Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Re: Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:20 am

The rod we added to allow hanging of coats, etc.
I put 2 batteries on, always paranoid about power.
Locking/sliding drawer for the Alpicool fridge
These lights swivel and rotate, they are great in the cab since you don't have to turn on all the lights and wake the wife or vice versa.
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:21 am

Anyone know about the possible connection surface port on the dome lamp frame located just above the counter on the right as you enter? It appears like it might be a 5mm power port for other accessories, but I have no owner paperwork on the lamp nor is there any identifying manufacturer shown. I tried to get the cover off, but fear I may rip the screws out of the wall before the cover plate yields. I have seen accessory items like a fan/lights with the jack power connection just wondering if that is what it is.
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:01 pm

Is this the light you mean? On my non-V-PKG it's on the left side above the counter. Maybe because of the sink & faucet with yours they switched sides.
Either way, it's not a great light (LED would be better) and being above the counter it tends to have something stored in front of it at night when you most need it.

The power port at the top right corner is for the fan that came with the trailer. I'm sure different accessories could be plugged in to the light. The fan is supposed to clip on to the tent rail when the top is up but the curly cord on the fan is not long enough. To be honest, I tossed my fan out. I found it to be VERY hard to plug the fan cord in to the light. It was because the plastic light cover didn't line up properly with the electrical plug hole. I took my cover off and I'm sure the hole could be reamed out a bit.

I took the entire light off just to see what's in there. You're right, the cover is on really tight! It has a has a plastic clip at each corner and they do snap off (not break) but it takes some prying. The fixture is held on by 4 screws thought the wall panel. There's a hole of about 1" with black (+) and white (-) wires coming through from the rear of the trailer. Mine sat disassembled for about a month while I tried to figure out what to do with it. I never did so I put it back together. I have installed a few other interior lights and will replace this one (better location and brighter - LED). I'll probably just cover up the holes in the end, hopefully with something that has a practical purpose.

PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:36 am

That's the light. Our unit did not come with the fan, but a fan makes sense. Ours is at least and LED. Like you said, the location on the counter is terrible and mostly useless. I still haven't figured out what to do with it. I might just remove it and replace it with a power jack. With a 12V coiled extension it may provide some flexibility on moving a light around the cab or even outside.....ideas.
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:50 pm

A power jack in place of the light is a good idea. It's actually a better spot than where the provided power jacks are.

I think I mispoke on mine not being an LED. I think it is a warm tone light vs. a cool light. It's still a bad light in a bad spot. lol.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby comptech25 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:12 pm

My wife and I just recently purchased our first camper, a 2019 Coachmen Clipper. Last week was our maiden voyage. There were a few things I wanted to fix or improve to make the camper better. During my research, I came across this site. The first thing we noticed was the lack of lights near the door. We found the light above the counter pretty useless. A temporary fix was to hang a small light from Harbor Freight on one of the struts for the roof and puck lights in the under bed storage. I’m trying to figure out a way to add a light to the center of the ceiling so that I don’t have to rely on battery operated lamps. Maybe put a switch near the door and run off the 12v?

An issue we discovered was a leak under the counter near the air conditioner. Turns out our AC unit was installed without weatherstripping to seal the hole around it. I added weatherstripping and recaulked the screen that goes on the outside. Since we really don’t use it, I may end up removing the AC in favor of more storage.
comptech25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:02 am

comptech - Congrats on your purchase. Although I'm happy with ours the more I use it the more ideas I come up with to change it. I agree that the counter light is kind of useless. I plan to attach an LED to the underside of the lid so it has a good overhead light. I don't want to drill holes through the lid so I'll probably use adhesive (3M trim tape?) for the 12V line and for the fixture itself.

I made a switch panel in the area of the radio by the rear door which is mostly for lights, interior and exterior. It also has a voltmeter and 12V and USB plugs. My thinking was that I can turn things on & off from the inside of course but also from the outside without even getting in the trailer. The lid light mentioned above will be switched at this panel.

I added LED's to the back face of the cabinets on both sides so they face the bed area. These light up the bed area and also the under bed storage area when the bed lid is lifted. I'll try to post some pics of these.

I removed the AC and the fridge. We don't camp at electrical sites and they weren't really needed anyway. That freed up a lot of space for storage, drawers and other things. I added cabinet doors to where they both were. I closed off the AC opening and made the fridge vent into a pass through for the water heater and pump. I was able to use many of the original parts. Here are a few pics of how things turned out ... some are in progress and have since been finished off.

I also added Jeep wheels and A/T tires that are the same size as the V-PKG model (235/75R/15) and flat top fenders which are a lot more practical as I can put things on top of them while camping.

Last edited by PCO6 on Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby PCO6 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:34 am

Also, if you remove your AC and/or fridge you actually lose ventilation for the trailer itself. When I closed up the openings I found it a bit harder to close the lid because the interior air couldn't vent out the rear sides of the body like it previously did.

I added a standard trailer vent from e-trailer under the right tail light ( https://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trail ... -AVT2.html ) and it definitely helped. I also added a piece of adhesive window screen to keep the bugs out. I might install 2 more, one over each window. I think this will help with general ventilation as the trailer sits closed up when stored.

You'll also see in this pic that I added what looks like a reverse light beside the left tail light. It's actually a porch light and is controlled by the interior switch panel I added.

Last edited by PCO6 on Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby debemyers » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:42 am

I have had my 2020 Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0td for over a year now and it has been at the service department more than at my home and has certainly not seen much camping. The GOOD news is that I will soon have it back as it is at the manufacturers! It took a lot of communication (and a few tears) but Coachmen came through!

I appreciate seeing your mods. The refrigerator space is wasted on me also. If it's not 3-way, what's the point? I didn't take it out. I tried to use it like an ice box but when items were in it, it would pop open during travel. I put a baby lock on it and use it as a pantry unless I am at an electric site. (Which is only when camping with grandchildren)

I use a few of the plastic drawers to organize everything and when traveling, stack them on the bed. Easy peasy set up.

The best thing I did was install gas struts to the bed. It might be standard on the newer models. I can now easily lift the bed to get to the storage there.

I definitely like the clothes hanging rod mod. I sew, and make things (pockets, bags...) to hang over the side walls of the camper. The outside Velcro works great to attach straps to!
debemyers
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:50 am

I bought the plastic connection clip pieces from Coachmen (under $2 per clip), they are just like the one that connects the stretcher bar to the frame. It didn't make the picture, but I do have a connection piece to connect the hanger bar to the stretcher bar in the middle for extra support. I used a 1/2 EMT conduit and had to use a piece of 3/4" pex pipe as a spacer. Couldn't understand not having a 3-way fridge either. The Alpicool CX30 fridge fits nicely in the fridge area sitting on a locking pull out slide. Very friendly on the batteries. Hope your unit returns ready to roll!
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:53 am

debemyers wrote:I have had my 2020 Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0td for over a year now and it has been at the service department more than at my home and has certainly not seen much camping. The GOOD news is that I will soon have it back as it is at the manufacturers! It took a lot of communication (and a few tears) but Coachmen came through!

I appreciate seeing your mods. The refrigerator space is wasted on me also. If it's not 3-way, what's the point? I didn't take it out. I tried to use it like an ice box but when items were in it, it would pop open during travel. I put a baby lock on it and use it as a pantry unless I am at an electric site. (Which is only when camping with grandchildren)

I use a few of the plastic drawers to organize everything and when traveling, stack them on the bed. Easy peasy set up.

The best thing I did was install gas struts to the bed. It might be standard on the newer models. I can now easily lift the bed to get to the storage there.

I definitely like the clothes hanging rod mod. I sew, and make things (pockets, bags...) to hang over the side walls of the camper. The outside Velcro works great to attach straps to!

I'm curious to know what problems you had that required that it be returned to Coachmen. We had a leaky window but that was about it. The rubber seal on both sides of the lid have both drooped after the warranty expired but I fixed that with some better quality 2 sided tape. Other than that it's been pretty good. Not the best build quality but plenty good enough to have fun with.

I like your idea of gas struts for the bed. It's a bit of a pain as is. I'm thinking of modifying ours so each side is independent and can be used as one or both of want to sit in it. I'll have to reduce the under bed storage and move the wall back about a foot be looking for 2 new mattresses if I do.

As for storage on the bed, we walk 2 bikes in the back door and lay them on the bed. It works well.

PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby PCO6 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:55 am

BURNSIDE468 wrote:I bought the plastic connection clip pieces from Coachmen (under $2 per clip), they are just like the one that connects the stretcher bar to the frame. It didn't make the picture, but I do have a connection piece to connect the hanger bar to the stretcher bar in the middle for extra support. I used a 1/2 EMT conduit and had to use a piece of 3/4" pex pipe as a spacer. Couldn't understand not having a 3-way fridge either. The Alpicool CX30 fridge fits nicely in the fridge area sitting on a locking pull out slide. Very friendly on the batteries. Hope your unit returns ready to roll!

That Alpicool fridge is "cool" and much better all round than what they came with.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby debemyers » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:18 pm

Yes, my roof lid was out of alignment. I had the hinge replaced, then there was water damage to the roof, using had that replaced, it fell,... I think that the manufacturer will handle it! :roll:
debemyers
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:42 pm

WOW! That's pretty major. I can't see anything that you or any user could do to make that happen. It's hard to tell what the exact build sequence is but I'm pretty sure the lid is not at the end of the process. You think the assemblers would have caught that. Like a lot of things, when they redo something they make sure it's done right!
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby dogcatcher » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Thank you very much for all the detailed info about your improvements. I am super impressed and have saved this link for future reference.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers