Trailer without a frame...

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:59 pm

Yep... That's what Ted and LuAnne are working on... I just got this photo from them...

Mike...

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Jiminsav » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:30 pm

awwwwww...isn't it cute..i'm gonna do something simular on my next one..no frame..it better work out better then last time.. :oops:
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby SteveH » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:35 pm

I would actually only be concerned about the strength of the floor where the springs are attached, but that is just me.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Frank » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:36 pm

uhmmmm, Maybe Ted and LuAnn ought to get with Dean. Compromise somewhere in-between. :oops: :roll:

Frank
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby ralaco » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:25 pm

Now the straight of the tear is going to be in the way the body is going to be assembled.

Raul

:twisted:
ralaco
Teardrop Master

Postby Arne » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:50 pm

Mike, that is pretty close to what I plan, with exceptions:

There will be a rectangular metal sub-frame just in the spring area. The tongue will be a 2 piece V meeting at the ball mount. The rear of the rect. will be closer to the back to support the battery and heavy stuff in the galley.

Personally, and I'm no engineer, I'd be happier if there was a piece of angle running 4 or 5 feet, rather than pads... that design places a lot of load on the ply walls... and a V tongue spreads out the front wall load.

I just looked again, they do have the perimeter frame, and I think it will work, except, the I'm still a bit concerned about the front wall on the tongue... I think I'd try to beef that up, maybe with something inside the wall..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Some measurements

Postby Guy » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:00 pm

Dear Mike,

Would you please ask Ted and LuAnne what the distance between the axle and the tounge is? I am hoping it is enough to allow the springs to depress without the axle hitting the tongue.
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:53 pm

Mike is that fiberglass on the blocks that the axles bolt to? If so will that help keep it from deteriorating. :thinking:
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:21 pm

Mike,
What type of rear spring mount are they using? I can't tell from the photo. I would hope it's some form of slipper mount, I don't see a rear shackle arrangement. Sure wouldn't want both ends of the springs fixed.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby madjack » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:26 pm

Kevin A wrote:Mike,
What type of rear spring mount are they using? I can't tell from the photo. I would hope it's some form of slipper mount, I don't see a rear shackle arrangement. Sure wouldn't want both ends of the springs fixed.

...if both ends are fixed, doesn't that make it a "solid" mount...also, it is hard to tell from the pic but is there sufficient clearance between the tongue and axle...I like Arne's idea about the angle iron box...seems with that box, added to the setup shown, you would have a frame even Buford would aprove of...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Kevin A » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:33 pm

madjack wrote:
Kevin A wrote:Mike,

...if both ends are fixed, doesn't that make it a "solid" mount...also, it is hard to tell from the pic but is there sufficient clearance between the tongue and axle...I like Arne's idea about the angle iron box...seems with that box, added to the setup shown, you would have a frame even Buford would aprove of...
madjack 8)

Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine locking both ends of a spring. kind of defeats the purpose, and wouldn't that create undue stress on the springs and mounts?

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby madjack » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:39 pm

...well like I said...without a slipper or shackle, the mount would be solid and probably break through at the mount point...... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:43 pm

That frame looks to be about 500lbs. shy for my liking. :D

Postby Arne » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:44 pm

looks like the closer end is not bolted solid, but is a slipper with cross plates to hold the spring in position..

If both ends were bolted solid, the springs would have no effect. It would be the same as no suspension at all. Meaning, the spring could not spring. Also meaning the springs would eventually separate from the frame after enough highway miles..... it would break free.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Kevin A » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:50 pm

Looks like M/J, Arne and I are coming to the same conclusion. Not quite sure about Dean. :lol: :lol: :lol: I was mostly just thinking out loud, is that allowed? :roll: ;)

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Next

Return to General Discussion