Wee-Go

...ask your questions in the appropriate forums BUT document your build here...preferably in a single thread...dates for updates, are appreciated....

Wee-Go

Postby bbrider » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:28 pm

So I started building my off road caravan style tiny trailer, Away Wee-Go, with the purchase of my metal to build the trailer frame from the ground up on August 9th. I then posted in the general discussion area about my idea and starting my build. I kept adding to the thread as I went along and decided it is more of a build journal than just a general discussion type post. I don't know how to move it to Build Journals so I decided to start a new thread here and put a link to the first part of my build from the General Discussion thread. It brings me to the start of the box with the floor installed. I will post what happens next here.

I have to say with 40 years in construction and having been retired for 10 years, it has been fun and enlightening to build this. I have a friend that said his dad used to say "I went to school on the first one". Well I am going to school. I have never built a trailer from the ground up and my welding skills is not the best. My welds will hold, but they are not as pretty as someone that does that on a regular basis's. I am at this point thinking this will be my one and only TT build and want it to be perfect....LOL.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66815#p1180427
Last edited by bbrider on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Naw Bro, We ain't lost. We just ain't never been here before!

Wee-Go build journal:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66964
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Re: Away Wee-Go

Postby bbrider » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:05 pm

My original drawing.
I am switching the door and the AC access panel to the opposite sides from this drawing I did early on. I just never re-drew it and since that time my better half said she wanted one of the pretty doors instead of my home made door so now I have a door from Vintage Tech coming.
Hooked up to my tv before paint.
My over built trailer after paint. Built with 2" square 3/16" wall tubing. Since I plan on going off road with it I wanted a strong foundation.
Floor is down and stained. I will be adding a couple more cross pieces and decking out the front 76" for the bed with an access door in the foot section for some small storage access.

I plan on going to the troopers office tomorrow to try and get it stamped with a vin so I can get it licensed.

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Not much work done on the wee-go today. The big thing I did do was got the vin stamped and got it licensed. I applied a coat of poly to the bed area just to seal it after a coat of stain was put on yesterday. I am still waiting on my Windows and door to come in before I buy the plywood for the walls. I don't have a place to store my wood that is flat and out of the weather and here in Louisiana we are having heavy rains almost every day now. I am without electricity now.

I ordered my parts from Vintage and have not received a tracking number so I don't have a clue when to expect them.

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby somneguy1 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:30 pm

Looking forward to following your build :)
somneguy1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bbrider » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:22 pm

Good news! Doors and windows will be here on the 8th, bad news I will be in Arkansas on a motorcycle trip. Oh wait, that is not bad news....LOL. Work will start back on trailer the 13th, but I leave again for Colorado with the wife in the Jeep on the 17th! Fun fun fun!

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:59 pm

Well I am back from two different trips in this month and fired up to get my Wee-Go moving along. I picked up the wood for the box on Tuesday and made it home by 1:00 pm. Worked till 5:30 pm and had a box with the rear door cut out and temporarily put together.

Wednesday I cut out the two windows and took off the roof. Then doing one side at a time I pulled it apart and added my wood glue and put it back together. I didn't want to have to worry about hitting a screw head when I put my corner trim on so I came up with a layout for my assembly screw pattern. I measured from my left to my right or from bottom to top on all joints and made marks for my screws on 6" centers. Now when I put on my trim I can figure out where my wood screws are. I finished the box with screws and glue on Wednesday.

Thursday I sealed the exterior with Thompsons water seal and install most of my trim inside. That took awhile as I was using 1x2" pine and cutting slots in the back top portion to run my DC lamp cord wire through to my lights and roof fan.

Friday I pulled it out and hooked it up to my Jeep to see what it would look like. I had pulled the finders and tires off so they weren't in the way while building it, so I just stuck the tires on to pull it out for a test fit. After that I put it back in it's work space under my rear patio and started putting my stain on.....two coats. Well one coat inside the Wee-Go. The second coat came from a freshly opened can that I dropped while stirring it. That went on me, the work table, all my drills and saws, and the floor! Guess I was little more tired than I thought. That pretty much brought an end to my work for the day on the Wee-Go. Time to clean up my mess and I wasn't a happy camper at that time!

Saturday morning was a motorcycle riding day with the temp being 58* when I rode out this morning to meet some buddy's for breakfast and a ride down to my old home town of Natchitoches for a car show. Got back home around 1:00 and decided to add another coat of stain so after a trip to Lowes and with clean hands I opened my new new can of stain and got that second coat done. Then my boss came home from shopping and we got into a conversation about light placement and storage shelves and the corner cabinet I have yet to build. I had purposely not ran the rear top cross piece of 1x2 because I didn't know what I wanted to do with the light on that end. We decided to mount it on the wall above the door. Then we could just reach in and turn it on from outside through the door. I bought two 4" led lights that are flush mount so I cut a round doughnut to fit the light and cut a notch in the back at the top for the wires to come into the doughnut hole from out of the rear trim. That kept the wires out of sight and sort of gave me a wood junction box the make the connections in for the light when I get the finish done. Here are a few pictures from the week.

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bam1028 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:38 am

Looks good behind the ol JK! Very nice progress so far. I hope to be able to pull mine with my TJ but I will have to get a new tire carrier/bumper.
bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bbrider » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:04 am

bam1028 wrote:Looks good behind the ol JK! Very nice progress so far. I hope to be able to pull mine with my TJ but I will have to get a new tire carrier/bumper.
I am looking forward to using it too! What are you building?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:45 pm

My big accomplishment for the day. I got the fan furred out for the trim ring, got the front shelf built, got the doughnut ring made and mounted with the wiring for the front light, and got the stain on.

It is amazing how I can use up so much time now doing these little things!

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:57 pm

You're moving along quickly! It's looking good!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bbrider » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:38 pm

S. Heisley wrote:You're moving along quickly! It's looking good!

Thanks! I am retired so I usually don't have much to get in the way of my projects. Other than this is the time of the year I do most of my traveling.

So today I built the corner cabinet for the ac unit and storage. The top shelf will be for the window ac unit. I will cut a hatch so I can slide it out the back when I want to use it

The middle shelf will have my ac power strip which also has two USB charge connectors as well.

The bottom is going to either house a porta potty or or bags of clothes and a small bucket....the boss said she has decided which yet.

Tomorrow I will add my trim to the front side and start my stain.

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bbrider » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:31 pm

Finished my trim and got the stain done. Decide to do a little house keeping for the rest of the day. Man am I a dirty worker! 4 hours of cleaning up including cleaning the glass on my patio table where I spilt a whole quart of stain. I think cleaning is harder than the build!

Tomorrow I start the first coat of poly and I am not looking forward to that.

Wee-Go build journal:
bbrider
Teardrop Master

Postby bam1028 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:42 pm

bbrider wrote:
bam1028 wrote:Looks good behind the ol JK! Very nice progress so far. I hope to be able to pull mine with my TJ but I will have to get a new tire carrier/bumper.
I am looking forward to using it too! What are you building?
I am building a 6x10 cedar and aluminum benroy style. Looking good so far. The interior is coming along very nicely. Thanks for sharing

bam1028
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:14 am

Stain looks nice! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen