Christmas in "Possum Land"

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Christmas in "Possum Land"

Postby gailkaitschuck » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:13 pm

We're thinking of taking the Possum Kingdom up to Brasstown, North Carolina New Years Eve to check out the celebrations in the town known as the "Possum Capitol of the South". Highlights include the Miss Possum content early in the evening followed by the "lowering of the possum" at midnight.

A huge turnout that equals double the normal Brasstown population (240 souls, 100 with a full set of teeth) is expected.

Vogel State Park (with a campground) is about 20 miles south of Brasstown.

Whoohee!!!

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby madjack » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:16 pm

...you need to decorate the "Possum Palace" and take it on a parade around town...they might even give ya the key to the city :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chip » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:12 pm

Gail, You and Bill might want to arm yaself,,, might be a few attack possums in them thar hills,,,,

Y'all have fun,, and take pictures,,,, I venture to say none of the people on this forum has ever been to the possum capital of the South, let alone spent new years eve thar,,, heck I didnt even know thar was a Brasstown, let alone it being the Possum Capital

:thinking: chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gailkaitschuck » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:56 pm

It's not even on a map; located between Murphy and Hayesville. Highlight "hot spots" in the area and you get...

1. The Murphy Public library

No wonder folks come out to see the lowering of the possum at midnight on New Years Eve. Sounds like the highlight of the year.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby madjack » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:47 pm

Gail, that sounds like on heck offa blast...put on your red-neck shoes , go packin' :o and do some get "down home" partyin'.... :D :lol: ;)
madjack 8)

p.s. all we got is a hog roast goin' on :cry: ;)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby critter » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:27 pm

hey all,
how bout airbrushing a big possum on that tear so you would sick out in the crowd? :roll:
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby RKH » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:39 am

I am shocked at some place calling itself the possum capital. I always thought that was Wausaw FL, where the annual possum festival -- in the fall -- has been held for at least the last 40 years.

Enjoy
~Keith
Support Our Troops

Our traveling blog is at http://www.Happy-Tracks.com
RKH
Teardrop Master

Postby gailkaitschuck » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:31 am

Hmm...perhaps possums are more popular than previously thought?

Unfortunately the Possum Festival at Wausau Florida is being held the same weekend as the North/South Teardrop Rally in Viriginia.

So many engagements...so little time.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby Bill H. » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:39 am

As tha official Ambasador of Possum Kingdom, SC. I am duty-bound ta object ta Brasstown callin itself tha Possum capitol of tha werld! Might havta gather up all O my possum Kingdom cuzins an go start a feud wit them city-slickerz.

We get more possum in a single trash can than they get in der whole town!

Toothless Willie
aka Bill H.
Bill H.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:44 am

TW, you have presented us with a heck of a visual for a first post :lol: :lol: :lol: welcome to the board...got any pics of them possums :lol: :lol: :lol: we do luv de pics, ya know......
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby RKH » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:18 pm

Thanks for the correction on the spelling....how quickly we forget.

Possum Festival -- Wausau, FL
~Keith
Support Our Troops

Our traveling blog is at http://www.Happy-Tracks.com
RKH
Teardrop Master

Postby gailkaitschuck » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:14 pm

As a kid, I lived near Wausau Wisconsin; I remember the spelling.

They didn't have possums though. Just really cold winters!!

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Postby Bill H. » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:50 pm

As head road agent fer tha Road Kill Cannery Company in da heart of beautiful downtown Possum Kingdom, I ain't to sure ya'll wanna see no pictures of any of tha possum I run across! (Twicet mosta da time)

Toothless Willie
Bill H.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Jiminsav » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:58 pm

down town possum kingdom
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby gailkaitschuck » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:27 pm

The New Years Eve Possum Drop in Brasstown was great! 1500-2000 folks showed up, all standing around in front of Clays Corner, (a local gas station and small grocery store) listening to country music, eating funnel cakes and drinking hot chocolate.

The evening started with music, went on to gun volleys by the Possum Brigade, moved on to the possum procession where the possum of the evening was brought on stage in a plexiglass cage by the reigning 100+ year old Possum Queen (who managed to kick her...oops, his heels a bit to the music before being carried shaking out on her possum throne). This was followed by judging of the 2006 Miss Possum contest (six men), and then the Brasstown choir came on stage to sing religious and christmas songs.

Finally, at midnight, the plexiglass cage containing the possum was slowly lowered from the top of the Citgo sign (announcing the new year) and a very impressive fireworks display finished the evening.

It was great!! We were able to purchase more possum goodies for The Possum Kingdom.

Gail
Teardrop Momma
gailkaitschuck
*Pasta Mama

Next

Return to Southeast