Aero-1, the build....

Anything to do with mechanical, construction etc

Aero-1, the build....

Postby Arne » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:13 pm

I started the build 1.5 months late, due to cold weather, and a few other misc. things... I'm going to put the pics on a freewebs site, as it is easier to put them there, and won't clog up this forum as much.

The design is pretty basic, with a few twists. I started with an 1800# h/f trailer and did a major reconfiguration. I'll post under this topic when I've added any more pics to the site....

For now, there is only one picture with a bit of description... It will probably be slower than I want, but though I have the major design done on paper, some of the front work will be tricky. The trailer will be queen-sized, with 1.5" insul all around and 123" long.... anyway, for now:

http://www.freewebs.com/aero-1
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby SmokeyBob » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:54 pm

Arne
Congratulations on starting your build. Keep us updated :thumbsup:
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Classic Finn » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:01 pm

Arne congratulations .. :thumbsup: :applause: :applause: Its a nice feeling to finally get a start...

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:26 am

Cool, now we have another build to follow.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:48 pm

I spent yesterday buy lumber, including 10 sheets of 4x8x1/8".... and a lot of 2x3's...

I posted another picture on the aero website. It is not of the trailer, but of a board I put together to make cutting with the skill saw easier..

I attached a 1x4x8 to a piece of plywood, then cut off the excess plywood using each side of the skil saw. I now have a board I can just lay on my marks, and make straight cuts with no extra measuring......

Floor assembly will start within the next two days. More pictures to come.

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:56 pm

The axle on Aero-1 had been widened, but will not be installed until near the end of the build. The axle was pretty simple since it is about 1-5/8" in diameter, and I had some square tubing with almost identical inside dimension... so, cut the axle and had to grind the a tiny bit off for a nice snug fit for the axle halfs into the tubing.. then welded it...paint and done.

I've started the floor pan today and will probably finish it tomorrow.. A couple more cross members and the bottom skin and I'll be able to flip it right side up.. The bottom will be cpes'ed for tension strength, then coated with roofing tar, so I guess it will be about a week before I can get it right side up.

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:17 pm

That cutting board is GENIUS!!!
I've been setting up a board using clamps. Your jig is so- much better!! :applause: :applause:
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Steve, thank you... actually, can not take credit.. got the idea from This Old House... but after doing exactly what you describe, with offsets from straight edges, decided to build on this time... and, it works as good as it sounds.. put down a couple of marks, clamp it down, cut and done...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby WarPony » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:32 pm

Arne wrote:I posted another picture on the aero website. It is not of the trailer, but of a board I put together to make cutting with the skill saw easier..

Dude, that is the best idea I've seen in a long time!! I'm making one of those for my 3rd build. Too late for my 2nd........ :x !!

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Mary K » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:44 pm

Arny, that Cutting Board is the BOMB!!!

I could have used that in my build. I spent a poop load of time setting up a straight edge 1 1/4" + or 1 3/16" for the skill saw on every cut. Back and forth measuring twice both sides and again just to make sure....that would have been huge a time saver.

Man you tore up that trailer!!! :thumbsup: In a good way though. That will save you some weight.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Mary K
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Arne » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:58 pm

When I built the cutting board, I thought it would get minimal (but valuable) usage.. Then, I started cutting the panels to cover the bottom of the floor... and used it quite a bit, including cutting the foam.. it has become my favorite straight edge..

I am working harder than I had expected to.. since the walls will curve in at the front.. the fun will begin in a couple of days (I only have a rudimentary idea of how I will do that)... Think I'll take a couple of days off. My back is starting to scream at me.

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:56 pm

Arne,

Nice cutting board. Does this look familar... (I do the same thing with the router)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby seahorse » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:23 pm

Ditto on the board.....A 4 footer would come in handy also. Thanks for the great idea.........Every builder has something unique, keeps it interesting. Great job on the build so far. :thumbsup:
seahorse
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue May 01, 2007 4:58 pm

Well, finished off covering the bottom yesterday. Waited for the glue to dry overnight and cut the front curves in this afternoon... went to home depot, and got some Henry's roof coating, and went crazy...

Just a side note... using the frame as the work table really fit the bill... very sturdy... after floor dries and I flip it, will lower it to milk crate height and continue building walls.

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Arne » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:21 pm

The floor has been flipped. I painted the top with 2 coats of kilz.. on the first coat I sprayed a light coat of florescent green paint (so I could see what I hit with the second coat...)

Tomorrow, I start the left wall.. I don't have it all planned out, but I'm hoping it will come together.. it damn well better, or I'm in deep doo-doo..

I've updated http://www.freewebs.com/aero-1 with this pic and a bit more explanation...

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to Teardrop Construction Tips & Techniques