Round Wiley Window alternative?

General Discussion about almost anything Teardrop or camping related

Re: Round Wiley Window alternative?

Postby Brushy_Bill » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:30 pm

Cosmo wrote:Image

My porthole is hinged on top and opens from the inside with a kickstand on the bottom of the window. There is a screen which the kickstand passes thru. When closed there is a wood porthole cover for privacy. It all works perfectly. I think port holes give hints of Jules Verne meets Buck Rodgers . Kind of retro future.

I have not had a water entry problem on any of the 4 opening windows including the portholes. But I am sure if conditions are right water will enter any window. When it does I will close the window that is taking on water and open the leeward side.
I have air vents on the front that I can open if all windows are closed. Fan provides forced ventilation via the vents if its hot and the windows are closed.

I have great respect for builders (maybe a touch of envy too). I purchased my trailer. I do not have the time or skill to build anything that would come close to what I purchased.

I do have the time to enjoy it and it has turned out to be a great fun. This is my first year trailer’ing. I love looking at the wonderful designs and execution I see here.

As a backpacker the trailer seems like a luxury hotel in great locations. When I get home after a vacation I feel like the bedroom (normal size) is way larger than I really need!

Happy Holidays
Cosmo

Thanks for posting. No reason I could not duplicate
what you have on your trailer. Would eliminate the
wood frames around the plexi in my drawings.
I am surprised there is no "gutters" directly over
the openings.

Thanks again for sharing your photos, they are priceless.
Brushy_Bill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Pmullen503 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:56 pm

I did some playing around with the Gamma Seal Window idea of Rowerwet. I don't want to hijack this thread, so the result of my experiment is here: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64943
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Cosmo » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Happy to help.

I have a rain gutter over the door to prevent drip'age when getting in and out. I have 30 nights in the trailer and many nights of rain. So far no problem with water dripping in the open windows with vertical rain -Wind driven horizontal rain might.

The side windows are tempered auto glass. I have no idea how the maker drilled tempered glass without shattering it. The front window is automotive safety glass like a car windshield.

Somewhere in this video it shows the windows opening and closing (towards the end of the video). https://youtu.be/7c301imjcvk

Good Luck with your design
Cosmo

FUN WITH TEARDROP TRAILER VIDEOS
https://www.youtube.com/CosmoWeems/videos

I am an Amazon Associate if you buy from my links I may profit at no cost to you!
Cosmo
The 300 Club

Postby Brushy_Bill » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:37 am

Pmullen503 wrote:I did some playing around with the Gamma Seal Window idea of Rowerwet. I don't want to hijack this thread, so the result of my experiment is here: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=64943

No worries of hijack, we're looking at alternatives to round wiley windows.
The gama seals are definitely an alternative.
These gama seal options looks interesting. I checked with the vendor and they show
nothing concerning UV resistance.
I am glad they were brought up as I had not seen these before.
Brushy_Bill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Brushy_Bill » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:47 am

Cosmo wrote:Happy to help.

I have a rain gutter over the door to prevent drip'age when getting in and out. I have 30 nights in the trailer and many nights of rain. So far no problem with water dripping in the open windows with vertical rain -Wind driven horizontal rain might.

The side windows are tempered auto glass. I have no idea how the maker drilled tempered glass without shattering it. The front window is automotive safety glass like a car windshield.

Somewhere in this video it shows the windows opening and closing (towards the end of the video). https://youtu.be/7c301imjcvk

Good Luck with your design
Cosmo

Thanks again Cosmo.
Those window props/closers looks very familiar. I remember seeing mechanisms like them on some camper windows when I
was a kid some 50 years ago. They are simple, will draw the window in tight when closed, then fold out of the way.
Perfect for our uses.

Appreciate the video link. I think that is the finest trailer sold these days, you have good taste.
Hope you are able to enjoy it until your a very very old man.

Happy Camping,
Brushy Bill
Brushy_Bill
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Talia62 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:29 am

Cosmo wrote:

Cosmo

They are tempered after being drilled.
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Postby Mikel46516 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:31 pm

Have there been any developments over the six years since this thread died a premature death? Any DIY attempts at swing-out windows of the sort that Vistabule uses in their campers?
Mikel46516
Teardrop Inspector

Postby popper » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:04 am

I am also interested in this topic, Cosmo's post has a pretty nice looking design.

I personally would love a 70's van style bubble window that is hinged.. I'm not sure if the optics would be distorted looking through something like that.
popper
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to General Discussion