Coop in Seattle area?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Coop in Seattle area?

Postby CheshyreKatt » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:15 pm

:thinking:

Anyone care to perhaps create a "coop" of folk that get together to help each other build? I'm months if not a year or two away from being able to build my own....but I'm not sure I can wait to start building. Think of it as a training session for those who want to build but fear their skills or don't fully understand all the aspects (welding anyone?).

Just an interesting thought.
-CK

Truth is not what you seek....it is what you find. What you find...is not what you were looking for.
CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bledsoe3 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:11 pm

That's a great idea! You might find people with different skills to complement each other. Too bad I'm in Portland. :(
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby dahoon » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:47 pm

I'm game. What are some of your ideas.

I'm in Mt Vernon. I got a camp trailer and am just about done with the disassembly. Then I can start the build process.

Maybe AmyH would like to join in also?

Mike
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby CheshyreKatt » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:27 am

Some of us have skills with wood, some with metal, some with electricity. Not many of us have all of those skills. This would be a great way to help pick up the bits of knowledge necessary to build well.

I, for example, want to build my own...perhaps one of Andrew's 2+2 or Midget plans...but I'm daunted by the chassis and electrical. Having the opportunity to work with someone who has knowledge in a hands on way makes it so much better. Know what I mean?

Basically, of course, this is a way to network as well. Better understand local resources, sharing techniques, and building a local community of builders.

Ultimately, I have the fantasy of starting a manufacturing biz to sell custom made tears and trailers to folks who want them. It is as much about the building of them as anything for me. My skills are rusty and I want to get them sharp again.
-CK

Truth is not what you seek....it is what you find. What you find...is not what you were looking for.
CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby AmyH » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:29 am

I will definitely join in!! I have a pretty good set of tools, and a nice new mig welder that I have yet to set up. I would love to share ideas with fellow builders in the Seattle area.

Amy :thumbsup:
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Others?

Postby CheshyreKatt » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Anyone else in the Puget Sound area (doesn't just have to be Seattle)?

On my list of to do's is to get some workshops under my belt in general woodworking and cabinet making. New City Arts (Queen Anne) has weekend workshops on a variety of woodworking topics (I'm rusty since apartment living doesn't afford the luxury of a place for REAL tools).

This idea is part of that goal....to get my skills honed.
-CK

CheshyreKatt
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dahoon » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:54 am

Here's my resume and where I am on my build.

Spent a few months, during my formative years, in a sheet metal shop, until I hurt my hand.

So far I have built one utility trailer from scratch and rebuilt an old boat trailer into a tilt trailer for my golf cart.

I have done some odds and end wood projects. From a 19' bookcase to three different pulit / podiums and other misc. pieces.

I have been in the automotive industry for 25 years so wiring and chassis stuff is no problem.

Currently, I am in the process of dismantling a 1969 22' Kenskill camp trailer. I will take the rear axle (it has tandem axles) and put it under the tilt trailer. It's axle has rotted away and in my move back to the wetside of the state it broke.
Then, I am going to lop off 8' off the tail of the trailer and approx. 2' out of the middle to shorten the frame.
The pieces that I cut off will be used for a step well.

So, very little of the donor trailer will be left. And, practically all of it will be recycled. :thumbsup:
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:35 pm

Mike, sounds like you have a ton of information to share! I know how to wire a house, but I have had no experience working with 12v systems. I was a sculpture major in undergraduate school, so I have done quite a bit with wood. I haven't done a lot of cabinet work, but I have built a small desk and some other stuff. I have a pretty good shop set-up, even though it is a small one-car garage space. I have also taken welding classes, and I just bought a really nice mig welder that I need to wire up. I started my chassis already, but other home remodeling stuff has been getting in the way of finishing it up. I have been busy painting a new front door down in the garage, so I can't do anything in there until the door is finished. I have also been fluctuating pretty wildly about design changes on the tear, but I pretty much have it all worked out now. I am anxious to get the shop cleaned up, so I can get back to working on it.

CK- checked out your website, very very interesting stuff. I would love to chat with you more about teardrop building and sustainable living. I am very interested in a lot of the things you mention on your site. I would love to see this coop get off the ground, it really is a great idea.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby gman » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:47 pm

I am at mp 63 of I-5, kind of far south, but I will begin building in the fall, the house remodel comes first, including the new roof, but once it starts raining.... maybe a coop on ordering materials to save on shipping?
Junk is something you've kept for years
And throw away three weeks before you need it.
gman
The 300 Club

Postby dahoon » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:34 am

Looks like we can have another join our little corner of the world. Tinytears is on board.

I'll point her this way and we can get something going.

So far I have flattened my trailer and will be headed to the recyclers with the skin. Then I can get started on the frame. Cutting and sizing, the sandblasting and painting. Then we can get to the wood part.

Mike,

in Mt Vernon
dahoon
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:56 am

Yes, count me in. I don't have experience but I can bring enthusiasm and if you need your violin bow rehaired, I'm your gal.

Maybe monthly meetings someplace? Like each other's driveways and garages?

Postby gman » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:33 pm

So do we need a name. Like Freeway flyers, Porteatles, I-5 travelers? Or????
gman
The 300 Club

Postby pgwilli » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:31 pm

Hi gang,
I haven't joined in the discussion yet because I was too impatient to build my own teardrop so I went out and bought one. I did, however, buy one with a very basic galley with the idea of a remodel when we figured out what we wanted, so maybe I do have an interest in joining “the coop” (kinda sounds like rei in the ‘60s).
I used to work as a first machinist in a small to medium furniture factory in Kent before I started designing airplanes 20 years ago.
I don't have a shop or machinery to offer, but I do have a finished tear you are welcome to check out to see how a small, quality manufacturer (Hunter in Idaho) does it.
We can’t tear it apart to see how its built tho’. ;)
I'm in Marysville.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby pgwilli » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:46 pm

By the way, Mt Vernon and Shoreline are pretty close, but gman i'm up at mp199.
That being said, I'd be happy to host the kick off meeting at my house.
Send me a note with your thoughts regarding the best time and we can set something up.
Paul, Norma & the Girls
2014 Escape 21
2006 Chevy Trailblazer
pgwilli
Lifetime member

Postby gman » Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:49 pm

So are there any beaches with sand and place to pitch a tent around Marysville? Only been in Wash a year, and not sure where to go, but a camp trip with sand will get my wife to go, the tent is too big to pitch dailey so we try for two at a time.
gman
The 300 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion