Aluminum Chassis

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Aluminum Chassis

Postby Prem » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:51 am

Check out this chassis:

http://tinyurl.com/alumchassis

That's a lot of weight savings over an all steel, 2" square tubing chassis!

:coffee:
Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:15 pm

...nice looking frame...however, it is listed at 350#, about what my all steel frame weighs(my 5x9x14 Vs their 6x10x14)...not much of a weight savings there..also the 2200# rated axle is a bit of overkill for most tears unless you are planning to build a heavyweight...............
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:07 pm

madjack wrote:...nice looking frame...however, it is listed at 350#, about what my all steel frame weighs(my 5x9x14 Vs their 6x10x14)...not much of a weight savings there..also the 2200# rated axle is a bit of overkill for most tears unless you are planning to build a heavyweight...............
madjack 8)

Geez,

I was going to say the same thing..... Of course there is always the "coolness factor" to consider :lol:
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:37 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:
madjack wrote:...nice looking frame...however, it is listed at 350#, about what my all steel frame weighs(my 5x9x14 Vs their 6x10x14)...not much of a weight savings there..also the 2200# rated axle is a bit of overkill for most tears unless you are planning to build a heavyweight...............
madjack 8)

Geez,

I was going to say the same thing..... Of course there is always the "coolness factor" to consider :lol:

...TRULY great mind...doanchano :D ...as far as "coolness factor" goes, I am assuming you are talking about the two of us... ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Aluminum v. Steel

Postby Prem » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:48 am

Dear Cool Guys,

:noyes:

Yeah, it's the same with wheels. Until you get up to 16+" wheels, there's little weight savings between aluminum and steel. However, an aluminum chassis doesn't rust and need paint. That's cool. And it sounds like your aluminum-weight, steel teardrop chassis aren't made of thick wall, steel square tube. My ex-teardrop had a 4" channel steel chassis and a steel plate floor all the way back...and a 7,000 pound axle with seven leaf springs, brake drums and jumbo shocks. (I kid you not.) It weighed 1,800 pounds empty...12 feet long. :thumbdown:

After I quit drinking Pepsi and lost all that weight, I didn't need it any more. ;)

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:28 pm

...nothing wrong with aluminum...it is cool and as you say...paint free...I have been using 1x2x3/16th "C" channel for the frame and 2x3/16 tube for the tongue...along with 15" steel wheels...I have never weighed it BUT, without the wheels 2 people can pick it up fairly easily...with wheels it's a hernia maker for 2...............
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Prem » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:49 pm

...I have been using 1x2x3/16th "C" channel for the frame...

MJ,

Same here. My new build has three runs of it (one down the center), all coming into the 3" channel hitch. All I have to do now is figure out exactly how I'm going to build the duck tail shape on the rear. :designing:

Prem
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Return to Traditional Designs