own needs. I think that plan is for an eight foot length and works with four foot or five foot wide cabins.

I see in you signature your son built a Foamie Benroy. How did that turn out? You think it’s a viable option considering my/your build requirements? I am open to a Foamie build if it will suit my needs.

It was fun to build. I learned a lot about building with foam from GPW and George (ghcoe) and others here on tnttt. It is solid! 2" rigid foam walls and 1 1/2" rigid foam walls. If I build my EV towable it will be foam. The Hyundai Kona Electric has no published tow rating but if you have ever experienced driving an EV they have the guts to do the job. I just have to keep the weight down since I won't be using a brake controller and trailer brakes. You know what they say... it's not what the tow vehicle can pull, it's what the vehicle can stop in an emergency.

Andy's foamie build thread is the third one in my signature. Not as complete a write up as my first build but it gives you the idea. So much of building is common sense. And the rest is found asking questions on tnttt.

Wendell
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wendellnla » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:05 pm

QueticoBill wrote:Just a thought, the Chesapeake Light Craft teardrop is I think we'll under 1000 pounds. Might fit. Fritz here built one. http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/recr ... ailer.html

Interesting. Might be a “little” too cute for me, but I like the idea.

Wendell
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Postby Wendellnla » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:25 pm

Tim C,

I like the Benroy, just didnt look like I could get that one built under 1,000 loaded, unless it was a foam build. Not that I have a problem with the idea of a Foamie, just concerned with the durability, resale value and stability in high winds…. traveling and setup in camp. But then again, I imagine any trailer that is under 1k lbs might be a target for high winds given the right or shall I say wrong shape.

Has anyone built a couple conventional Benroy that grossed out under 1,000 lbs?

I have downloaded the plans for the Benroy as well as a few more to study the possibilities.

Does the cost of ink and paper used in printing up all the study plans count as a build cost? Or is that just the cost of dreaming! :lol:

Wendell
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Postby pchast » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:40 pm

If you look at the list of completed campers, there are several different styles that can be completed within that size range. It requires attention to detail and restriction to your plan.

I didn't include cooking for my unit. Those weights and water carrying gains pounds quickly. On the few occasions I've actually camped I carried a cooler in the car and a small picnic basket with minimal necessities.

Good Luck with your build. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Wendellnla » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:21 pm

pchast wrote:If you look at the list of completed campers, there are several different styles that can be completed within that size range. It requires attention to detail and restriction to your plan.

I didn't include cooking for my unit. Those weights and water carrying gains pounds quickly. On the few occasions I've actually camped I carried a cooler in the car and a small picnic basket with minimal necessities.

Good Luck with your build. :thumbsup:

Pchast ,

Where do I find this “list of completed campers” ?

I have poked around the forum a bit, but nothing jumped out at me. Thanks,

Wendell
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:45 pm

I like the Benroy, just didnt look like I could get that one built under 1,000 loaded, unless it...

I built this little 4 x 8' for my sis using the techniques in my book.

It weighs 800 lbs unloaded. You can slip under 1,000 with a Bennie profile, but if you add planks to the sides who knows what it'll come in at? Weight really adds up during a teardrop build.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wendellnla » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:38 am

tony.latham wrote:
I like the Benroy, just didnt look like I could get that one built under 1,000 loaded, unless it...

I built this little 4 x 8' for my sis using the techniques in my book.

It weighs 800 lbs unloaded. You can slip under 1,000 with a Bennie profile, but if you add planks to the sides who knows what it'll come in at? Weight really adds up during a teardrop build.

:thinking:

Tony

That’s real close to what I’m looking for. :thumbsup:

Is that built with 3/4” ply skeleton, foam board in voids, 1/4” BB interior and aluminum exterior? Any major deviations from the book build?

Quick seat of the pants calcs on cedar siding @ 1/4” thick would be 25-30 lbs for side walls, excluding any treatments or finishes, like epoxy/fiberglass or other finish.
Front and rear including roof covering, if done in cedar strip style, would add another 30 lbs or so.
Total of about 60 lbs of wood to cover the exterior.
These wag numbers are based on cedars published weight per cubic foot of 22.23/cf (at roughly 8% moisture) and rough guess of square feet of coverage needed.
Subtract the weight of the aluminum that is not needed and it might not add too much if any.
Getting late, I will look up the weight of the aluminum tomorrow and see where it stands.

I got your book last Friday. Skimmed over it and now reading each chapter a bit more closely. Life’s been hectic lately, but I should be through it in the next week or so and with a better understanding of the methods you used.

By chance, are there plans available for that build? If not, I’m sure using your book as a guide I could put something together that will fit my needs. Thanks,

Wendell
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:23 am

Wendellnla wrote:
QueticoBill wrote:Just a thought, the Chesapeake Light Craft teardrop is I think we'll under 1000 pounds. Might fit. Fritz here built one. http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/recr ... ailer.html

Wendell

Having seen and been in one, they are quite comfortable. And attractive. Best for 1, but I feel that way about a 4x8 - not great for 2 for long periods of time.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby TimC » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:50 am

Wendellnla wrote:Tim C,
Has anyone built a couple conventional Benroy that grossed out under 1,000 lbs?

Wendell

I'm sure it can be done if you pay attention to material choices, choose a light version of a trailer chassis and keep the bells and whistles to a minimum. Even if you don't choose foam construction.

I was interested in the Road Toad by CampInn which comes in at under 500 lbs. Unfortunately it has a more than 12 month lead time so I'm thinking about building my own.

For my Woodie I did not pay much attention to weight as I built it. I loaded it with camping gear and mattress and SLA batteries (72 aHr) and I scaled it at a local commercial scale and it came in at 1250 lbs. That's with a custom trailer chassis that was built like a tank with a beefy axle and 13" wheels and steel, 1/8" wall tubing framing. I didn't weigh the chassis by itself but I can guess it weighed close to twice the weight of a Northern Tool 5x8 flatbed bolt together. I've used the NT trailer for the next two teardrops and have been very happy with the strength. I wouldn't build heavy like the first one again as it cost me over $1400 without brakes. Since that weigh in I've added electric brakes and 200 watts of solar panels (standard frame, not flex) and another 72 aHr of SLA batteries along with the normal added accessories that we all throw in after our first camping experience.

If you are building a basic 4'x8' teardrop shell with a space to sleep and a basic galley you shouldn't have any trouble getting it under 1000 lbs even if built in a traditional wood framed design. Foam may get you a couple hundred pound lighter. When you start adding those accessories you will drive up the weight quickly.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:22 am

By chance, are there plans available for that build?

Nope. But I built it with the same methods I wrote about in my book–-with the exception that the exterior sheathing is 1/8" Baltic birch, not the 1/4" I use in the book.

You'll find that .040 aluminum adds a lot of weight.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wendellnla » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:41 am

QueticoBill wrote:
Wendellnla wrote:

Wendell

Having seen and been in one, they are quite comfortable. And attractive. Best for 1, but I feel that way about a 4x8 - not great for 2 for long periods of time.

I like the concept. Several ways to get it built. Take the class, 2 weeks later, your driving home with it. Or , buy whatever level parts kit that suits and build at home. Nice marine grade ply cut and ready to assemble. Not a bad way to go for some.
Wendellnla
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Traditional Designs