Formica

This includes traditional teardrop shapes and styles

Formica

Postby Ewledoux » Tue May 17, 2011 9:08 pm

Anyone used Formica for the skin and or roof?
Ewledoux
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Tue May 17, 2011 9:30 pm

...it has been used successfully by a few, there is even a small manufacturer in the PNW who uses it...HOWEVER, the it must be garage kept when not in use since it does not play well with excessive UV rays...for my money it is an "iffy" proposition...but that is just me........................
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ewledoux » Wed May 18, 2011 7:52 am

That's what I've read also. I can get the 5x12 sheets for 87.50. My other choice would be to paint? Do you think for that price it is a good idea or should I check into other options?
Ewledoux
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Wed May 18, 2011 8:27 am

...like I said, for me, using formica or PLAM is iffy at best...for the price you have quoted(or near toit) I can get aluminum sheet, which would be my choice over the laminate...my second choice would be epoxy and paint over wood...the choice(and responsibility) is yours, that is the great thing about building your own................
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ewledoux » Wed May 18, 2011 8:39 am

aluminumn would be my first choice, but I had no idea I could get it for even close to that price. I will be looking around here next week then.
Ewledoux
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Wed May 18, 2011 7:28 pm

Eric, there is a HUGE price diff in the cost aluminum depending on the source, so do a lotta lookin'...metal suppliers, sign shops, 18wheeler trailer repair shops are just a few of the place to start looking(avoid RV suppliers like the plague)...the last AL I bought 4yrs ago was 4x10x.032 and was 65bux a sheet from an Al supplier to the off shore oil industry...good luck on your search.........
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Ewledoux » Fri May 20, 2011 2:46 am

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. With the style of the trailer and my access to the Formica I think I will use it on this one. We will be starting a small tear drop 4.5X9 soon and will use the sheets of aluminum.
Ewledoux
Teardrop Inspector

Hello

Postby Sweet63 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:29 am

How would I place alum sheets to the side of my teardrop trailer.
I am new to this site and I'm really wanting to know the how to's and not to do's about building these type of trailers. I have a 57 Vw bug for my tow vehicle and wanting the lightest trailer to tow behind my bug. :thinking:
Sweet63
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:22 am

Formica is not real forgiving when it comes to shock. Any sudden impact and it will shatter. It also doesn't like to bend in a real tight radius.

In the last two weekends I have faced out my chuck wagon with frp panel and I really love working with this stuff. These are the pebbel grained plastic bathroom panels you see in almost all commercial restrooms. I got lucky and purchased 8 sheets of 4x9 off of Craigslist with a dozen edge and joining strips for $125.00 last fall.

The panels saw well with a fine toothed circular saw or jig saw. I routered the overhangs with a flush cutting bit and a guide on my router. I even free formed curves and rough cut ends with a 4" grinder with the standard grinding disc. It is great stuff available in 4x8 and 4x9 sheets. You can purchase end trim or joining splices in color to match. You can even use a hole saw and goof up if you don't plan well when installing your power port.

OOPS ! Image

here are a couple other pics of work in progress

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Wimperdink » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:46 am

Bob just out of curiosity keep us updated on how this stuff turns out after a couple of years in the sunshine. I've looked this stuff over and considered it for a few things myself but I'm a little scared of what heat/cold and uv rays will do to this stuff as its meant for the inside of a house. I'm also wondering if it oil cans in the heat.

I'd like to see what its longevity is like, being used outside.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Here's a nice teardrop built by Ed Ester of Burien WA that has Cherry grained Wilsonart plam on it, it's a few years old.
John stores it in his garage along with the wagon and it looks as nice as day one.
I wouldn't recommend plam on the roof. :no:
Ed uses stainless steel sheets on his roofs and lap joints the sheets.
I prefer and use one continuous .050 aluminum sheet over the roof section and lap joint the last two feet behind the tongue box.
It's easier to handle a 10' vs a 12' sheet while transporting and laying on the roof.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Ewledoux » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Thanks, Bob and Danny. I'm about ready here to go to it, hopeing for mid July finish. I'm going with a white, :roll: I figure at least it can't fade to much. I will keep it garaged also.... I really like that Cherry......HMMMMMM????? :thinking: the little one we will build this winter.
Ewledoux
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Eric and Keri wrote:Thanks, Bob and Danny. I'm about ready here to go to it, hopeing for mid July finish. I'm going with a white, :roll: I figure at least it can't fade to much. I will keep it garaged also.... I really like that Cherry......HMMMMMM????? :thinking: the little one we will build this winter.

I've seen one of Ed's white plam ones and it looks good too. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Ewledoux » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:11 pm

Sweet :thumbsup:
Ewledoux
Teardrop Inspector

Postby caseydog » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Eddie used formica on his first Evac-A-Shack, because he could get it cheap, and he was used to working with it in his cabinet business.

It looked great, at first. I faded really badly over a few years. It does not like to be outside.

I used FRP on my roof, and have been very happy with it. I ordered a tan color from Home Depot. You put it down on your wood surface just like you would with Formica -- and it costs less.

I keep my TD in the garage, so I can't speak for the UV and weather resistance of FRP over a long time, but it works fine for the 20-30 days my TD is out in the elements during a typical year.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Traditional Designs