Florida Chapter Anastasia State Park Gathering 2006

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Postby cracker39 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:34 am

That I don't know. It wasn't said which trees they were in. If they are smart, they'll be outside the loop where they can escape better if we charge them with our BBQ forks.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:50 am

Really, Walter? You don't need one for surf fishing? I know you didn't need one for pier fishing, so that kind of makes sense.

The only license I ever had here was for fresh, so I guess that's still required, right?

And what's the deal with a potluck?Do they always have one, and does Woody coordinate this kind of thing or it just happens?

I promise to not make gefilte fish or chopped liver.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ira » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:57 am

cracker39 wrote:That I don't know. It wasn't said which trees they were in. If they are smart, they'll be outside the loop where they can escape better if we charge them with our BBQ forks.

My biggest regret is that I'm not closer to the swings.

WHEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:27 am

Ira, here's the saltwater license exemption that would apply surf or pier fishing.

Any resident fishing in saltwater from land or from a structure fixed to the land.

BTW, I didn't know you were a swinger.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Woody » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:28 am

Ira wrote:And what's the deal with a potluck?Do they always have one, and does Woody coordinate this kind of thing or it just happens?

I promise to not make gefilte fish or chopped liver.

Ira
The way it works is on Saturday night we have a potluck dinner. I haven't figured out the main course yet, although deep fried turkeys does sound appealing. You make a covered dish of whatever you would like wether it be a store bought platter or Grandmas secret recipe. DO cooking also could be used. Be creative dinner or desert or both. I haven't been to a gathering yet that the food wasn't absolutely great. Although the one flaw I have found is by the time I get there in line someone manages to finish off Ross's green bean cassorole. I need to get in the front of the line this time so I don't miss out this time. The main thing is that you obtain plenty of alcohol for therest of the weekend

As far as the Pirates go, we'll see if the are or make an appearance this time. Thank god I had plenty of alcohol in me or I could have been really freaked out. This year I am bringing them a bottle of Rum for them to enjoy as a peace offering of sorts
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby surveytech » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:33 pm

Ira wrote:I promise to not make gefilte fish or chopped liver.

Bet the gefilte fish will really be running that time of year!
Dont forget your surf rod.

And like Dale said.......you dont need a saltwater license if you fish from land or any structure attached to land.
Freshwater you do and of course its a different license.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:07 pm

I still don't get freshwater fishing. I mean I did it in the canals and ponds growing up but it was just to pass the time. I guess the stick marsh back home is a premier fishing spot now but if I go home I'll be out on the Indian River or at Sebastian Inlet.

One thing I like about salt water fishing is that you never know what you will catch. We have an annual fishing/camping trip out on the beach. The guys I go with have mostly fresh water experience. It's funny because they have to ask me what the heck they caught. One year we caught some blue crabs I had to teach them how to eat them.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby surveytech » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Stick Marsh will always be great I think due to the tight regs for that particular body of water. And Toho should be real strong in the next year or two due to the drawdown in 2004.
But saltwater is always fun. So many species.......so little time.
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:03 pm

I grew up fishing mostly in fresh water, and I live in the center of the state with many lakes within 5 miles of the house, so that's what I do most of when I fish. I love bass and speck fishing. I do also enjoy salt water fishing and intend to be at Sebastion at least once this winter for the blues and flounder. Tampa bay is closer to me and I plan on taking the camper over to the sunshine skyway piers soon. While I was living in Maryland for 27 years, most of my fishing was salt water, especially surf fishing for the blues.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:13 am

The first time I went freshwater fishing as an adult was when I moved to Florida. I caught an alligator gar and it scared the hell out of me. I thought I caught the missing link.

I prefer saltwater too, because even if you catch a junk fish like a barricuda, it's fun.

I happen to have a surf rod in decent condition, not a REAL long one but long enough. What test should I put on there? Might as well service the reel and replace the line that's on there. Also, what kind of weights should I have on hand?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby surveytech » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:11 am

Ira wrote:
I happen to have a surf rod in decent condition, not a REAL long one but long enough. What test should I put on there? Might as well service the reel and replace the line that's on there. Also, what kind of weights should I have on hand?

Ira,
do the rod and the reel have a line and weight rating on them?
Usually some kinda little graphic that shows the capacities of each.
Would be a good place to start.

Walter
surveytech
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:15 am

Ira,

In my experience, you probably won't catch anything really big in the surf, so 15-20 lb test should enough for a surf rod, but, you never know when a large drum will turn up in the surf either. The lighter the line, the farther it will cast. I have four saltwater spinning reels that have either 15 or 20 lb test line on them. I use two of them on surf rods and two on shorter boat/pier rods. I find that spinners work better for me than casting reels...no backlashes or tangles.

For surf fishing, the pyramid sinkers work best as they resist being dragged along by the tide better than round ones which will roll. Unless there is a strong tide, I use 2-3 oz. sinkers, and almost never more than 4 oz. The 3 oz. sinker is heavy enough to get a good long cast to the deeper water. I have different size hooks which I put on my own steel leaders that I make up. If you buy hooks, get the ones already on steel leaders. Some fish, blues especially, have sharp teeth and will bite through a nylon leader.

I also use bottom "spreader" rigs that have two standoffs for attaching hook leaders, with the sinker on a snap swivel at the bottom. The only problem that I forsee is finding fresh cut bait (mullet or bunker). In Maryland, when blue fishing, I'd use a light rod and small hooks to catch small white perch or croakers to use for bait. I'd fish for them while waiting on a bite on the surf rods. I caught more fish with them than with the cut bait.

I'll be sure to check my tackle and restock on anything I may be low on. I like to have enough spare hooks, leaders, sinkers in case I loose any to a big ray or shark.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Ira » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:47 am

Thanks, guys.

There are probably places to buy tackle near the campgrounds, right? I'll go with 15 pound test, but it's been a long time since I practiced surf casting!

I used to know guys who really "snapped" the tip of the rod to get it out there, and although they also snapped their LINE half of the time, they REALLY got it out there for the other half.

And crap, I think a few months ago, I threw away two rodholders that stick in the sand. (But maybe not.)

Maybe I'll also pick up some frozen squid, for the hell of it.

Man, now I really want to go there ALONE. I didn't realize fishing could be such a big part of the weekend, and when I get lost in that, I can stay for HOURS.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby cracker39 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:10 pm

I don't "snap" it to get a long cast. I just lay the rod out behind me and swing it up, over and out, increasing the speed of the swing as it goes through the arc. The weight of the sinkers cause the rod to act like a catapult. Too much "snap" and you'll sling the bait right off the hook. I can usually get a lot of distance on a cast that way. I've never broken a rod tip casting, but I have snapped some lines when the bail closed too soon during the cast. That sounds like a rifle shot when it happens.

My wife won't be too happy with my leaving her alone to fish either. Maybe they can get together and chat.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:29 pm

Ira wrote:I prefer saltwater too, because even if you catch a junk fish like a barricuda, it's fun.

Talk about junk fish, we catch a lot of ladyfish. Even that is kinda fun because they'd flip and jump like a real sport fish. We'd also cut them up and use them for bait.

Ira wrote:Might as well service the reel and replace the line that's on there. Also, what kind of weights should I have on hand?

We'd wade out till it got about waist deep then cast out. Look for sinkers that have wire legs on them. I had a torpedo shaped one with stainless legs, when you brought it in, the legs would fold back making it easier to retrieve.

I was told not to use a braided line like Power Pro on a surf reel, don't really know why. I have it on my other rigs and I love it. One problem it has is that it tangles super easily. You'll have a bird's nest when you least expect it. I have 25lb on my surf rig.

Although I've never done it, another tip I've heard is to put duct tape or something on your finger. That way you can hold the line easier with your finger during casts especially with a spinning rig. When your hands get wet and soft, you'll appreciate the tape.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Southeast