DIY 60 watt Folding Solar Panel

Anything electric, AC or DC

DIY 60 watt Folding Solar Panel

Postby bdosborn » Fri May 06, 2011 1:24 pm

A while back I bought a 30 watt PV panel to run the refrigerooler. As part of my solar addiction I bought another 30 watt panel and made a folding 60 watt panel. Here it is unfolded and in the sun, I definitely like the lower profile of this one versus our80 watt folding solar panel:

I was going to add a leg to the back to prop up it up but I think I like a clamp well enough that I won't bother with a leg.

Here's a picture to give an idea of how big it is folded up. I think this size would work well for a Teardrop.

I used a window sash lock as a latch to keep it closed

A couple of hinges riveted on. I never do seem to get hinges centered right but this will work well enough.

I wired the two panels in parallel so I could use a cheaper PWM solar controller as this panel will power the truck. Also, shading on one panel doesn't affect the output of the other when the are in parallel. The junction box on the right is the newest panel, the one on the left is the older panel. Lavie is definitely cutting corners on the quality of the box.

Here's a picture of the panel specification sheet.

How does it perform? I hooked it up to the trailer so I could use the MPPT controller to check the output. It's a cool day but at 63.5 watts the panel is putting out more than nameplate wattage. This will drop when it gets hotter outside but none of the other panels I've bought have performed this well.

Here's the output in amps, the meter on the left shows panel output, the meter on the right shows the total amps going to the battery. The one on the right is lower because I had some lights on. Notice that the output at 4.22 amps is higher than the Imp rating (3.42 amps) of both panels. That's the Sunsaver MPPT controller in action.

Folding solar panels are much more expensive than regular panels but it's not very hard to make one and then you get your choice of controllers. I used aSunKeeperfor the truck as it doesn't have any exposed terminals and it mounts easily. It will mount straight to the junction box on a bigger panel.

Bruce

P.S. Why did I put the solar panel on the outside when its folded? I found out that the glass is very strong from the outside but weak on the backside.
Last edited by bdosborn on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Fri May 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Very nice!!

I'll have you to know that I am resisting this addiction with all my might. I keep getting more and more ideas!

All I have now is the 15w battery maintainer and 100w solar controller. I saw a nice 80w panel I wanted to put on my revers TD (Little Guy 2009).

The front of my TD needs a solar panel, doesn't it? Having a folding one would prevent chips and such from driving debris.

Hugs,
Patricia

edit: fixed pict
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Fri May 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Ratkity wrote:The front of my TD needs a solar panel, doesn't it?

Yup. Give in to your yearnings... :ok:

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Fri May 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Bruce,

Thanks for the nice write up.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dreadcptflint » Fri May 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Yup Bruce, you are a solar junkie. :thumbsup:
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TENNJIM » Sat May 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks Bruce, nice design! I have been resisting the solar panel install, but it is getting more difficult every day with this type info.
8)
Jim B / utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat May 07, 2011 2:46 pm

“You don’t need to see his identification. These aren’t the droids you’re looking for. He can go about his business. Move along and buy a solar panel.â€
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Sat May 07, 2011 3:31 pm

I think I just might
I like your folding setup
good job :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby Trackstriper » Sat May 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Bruce,

I saw, somewhere in a previous post on the forum, a thin solar product that was self-adhesive.....made by Uni-Solar...

http://www.uni-solar.com/wp-content/upl ... 697-05.pdf

I will be super sizing my cargo trailer project and will have the roof length to mount one or two of these. It would appear that they might be less susceptible to hail damage and would not be visible from normal eye level. Is hail damage a normal issue with standard panels? Have you heard any feedback about this type of product or is a standard panel the way to go?

another Bruce
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sat May 07, 2011 4:45 pm

UL solar is having a sale on panels. Cheapest I've ever seen. I've had to get some extra connectors as my current controller has different connects on it.

I got the 85 watt one!!

http://www.ul-solar.com/85_Watt_12_Volt ... 5p-tls.htm

I like the hinges that Bruce set up and the window sash latch. I want to come up with a cover that can latch over the panel for when I'm driving.

Also, I am debating whether to mount it fixed or set up something that I can have one side pivot and the other side be adjustable. If you have any ideas or material ideas, let me know. I have access to big box stores, but can't weld.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat May 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Trackstriper wrote:I will be super sizing my cargo trailer project and will have the roof length to mount one or two of these. It would appear that they might be less susceptible to hail damage and would not be visible from normal eye level. Is hail damage a normal issue with standard panels? Have you heard any feedback about this type of product or is a standard panel the way to go?

Bruce,

There are guys that swear by Unisolar due to the low light performance. They're getting better output on cloudy/rainy days than polycrystalline guys are. The drawbacks are they're expensive, they have half the efficiency so you need twice as much roof area for the same wattage, Unisolar was sold to another company and there's some doubts about long term (like 10 years) performance. I looked long and hard at Unisolar and ended up going polycrystalline because its so much cheaper and I don't have a lot of roof area. Most glass panels are rated for golf ball size hail but you pays your money and you takes your chance.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sat May 07, 2011 8:11 pm

Ratkity wrote:Also, I am debating whether to mount it fixed or set up something that I can have one side pivot and the other side be adjustable. If you have any ideas or material ideas, let me know. I have access to big box stores, but can't weld.

Twice I've built tilting panel racks using aluminum from the big box store.

I ended keeping them flat on both trailers for two reasons: I'm usually charged by noon anyways and I'm kind of lazy. I bet you can keep your panel flat. :R

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Trackstriper » Sat May 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Bruce, thanks for the input. I would have the real estate on the roof as far as surface area goes, but I got thinking after I made the earlier post that once the panels were stuck down they are probably there for the duration. Might not peel up so well! If the long range durability is in question that could be a deal breaker. I'll look at the standard panels when the time comes...I may have been overly concerned about hail.

Bruce
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ratkity » Sun May 08, 2011 10:35 am

Hey Bruce,

What angle iron did you use to mount your panels? What should I look for so it doesn't rust?

I have to remove an old radio antenna and that will leave a hole about 2 inches diameter. Do you have suggestions to plug it/cover it/seal it?

You can barely see the antenna behind the redneck lantern holder in the RT TD picture.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Ratkity
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Sun May 08, 2011 11:08 am

Ratkity wrote:What angle iron did you use to mount your panels? What should I look for so it doesn't rust?

I used aluminum so no rusting problems. Use stainless steel screws because steel ones will rust quickly touching aluminum.

Ratkity wrote:I have to remove an old radio antenna and that will leave a hole about 2 inches diameter. Do you have suggestions to plug it/cover it/seal it?

I couldn't find the picture but you might be able to use the hole to route the wires for the solar panel into the trailer using one of these:

Perko 1190

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Next

Return to Electrical Secrets