Good parks for camping in Florida in the winter

Camping in the Southeast, including North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Missippi & Alabama, also Southern Appalachian, Georgia, Florida, and Magnolia (Mississippi) Chapters of Tearjerkers

Good parks for camping in Florida in the winter

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Hi folks,

We are thinking of going to FL in Jan or Feb next year. I would like to hear recommendations for places to stay with the trailer (I should be done by then, knock on wood<g>) We like to hike, love swimming and kayaking.
Being eaten by alligators not so much. Ditto copperheads, water moccasins etc.

Those details aside, what has worked for you and what would you recommend?

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby Arne » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:30 pm

I stayed in Wakeva Springs state park near Orlando, very nice.... secluded and you can swim in the springs... Also stayed at Manatee Springs, further north on the gulf coast... also nice.... You should be able to do a search to find out which state campgrounds have springs (which form streams and/or rivers)...

Next Feb, if we go down again, we will aim for state parks with springs....

The keys are very expensive to camp on, and to get late reservations on.... the furthest south we went was Sarasota...

Also, if you go down, the Little Talbot t'drop gathering was in FEb....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: Good parks for camping in Florida in the winter

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:10 pm

kayakrguy wrote:Hi folks,

We are thinking of going to FL in Jan or Feb next year. I would like to hear recommendations for places to stay with the trailer (I should be done by then, knock on wood<g>) We like to hike, love swimming and kayaking.
Being eaten by alligators not so much. Ditto copperheads, water moccasins etc.

Those details aside, what has worked for you and what would you recommend?

Jim

Winter camping in Florida? Cold that time of year in North Florida, but the springs stay a nice 72* year round. Ginnie Springs is a nice place to winter camp. The river there is really nice to paddle up and float back down too here's a link http://www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com/

South Florida there are places you can find to camp that are off the track of the snow birds that come in flocks in their RV's and stay all winter. Some are pretty cool. Here's one down by Bonita Springs on Estero Bay that is nice and has some interesting history. Also lots to do close by. Link ---> http://www.floridastateparks.org/esteroBay/default.cfm
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby surveytech » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:17 pm

Alexander Springs is in the National forest and is very pretty. It's not built up along the creek, fishing is usually pretty good and not very crowded.

There is a nice campground there but if you need hook ups then look elsewhere. I dont think there are any in the campground. I never stayed there but have made numerous day trips there with my kayaks to fish.
very quiet......my speed.

good luck!
surveytech
Donating Member

Return to Southeast