Bahia Honda SP

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Bahia Honda SP

Postby tsyj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:27 pm

After more than a year of waiting, we managed to get a week booked at Bahia Honda State Park in the Keys this September.
Anyone ever been and have any tips or pointers? We got a tent site that allows trailers up to 10' in length, so we will be ok.
Going to bring kayaks and her paddle board, and a screen room for the sand gnats. Other than that, what would you bring?
I heard the seaweed is bad on the beach, so I'm going to bring a rake to be able to clear off a spot if needed.

tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Re: Bahia Honda SP

Postby swoody126 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:04 pm

when i got to KeyWest and tried to stake out my tent my stakes wouldn't penetrate the coral :shock:

got some HD galvanized bridge spikes from the camp office along w/ a BFH which worked well enough

otherwise having some buckets filled w/ water might do to secure the screen room

that coral was a first for me

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby tsyj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Good idea. I bought a dozen sand bags off Amazon at one time for something, I think I'll take them with us for our screen room setup.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jdw2717 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:36 pm

We went last spring. We couldn't get in at Bahia Honda so we stayed at the KOA on Sugarloaf Key. It had a nice bath house, laundry, water and electric hookups, bar, restaurant and a small fishing supply shop. It also had a small beach, boat rental and a kayak launching point.

The state park is nice and you can snorkel right from the beach. It was a little windy when we kayaked there and they have a nice parking area and kayak launch area so if you can get a relatively calm day it will be really nice. We kayaked from the KOA at night after returning from the park and it was really nice with low wind. The beach was covered with a 12" tall x 24" wide sea grass mound at the waterline and behind that was a coral surface that was hard, so I recommend chairs. If you are lucky you can find the few sandy spots but they get taken up pretty quick.

John Pennekamp has a nice kayaking trail that I really recommend. We also did the snorkeling trip from there but when we go back we plan on doing the trip from Bahia Honda. I think they were both $35 plus rental of gear. Heck we may do both. :lol:

One thing that was crazy was when we were setting up our screen room we had 6 iguanas come up to us (at one time) looking for handouts like raccoons. We ran them off but be aware that they seam like the local scavengers. One was really cool and over 4 feet long.
"Twenty years form now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines... Explore. Dream. Discover" Mark Twain

John & Tatanya
Jdw2717
Teardrop Master

Return to Southeast