Appeal to UK members - where can I get this?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Appeal to UK members - where can I get this?

Postby tearaway » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:51 am

Hi Teardroppers!
My first post here so please be kind!
I'm in the UK and have recently bought a kit made teardrop.
But I would like an awning to give me more space.
I have searched the web for suitable awnings for teardrops but can't find any.
There is a stand alone porch by Sunn Camp which would work but what I'd really prefer is one like this:
http://thebedbug.co.uk/gallery/awning
I've written to the bedbug company which sells this one with their vans for info but can't get a response.
My caravan is slightly a different shape and a little longer than the one shown here but I think it might fit and I quite like the idea of something which ties behind the opposite side of the van for security in high winds etc.
Does anyone (from the UK I presume) know where I can get one of these awnings or who makes them?
Incidentally I haven't seen any photos of awnings on this forum - don't you US folk use them? Maybe we need them more because of English weather!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
tearaway
Teardrop Inspector

Postby UK-Corlett » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:36 am

Hi tearaway

The thing is if you make your own TD you are expected to make everything else, its part of the game. I know you bought your TD but get with the programmme and have a go. You can always put it in th bin if its naf. :-)

An awning for us in the UK needs to stand up to a lot of wind rain etc. also the US guys do a lot of their camping on hard standing while we are mostly on the grass.

I made this its a not great but works realy well.

I also have one of these, its by Outwell. More of somewhere to hide from the sun that the rain. I had to drop it when the wind picked up this Easter in Yorkshire.

UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Postby tearaway » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:50 am

Hi UK Corlett
Thanks so much for responding.
I have been messing about with bits of old tent I had in the garage but made a pigs ear of it.
I did think of one of those garden gazebo square things but figured they might take ages to erect?
Thanks for the pics of your awnings - I wonder if that Outwell company make one that's more enclosed - will check them out.
It's only a matter of time before more stuff comes on the market here - I note there are plenty of awnings for motor homes.
Since writing my letter I've discovered more good pictures on this forum but I gather the US folk mostly call them side tents so searched under that.
Thanks for your help - is there a section for UK folk on this forum or maybe there aren't enough of us here?
tearaway
Teardrop Inspector

Postby UK-Corlett » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:08 am

Hi tearaway

There isn't a special place for the Brits, we just muck-in as does Heikki in Finland.

The US guys are great though, very helpfull, very supportive.

This forum has been going for a while now and if you search around a bit you will find out that most things have been covered in depth.

As for numbers well we are on a bit of a surge I think, there were more UK builds completed this year than ever. Even a gathering in Derbyshire.

So welcome and I hope you get what you want out of your TD, I have topped 100 nights in mine and I am vey happy.

Clive

PS We love photos
UK-Corlett
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:06 pm

tearaway wrote:I did think of one of those garden gazebo square things but figured they might take ages to erect?

I can't offer any help on the curved awning, but there are square gazebos (gazeboes?) that are very quick and easy to put up. Some of the Merkan ones are called E-Z-Ups and they have lazy tongs action rather than that endless faffing about with loose bits of pole.

I used one recently and they work really well. I don't know where they can be bought or how much they cost. The one I used had clip-on side panels and it would be easy to modify one of them to connect to your teardrop.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby tearaway » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:10 pm

Hi Andrew
Thanks for your input.
By coincidence I've just been on the web looking at those easy-up gazebos and wondering if I could put one up alone.
Take a look at these two sites:

www.easygazebos.com

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Piranha-T ... QQ_armrsZ1

The first one has two versions - one a little heavier than the other but I figure my teardrop could snuggle inside against one of the add on walls and still have quite a few feet covered area in front of the little door.

So for around £100 I might soon be dry in rain like today's - just as long as I can keep the thing on the ground. One site does advise these things are not suitable in high winds.

Did you try one in a camping capacity or simply in somebody's garden?
Do you think one person could erect one?
Thanks Andrew
Dave
tearaway
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tearaway » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:20 pm

Sorry - having connection probs at moment and somehow managed to double up a post.
When I hit the edit/delete button I still can't figure out how to delete it!
Help please!
Dave
tearaway
Teardrop Inspector

Postby godskid » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:30 pm

I was looking at one of our Mercan EZ-Ups in the store this past weekend. The sales guy thought it would be a struggle, but might be erectable by one person.
("tug one side; run around and tug the other pole; repeat as needed")

I think it might help it one pole was stuck through a ring, maybe help fixed by your hitch or something. Then you just tug on the other pole. And *then* remove the first pole from what it was hitched to, before the car drives away!

Deb
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby tearaway » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi Deb
I must say I've never seen one being put up.
I always imagined the legs came separate from the top part but from what you say the legs are attached at the start and you unfold it that way.
Good idea as you suggest to hook one leg in the tow bar and then tug until it's all open.
Then presumably the fabric has to be thrown over the frame.
Do you think that would pose a prob for lil ole me alone?
Dave
tearaway
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tearaway » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:02 pm

Can anyone explain why I am described as a teardrop builder when the only thing in my life I've ever built is a sandcastle and....resentment!
Dave
tearaway
Teardrop Inspector

Postby godskid » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:05 pm

My guess is that "teardrop builder" means you are new to the forum and have posted only a few times. I think I'm in the same category. But I *bought* a used teardrop, thank you!

The fabric comes, and stays, attached on the EZups. That's why it's EZ. The scissors mechanism just opens up, by pulling on two sides. The 4 long legs do telescope, so they aren't that long when you put it away. But it folds up like a nice fan. (Per the one I saw in the store, anyway.)

You're making me re-think my decision not to get one. I probably should!
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby godskid » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:07 pm

I think the EZup only requires a stake at the bottom of each leg, to hold it in place. But I suspect you COULD add ropes, if you expect a windy day.

In another thread, somebody suggested tying each of the four legs to a 5-gallon bucket that you've filled with water. Makes a handy weight .... and is also handy if your firepit has problems and needs to be doused!
godskid
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:47 pm

:thumbsup: Somewhere around here there is a thread where the question was asked about a single person doing an EZ up. The answer was peg one leg and pull the opposite corner. Slowly one leg at a time put them up........ :thumbsup: A little warning most are not tents and are not really good in heavy rain and wind.

If you look for wilderness equipment you might do better over there..... :lol: Oh the rain and fog..............

btw Image to the playground ;)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby tearaway » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Thank you all of you for your very good advice.
Think I might wait a week and think about it.
I'm torn between the luxury and space of a gazebo and the difficulties I'm having over here at least to find a simple largish porch affair that I can erect easily and hop out my little door, stand up in the dry or sit in a chair and watch the world go by.
Thanks again everyone for your input!
Dave
tearaway
Teardrop Inspector

Postby godskid » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:16 pm

Miriam C. wrote: A little warning most are not tents and are not really good in heavy rain and wind.

Would it help to add some ropes? Our dining "fly" for Revolutionary War reenacting is a simple rectangle of fabric, but with 2 ropes at each of 6 poles, it stays up fairly well. Even if there isn't an official place to put ropes, would they be helpful for an EZup? Or would the pockets made by the corner poles catch the wind more than the square canvas I'm referring to?

(shown in 3rd pic here) http://godskid.ingodsfamily.com/revwar/ ... _life.html
godskid
The 300 Club

Next

Return to General Discussion