Slide-in fiberglass camper

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Slide-in fiberglass camper

Postby jagular7 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:57 pm

Its more of a construction/utility type encloser that slides into a bed of a pickup, but alas add a flat utility trailer frame, and wala, a fiberglass camper with some exterior side storage.

This one was for sale locally, then went Ebay for $1200.

Made by Horizon Fibermold, this particular model is the 6000SI. Rather tall and wide, its similar to a Compact design with the rear door. Web site is Horizon Fibermold. Don't get me wrong, its a slide-in design so there is limited interior space on the base. But slide-ins are usually outfitted pretty well. And yes, the sleep area of a slide-in is over the cab, but setup this camper like a Compact (rear enty, kichen port, closet starboard, bed/table towards front) and it should work well. Could this be the next generation Compact? Add a little pop-up center section and have more headroom with the smaller ligher versions.

I have sent an email requesting more information for a bottom tub box (site states custom fab work) to work with a flat bed layout rather than the slide-in or bolt-on canopy styles. Look at the tech specs. This one weighs in at 650#s only. Add maybe 400#s for rolling trailer and you are still really light for the size.

5000SI model

6000SI model

If the regular slide-in campers are particularly well suited with shower/stall, cooking area, dining, then I can't see why this with straight bottom box wouldn't work just as well sitting on it's own frame work. The trailer's tires can be cut out of the bottom tub and a splash well added in, just like any other fiberglass campers. Or just use the slide in on a utility trailer. Or take a canopy and build a base for it on a frame (partial tiny trailer build).

Any thoughts? I've also asked for a cost sheet and brouchures.

Cost sheet:

Slide-in Series - 5000SI $5695CAN ($4897US); 6000SI $6895CAN ($5929US). When I talked to them couple months ago (its now Aug '07), they were not mfring anything but these 2 slide-ins. Pretty expensive just for a shell.
Last edited by jagular7 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

pics

Postby RiffRaff » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:47 am

can you repost the pics
RiffRaff
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:07 am

I think they are in his album..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby brian_bp » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:03 pm

Horizon now appears to be Tufport, and I assume the models of interest are the Utility range, which includes the models previously mentioned.

Arne wrote:I think they are in his album..

No, I believe that all of the photos currently in his album are of the Pinzgaur ambulance body which is becoming a travel trailer.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jagular7 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:48 am

Updated the pics from my album relocate in photobucket and some costs. Thanks for the update Brian on the new 'ownership'.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby alloffroad » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:41 pm

I have been thinking of doing something like this with my utility trailer. A full size truck camper shell will fit perfectly and I will still have enough room for the quad. I still want to build, from scratch, a TTT but the shell idea would suffice for now using a cheap used shell.
alloffroad
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Non-traditional Designs