Another HF Bearing and Grease Seal Saga

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Another HF Bearing and Grease Seal Saga

Postby Toytaco2 » Tue May 26, 2009 3:26 pm

Many of us on the forum have built our TD’s on the HF trailer platform and there seems to be a lot of confusion and frustration concerning what replacement grease seals and bearings should be used. Most of the posts seem to include something about the difficulty of finding the grease seals in particular followed by a general trashing of the Chinese built trailers (although one of our members seems to have no problems finding them even in a farm store). I recently completed my build and was finishing up by performing the obligatory repacking of the bearings. My inexperience resulted in ruining one of the grease seals and a bearing. What followed was a typical story of frustration and dead ends as I tried to find grease seals and correct bearings. I intentionally waited until all the parts were secured, the job completed and spare parts safely added to my trailer tool box to make this post and hopefully let all the HF trailer owners know what I learned.

Mine is the HF Model 94564 (4x8) 1,740 lb. Capacity trailer with 5 bolt 12inch wheels/tires. The following applies to my trailer only, but I'm pretty sure it will be common to other 4x8 HF trailers. But, be warned: you need to check you own trailer to be sure.

GREASE SEALS: My trailer uses a metric size 30 - 52 – 10 seal. I could not find the grease seals immediately available in Oklahoma City. They had to be ordered and I found the following were available:

HF Part #42708/42709 at a cost of $1.00 each. I also found the following identical seals available: Red Trailers Part #SJ8510-18B which were exactly the same seal as the HF but at a cost of 5.20 each.

I also discovered there is a company in Oklahoma City that specializes in nothing but seals (SEALCO). I didn’t know there was such a thing as a “seal company”. They had available an SKF Grease Seal #692373 (size 30 - 52 – 10). That seal cost $5.00 and UPS shipping was another $8. BTW this seal was also available in a "hi temp" version for $24.50 if anyone is interested.

BEARINGS: My trailer used a bearing part #30205. I found those available at a local auto parts store for $19.99 each. I also found HF had spares available ($5.95 each) but were out of stock and expected more in “about 20 days”. The part number 30205 is also listed on several web sites as the replacement number for an earlier bearing part #7205E.

Other info: Red Trailers has a kit available: “25mm Trailer Wheel Bearing Kit – 30205” which includes 2 bearings/races #30205, 1 grease seal #SJ8510-18B, 1 dust cap #SJ8510-21, and 1 cotter pin for $18.95 plus shipping on Ebay which also fit the trailer. Here's the link:

http://tinyurl.com/o56s5x

So here is what I did: Since my trailer was on jack stands and I was in a hurry, I purchased two of the 30205 bearings at my local auto parts store and the SKF grease seal from SEALCO and had the trailer ready to go within 4 days. I also ordered 2 of the kits from Red Trailers to have as spares in the tool box. I then ordered 10 of the HF Seals at a buck each to use in the future. That gives me a dozen of those hard to find dudes.

One last note, I will never again try to knock one of these seals out from the inside of the hub in order to salvage the seal for reuse. In so doing, I ruined both the original seal and the bearing. No, I have plenty of spares and will simply pry them out the back side. I noted one post where the writer was concerned about the rubber/plastic construction of the HF seals so I decided to cut up the old one to see how it was made. I found it to be pretty robust with a steel ring imbeded in the rubber coating. They were actually pretty tough and seemed to be well made. They were harder to get out of the hub than you might expect from looking at them.

My final advice to all HF owners would be to find your spares now and don’t wait until you need them. The grease seals from HF at a buck apiece are cheap. Buy plenty and have them on hand each time you repack the bearings. Personally I will never try to salvage one again. Its best to learn to do this entire job including installing new races in your hubs in your garage at home not broken down on the highway somewhere. Then when the emergency occurs you’ll be prepared.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby satch » Tue May 26, 2009 4:12 pm

Just a side note to Mike's, I'ved removed my HF inner bearing and seal with a 1 1/4" dowel stick. Just put the hub on a plastic container and pop it out with the dowel and hammer. Done this twice already and no damage to the seal, but it's always a good idea to have extras.
Thanks for the info Mike, I needed to get some spares too!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Postby Toytaco2 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 pm

Rick, I know that method should usually work, and it is exactly the method I was using to remove my inner bearing and seal. It worked perfectly on the first one, but not so well on the second. After several blows with the hammer, it finally came loose but the little spring running around the lip of the seal was damaged in a couple of places and the rubber lip itself was deformed. Also, when the bearing came out it looked like this (after I cleaned all the grease off):

I managed to put the all the pieces back and snap it together, but it all popped loose again when I tried to turn the bearing.

Some of you guys just seem to have the right touch when something is supposed to work a certain way. Unfortunately, I sometimes have the uncanny ability to wreck an iron ball.

Mike
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 pm

Did you clean and lube the bearing as soon as you assembled the trailer ?
The cosmaline crap they are packed in is not grease and high temps will do very strange things to not only rubber but the bearins too.!
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue May 26, 2009 6:26 pm

:oops:
Last edited by bobhenry on Wed May 27, 2009 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby satch » Tue May 26, 2009 7:27 pm

Toytaco2 wrote:Rick, I know that method should usually work, and it is exactly the method I was using to remove my inner bearing and seal. It worked perfectly on the first one, but not so well on the second. After several blows with the hammer, it finally came loose but the little spring running around the lip of the seal was damaged in a couple of places and the rubber lip itself was deformed. Also, when the bearing came out it looked like this (after I cleaned all the grease off):

I managed to put the all the pieces back and snap it together, but it all popped loose again when I tried to turn the bearing.

Some of you guys just seem to have the right touch when something is supposed to work a certain way. Unfortunately, I sometimes have the uncanny ability to wreck an iron ball.

Mike

Wow, I guess I've been lucky so far, I'll keep that pic in my head next time I whip out the hammer!
If it itches. scratch it
Rick
satch
Donating Member

Re: Another HF Bearing and Grease Seal Saga

Postby Endo » Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm

Toytaco2 wrote:
HF Part #42708/42709 at a cost of $1.00 each.

Mike

Mike did you order the Harbor Freight seal on the HF website?? Do you have a link to the page?

I tried the numbers you listed but it was not a seal.

Thanks
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Re: Another HF Bearing and Grease Seal Saga

Postby Endo » Tue May 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Toytaco2 wrote:
HF Part #42708/42709 at a cost of $1.00 each.

Mike

Mike did you order the Harbor Freight seal on the HF website?? Do you have a link to the page?

I tried the numbers you listed but it was not a seal.

Thanks
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby Toytaco2 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:08 pm

Brad,

On the HF web site look in the left column and click "Customer Service" then scroll down to "Parts". There is telephone number listed for credit card orders (800)444-3353. I called that number and told them I wanted grease seals to fit my trailer and gave the model number, etc. They took my information and told me it would be 10-14 business days till delivery. The confirmation email they sent me listed them as "42708/42709 GREASE SEAL".

I just checked the shipping documents and it shows the description as : "42708/42709 GREASE SEAL" with an item #27737, so I guess that could be the real item number. However, that item # turns up nothing on the HF web site either. I think you might just have to call customer service & order by phone.

They shipped them via "HFT Shipping" which was kinda unusual. You could track the order on HF's web site. They sent it out FedEx but sometime in transit, the order was transferred to USPS (I think in Dallas). Then the Postal Service actually delivered the package.
Toytaco2
500 Club

Postby Endo » Wed May 27, 2009 6:41 am

Thank you!

I will give them a call.
Brad (aka Endo)
ImageImage Image
In God We Trust
Endo
500 Club

Postby wannabefree » Wed May 27, 2009 11:06 pm

Wow. I guess I better get my spares on order now. One thing I have learned with HF is to not put too much trust in anything with moving parts.

BTW - Here's how I remove inner bearings and grease seals. Maybe it's a no-no, but it has worked for me as long as I've been packing bearings, which is a little while.

Pull off the hub and remove the outer bearing. Find a deep socket that loosely fits the hole in the hub. Stick it in there and give it a moderate whack with a hammer. Out the other end comes the seal (intact) and bearing (intact). End of story. It helps to put some newspaper under the hub for the bearing to fall on.
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Same church different pew

Postby Pdbeta » Thu May 28, 2009 9:39 am

Along the same lines (spare bearings and seals)and the mishandling there of?
I had a slightly different problem, with a totally different axel, but the message is the same.
By simply getting the maintainence schedule confused with another trailer we own, I blew the inboard bearing grease seals out of our torsion axel. Basic but stupid mistake.
I found out about our problem about 3ooo miles from home?
The point,
we now carry two complete sets of seals, bearings, caps and cotter pins.
Gramps used to call that "Insurance".
P
Pdbeta
Teardrop Master

Postby del » Thu May 28, 2009 11:43 am

Here is an idea buy an extra hub, load it with bearings, and a seal than store it in the tear (a creative storage idea is mount the spare on it). I would think easier to install on the side of the highway in the rain (snow-100f+).

To remove the seal and inner bearing, first remove the castle nut, washer, and outer bearing. Then reinstall the nut only. Pulling straight pop the hub out leaving this (the trailer is secure on safety stands right?).

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby wannabefree » Thu May 28, 2009 10:33 pm

Ooh, yeah, Del. That'w how you do it when you can't find the right socket or a hammer :lol:

Seriously, I like the spare hub concept. Who wants to change bearings on the side of a highway?
In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
wannabefree
The 300 Club

Postby looped » Fri May 29, 2009 6:35 am

I know this question involves taking something relatively simple and making it harder than it needs to be but heck for the sake of conversation i would like to know..

I noticed northern tool over here sells axles and stuff there in the store. What about buying the HF kit and putting the NT axle et al on there right off the bat? I have seen a few posts on here about various problems that crop up with HF bearings and hubs and overall workmanship, would the NT substitution be a viable idea or is it the same turd with a different name?
"face it man. It's just not possible to fry an egg with a bicycle powered hairdryer!"
- Dave Lister
looped
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets