Matthewp's MuTTT (Multiple Terrain Tactical Teardrop).

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Matthewp's MuTTT (Multiple Terrain Tactical Teardrop).

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:29 pm

I feel so bad! About a year ago, I registered on this forum to develop great ideas and get good answers to design problems. The end of July I actually started on my build AND I COMPLETELY FORGOT TO START A BUILD THREAD HERE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT ADVISE I GOT!

The original design thread is here: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=52412

Please forgive me, and here starts my build (I will put dates at the start of the past threads until I get current... It is moving a little slower than expected but still fun):

29 July 2013:
I went to say hello to my local welding shop today...

Here's a Teaser:

This is the main frame tacked together. It will be another couple of weeks before I get to tow this home and start working on it so please be patient!
Last edited by matthewp on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Matthewp's MuTTT (Multiple Terrain Tactical Teardrop).

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:31 pm

12 August 2013:
Look what followed me home today:

Here's a closer view of the front area with the propane tank/spare tire rack sitting in place:

Next step is to get a coat of primer on it, then start with plywood on the bottom and sheet metal on the sides.
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:31 pm

30 August 2013:
I didn't get much done today, just put the frame up on blocks to dis-assemble the suspension (to finish priming and painting), and cut some of the wood for the floor. Unfortunately that's about all I'll get done this weekend, we're going to Canada to see the in-laws.
ImageImage
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:32 pm

7 September 2013:
Today was as much about testing construction theory as it was about actually building. I only bought one sheet of metal because I wasn't sure if I'd actually be able to form it to meet my needs.

My plan was to use a 2 X 4 (with one side shaved to form a sharper edge) as a poor man's sheet-bender.

With a little tapping of the hammer after bending each side, the final product wasn't too shabby, even if I say so myself!

Here's the test fit into the frame after installing the hatch. The hatch actually attaches to the trailer frame, not the sheet metal sides.

And, here's the final sealed & primed product.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be working on the flooring and the battery/water tank area.
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:33 pm

9 September 2013:
I didn't get nearly as much as I had hoped today, not much finished but I did get the spare tire/propane tank set-up test mounted and the strap assembly finished. There will also be a chain running through the hub of the wheel as a back-up just in case the strap fails.

matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:34 pm

9 September 2013:
Not too much was accomplished tonight. I did at least get most of the water tank and electrical areas boxed in (nothing actually screwed in though). The water tank area will be sealed in case of a leak.
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:35 pm

15 September 2013:
For those of you who just love pictures (or can't quite grasp my strange design), here is the completed spare tire/propane mount.

Safety chain mounted (old bicycle inner-tube makes a great protective sleeve for the rim).

The line off the propane tank goes under the trailer and out the passenger side, behind the wheel, to a standard "Acme" tank connector.

Also, I finally got the other cargo door section skinned, along with the two front panels. I learned from the first section that I want to wait for the 3M 5200 adhesive/sealant to completely cure (7 days) before I paint over it.
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:36 pm

15 September 2013:
Also, I'm starting to add the detail stuff, like the rubber bumpers for the cargo doors (so they don't just bounce off the trailer frame if they drop open).
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:37 pm

23 September 2013:
This weekend, I finally got the sheet metal done with the exception of the rear-end piece (which will require engineering of the rear storage compartment. It's going to store the two side tables for the kitchen area). I will also have to get the plumbing sorted out as the rear "manual" water tap will be back there.

One noteworthy addition is the pair of chock-block storage areas. I had been looking for a spot to securely store my chock-blocks but I didn't want to just throw them in the basement storage.

I saw I had a triangular shaped area immediately to the front of the wheel well...

Right shape, right size. Now, how to get them to stay there? I took one look at the conveniently hollowed out center section of my chock-blocks and it hit me. Drill the centers out and use a screw-on knob to hold them into their spots.

Here's the wooden build-up for the storage area in place. This was covered in steel and will be sealed and painted.

More pictures to come when it's painted. I still don't think the foreman is happy with my pace.
Last edited by matthewp on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:38 pm

29 September 2013:
Dear U-Haul, your method of installing a trailer wiring harness sucks! After my trailer connection went out, I tore out all the butt-splices and T-connectors, then moved the module from under the rear bumper. I soldered, shrink tubed and properly protected the wiring then moved the module to a better spot behind one of the tail lights.

Then, I finally got to work on the trailer. The rear section is now complete externally and the water spigots were test fitted. Pics are without the metal, it was getting a little to dark by the time I got the metal done.

The rear storage compartment for the add-on side tables.
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby matthewp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:47 pm

The last few weeks have been all detail work. I'm planning to have the chassis back on its wheels and outside for some pictures by Veterans weekend, then I'll have more pictures of all the detail work.
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Great job, you have some skills!!! :applause:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby eggsalad » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:32 am

Just curious... You've obviously selected a hub bolt pattern to match the TV. Since the TV already has a spare, why are you adding a 2nd spare tire?
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby matthewp » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:22 am

eggsalad wrote:Just curious... You've obviously selected a hub bolt pattern to match the TV. Since the TV already has a spare, why are you adding a 2nd spare tire?

Redundancy! I will probably (and hope to) never need it but it may be nice to have if the worst-case ever happens since the trailer is designed to follow my Jeep quite far off the beaten path. At the least, I'll have a nice spot to mount my Trasharoo!
matthewp
Teardrop Advisor

Postby AlgoDan » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:20 am

Dang, that's one beefy frame you have going...I see Tactical all over it, nice build. Will be waiting for more pics for sure... :thumbsup: :beer:
Here now but Camping later.............Dan

Build Journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54681
102535 103199 105576
From .................Paper...........................To.......................... Pavement............................
AlgoDan
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Build Journals